1/96 Albacore (after Phase III coversion 1961)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwi 971
    Captain
    • Jan 2015

You're not helping to stop the drooling by posting these pictures sir.......vicky had to bust out the paper towels to deal with it.
    Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
    "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by bwi 971
      You're not helping to stop the drooling by posting these pictures sir.......vicky had to bust out the paper towels to deal with it.
      Permit me to slip out of character long enough to express to you, Scott, Tom and the other Talents that haunt this mad-house how much your kind words mean to me. Peer approval is everything in my world.

OK. Back in character...

… .... You all can kiss my ass! Get off the damned keyboard and back into the shop!

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Should have yourself a skipjack beater on the fun quotient.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
          Should have yourself a skipjack beater on the fun quotient.
          Right you are, Andy. This thing should be a rocket! Net zero torque from the propulsor, and add in the active dorsal 'roll' rudder, and there will be no need to throttle back on this beast because of torque and foil induced rolling.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
            Vice Admiral
            • Mar 2013

Rocket? I think its a going to be an underwater missile. As for kissing you ass - I've never really been attracted to sailors but I'm willing to learn!

Comment

• bwi 971
              Captain
              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by HardRock
              Rocket? I think its a going to be an underwater missile. As for kissing you ass - I've never really been attracted to sailors but I'm willing to learn!
              Dam*it Scott......
              Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
              "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Aug 2008

Taking a break from the 1/96 SWM KILO work till some fresh resin and rubber come in.

So, I broke out the 1/96 ALBACORE project and dialed in the angle-keepers (one for roll and one for pitch); shortened the cylinder a few inches; got the X-tail mixer dialed in; and indexed the SD to the hull with an … drum roll … indexing pin.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

That looks wonderful. I'm amazed at how small that ballast tank is.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
                    That looks wonderful. I'm amazed at how small that ballast tank is.
                    I estimated the displacement of the above waterline portions of the models structure by weighing them. As GRP and resin have about the same density as fresh water, this is a reasonable means of working out the volume of the ballast tank. I then do a little geometry to determine the length of the cylindrical ballast tank -- plugging in a 10-15 percent slop factor -- and I have the ballast tank. Or, so I hope. That's why I have not sent your and Bart's SD's off yet. Won't do that till I verify that the SD I've made for my ALBACORE does the job. Once that's affirmed, I slap together your SD's and we're all square. Should have that in-water test/validation in by this time tomorrow.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                      Welcome to my underwater realm!
                      • Aug 2009

That... is a sexy boat!

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

You must be an aft person.
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

…..…….… and the thread takes an unexpected, disturbing, and questionable turn.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Is this one going to be added to the range of kits, or just a limited run of half a dozen boats?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                              Is this one going to be added to the range of kits, or just a limited run of half a dozen boats?
                              I've secured Scott's permission to go commercial with this subject. It's the plan to offer these as full up GRP, resin, and metal r/c submarine kits, Andy. Either Trident, myself, Nautilus Drydocks, or Loyalhanna will do the production work. They'll be available. Whether or not they are a commercial success (many more than a half-dozen sold) is up to you guys.

I'm celebrating my seventh decade on this rock-pile soon and won't be in the game much longer. So, get this **** while you can.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Trimmed the beast today.

David
                                Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 12-22-2018, 07:31 PM.
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...