Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by DMTNT
    Thank you for the compliments, gents. I am out of town on the East Coast for the week, but when I get home I will provide some more detail.

DM - Evidance that I am too single for my own good, my dining room has served as my primary workspace on this project. To my credit though, it gets plenty messy.

Markings are from 4 of the Yankee Modelworks 1/144 Seawolf sets. I needed like 8 of those little PROJ markings! Also, the real CARTER has some draft markings amidships that don’t make any sense. At least she does in one photo I saw. Somehow 41 is stenciled below 34 in an immediately adjacent row.

Yes I did assemble a kit. I stood on the shoulders of brilliant men and goddam*it, I built a submarine I can be proud of. A lot of credit goes to you bums, and for that, I thank you.

Stay tuned.

-Brady
    Single!?

On the East Coast?

Stop by our sprawling industrial complex before you leave for the Left Coast. Ellie will fix you up with one of her Filipino buddies. That will straighten your sloppy ass out, quick-time. How do you think I got domesticated?!

What's your next project?

David
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-18-2019, 09:19 AM.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
      Commander
      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Single!?

On the East Coast?

Stop by our sprawling industrial complex before you leave for the Left Coast. Ellie will fix you up with one of her Filipino buddies. That will straighten your sloppy ass out, quick-time. How do you think I got domesticated?!

What's your next project?

David
      I will be in Delaware through Thursday. Maybe I can steal a car and bushwhack my way south and buy you a well deserved beer.

You and Ellie seem to have quite the story from what I have gleaned. Sounds like you each found a good partner, and that is something truly special.

As for what comes next? That November that is shaping up in the next thread over is looking better and better by the day.

-Brady
      Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Brady, your on the west coast? Whereabouts?
        I live in Las Vegas, but also run subs with some guys in SoCal (Yorba Linda Regional Park).
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I will be in Delaware through Thursday. Maybe I can steal a car and bushwhack my way south and buy you a well deserved beer.

You and Ellie seem to have quite the story from what I have gleaned. Sounds like you each found a good partner, and that is something truly special.

As for what comes next? That November that is shaping up in the next thread over is looking better and better by the day.

-Brady
          Well, talking parts done. When you going to be here?

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
            Commander
            • Jun 2018

Originally posted by trout
            Brady, your on the west coast? Whereabouts?
            I live in Las Vegas, but also run subs with some guys in SoCal (Yorba Linda Regional Park).
            Very nice! I am up in Seattle. I don’t really get down your way a whole lot, but I will definitely give you guys a shout the next time I am in the neighborhood.

Mr. M - let me get my bearings first and see what’s up. If I can make it work I will let you know. It would be great to say hello.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Sounds good, Brady. I'll give you the VIP tour.

For that day. (from 4:00) https://youtu.be/voPmfT09jlg
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
                Commander
                • Jun 2018

Sounds good, Brady. I'll give you the VIP tour.

For that day. (from 4:00) https://youtu.be/voPmfT09jlg
                Email inbound, Mr. Joubert.

Comment

• DMTNT
                  Commander
                  • Jun 2018

As promised.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JC1.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	130388

Name:	JC2.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	130389

Name:	JC3.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	130390

Name:	JC4.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	473.2 KB
ID:	130391

Name:	JC5.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	130392

Name:	JC6.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	130393

And my dining room graving dock, err.. table:

Name:	JC7.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	130394

Now let's see how she does on her next trip to the pond. Stay tuned!

-Brady

Comment

• Aug 2008

As promised.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	JC1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	115.4 KB ID:	130388
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	JC2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	455.1 KB ID:	130389
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	JC3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	372.9 KB ID:	130390
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	JC4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	473.2 KB ID:	130391
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	JC5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	434.1 KB ID:	130392
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	JC6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	428.2 KB ID:	130393

And my dining room graving dock, err.. table:
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	JC7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	161.8 KB ID:	130394

Now let's see how she does on her next trip to the pond. Stay tuned!

-Brady
                    For those looking over Brady's and my shoulder:

Ellie and I were pleased to host the guy here last week. I showed him the shop and we all later had a nice sit-down and chat. What a delight to deal with a well dressed, polite and well spoken young man. There is hope yet for the future.

Brady, thanks for posting the pictures of your JC (I just can't spell out the name without puking in my mouth). A very well executed conversion. The grafted on hull sections are seamless, your detailing is note-worthy, the decals (with exception of the rudder) show a successful job of hiding the backing film, and the weathering is spot on for a 'new' boat, or one recently out of the yards or drydock.

Good work, Brady!

And that concludes the ass-kissing portion of this post.

I gave him a half-started 1/96 Type 212 kit. He won't have any problem tooling this thing around his backyard pool! And for God's sake!...…. …… make yourself a proper working space! What's wrong with you?!!!!

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
                      Commander
                      • Jun 2018

For those looking over Brady's and my shoulder:

Ellie and I were pleased to host the guy here last week. I showed him the shop and we all later had a nice sit-down and chat. What a delight to deal with a well dressed, polite and well spoken young man. There is hope yet for the future.

Brady, thanks for posting the pictures of your JC (I just can't spell out the name without puking in my mouth). A very well executed conversion. The grafted on hull sections are seamless, your detailing is note-worthy, the decals (with exception of the rudder) show a successful job of hiding the backing film, and the weathering is spot on for a 'new' boat, or one recently out of the yards or drydock.

Good work, Brady!

And that concludes the ass-kissing portion of this post.

I gave him a half-started 1/96 Type 212 kit. He won't have any problem tooling this thing around his backyard pool! And for God's sake!...…. …… make yourself a proper working space! What's wrong with you?!!!!

David
                      Who are you calling well dressed....

Keep that talk up and you are liable to be visited by the ghost of James Earl Carter, who will haunt you with charity and civility for all eternity. Muhahaha!

And you just had to point out that rudder..... sheesh. Just when I was enjoying my moment. I thought the bird **** would be enough to distract you.

Honestly though, for anyone reading, it was my great pleasure to visit with David and Ellie last week. Better folks you will not sooner find - and I mean that. I am thrilled to see what kind of trouble I can get into with that 212. That was incredibly generous, of you, David. Honestly, it was enough for me to just sit and listen. We have a strange, but tight, little community here, and I consider myself lucky to be able to participate, at whatever level.

This is not the end of the story for this SSN-23. But it has been a fun trip thus far, and I am glad to have been able to share it with all of you.

Cheers!

-Brady

Comment

• HardRock
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Mar 2013

Ahaaaa Braddy, come toward the light. That little 212 is a wonderful thing. The detailing is crisp and very accurate and (more importantly) its 1/96 scale!

Comment

• DMTNT
                          Commander
                          • Jun 2018

Told you there was more to come! Some testing revealed a tiny ingestion of water into the aft space of the SD. Sealing it up and blowing through the modified Shrader valve reveals a small stream of bubbles coming from the aft plane servo rod seal. Thinking I was being clever, I popped it out and replaced it with the spare that came with the SD. Low and behold.... I got the exact same result. Bubbles.

Which leads me to two questions:

1. Could this gap in the seal + the action of the servo rod sliding back & forth be enough to cause a leak?

2. What is the fix? I’ve already tried replacing the seal. The shaft was an impossibly tight fit in the replacement seal, so I lightly sanded it. However, on its own I would say it still fits into its respective seal tighter than the other shafts do.

Name:	42B567B3-BB37-41E6-92D1-E66098E75C9F.jpeg
Views:	222
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	130426

Comment

• HardRock
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Mar 2013

Shaft is slightly out of round. Invest in some silicon grease and lay it on the sucker and see if it stops the leak - otherwise replace the control rod with a nice bright, lusterously smooth, new piece of brass.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Told you there was more to come! Some testing revealed a tiny ingestion of water into the aft space of the SD. Sealing it up and blowing through the modified Shrader valve reveals a small stream of bubbles coming from the aft plane servo rod seal. Thinking I was being clever, I popped it out and replaced it with the spare that came with the SD. Low and behold.... I got the exact same result. Bubbles.

Which leads me to two questions:

1. Could this gap in the seal + the action of the servo rod sliding back & forth be enough to cause a leak?

2. What is the fix? I’ve already tried replacing the seal. The shaft was an impossibly tight fit in the replacement seal, so I lightly sanded it. However, on its own I would say it still fits into its respective seal tighter than the other shafts do.

Name:	42B567B3-BB37-41E6-92D1-E66098E75C9F.jpeg
Views:	222
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	130426
                              Bore out the seal with a .063" bit, that will widen the bore, but will not nick the internal rubber seal. That will give you an easy, non-interference fit between pushrod and seal bore. Use silicon grease as petroleum based grease will eventually break down the Buno-N rubber seal.

It's hard to tell unless you look closely -- but, is the leak around the seal body where it meets the water-side face of the motor-bulkhead, or is the leak from between the pushrod and seal itself?

When I send you that 212 fitting kit I'll throw in a few spare seals for you (I'll bore them out for you).

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
                                Commander
                                • Jun 2018

I think I solved it.

Using all of your suggestions.... 1/16” bit to bore out the shaft opening, plenty of silicone grease, I fabricated a new servo pushrod, and per the recommendation from Scott, I shined it up to a high polish.

Aaaaaaannnnnnnnd it still bubbled. So I took the next step and smeared some RTV around the end of the seal body and the aft cap of the WTC and voila! No more bubbles. I will let it really dry before putting it back in the water, but I am definitely encouraged.

Switching gears - Mister M, could you please enlighten the class once more on your preferred media for sealing a paint job? I know you love automotive paints. How about matte clear-coats?

-Brady

Comment

Working...