1/96 Albacore (after Phase III coversion 1961)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
    Good stuff, Doctor. Those examples take the other approach: two motors, the after one on the outer shaft to the forward propeller, the forward motor with its shaft passing through the after motors armature and on to the after propeller. No slip-rings required as the two motors case is fixed to the models structure.

The prices are too good to be true! Brushless motors are easy to blow dry and service after an afternoons play in the water.

Neat!

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DrSchmidt
      Captain
      • Apr 2014

My pleasure...

Comment

• DrSchmidt
        Captain
        • Apr 2014

Comment

• Aug 2008

That looks to be a very well crafted differential type gear-train. I know from hard-learned experience that if you run tightly meshing gears in the water (an incompressible fluid) that the re-bound against the gears will tear up the bearings in no time! The gears have to have a sloppy fit so water can squirt out when the teeth mesh. That warning in mind, that is a very slick looking counter-rotating drive.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DrSchmidt
            Captain
            • Apr 2014

Never did a counter rotating dsign......but I'd go for a gear in the WTC and seal the drive shafts. Shouldn't be that complicated.....

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
              Never did a counter rotating dsign......but I'd go for a gear in the WTC and seal the drive shafts. Shouldn't be that complicated.....
              Our Navy never licked the sealing problem. Both the ALBACORE and JACK always had significant leakage at the seal(s). I think it a better solution, for us knuckle-dragging model-makers, to put most of the running gear into the wet. This position based on experience I acquired with a 1/60 scale ALBACORE, phase-3.

David
              Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 10-09-2018, 11:52 AM.
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                Detail Nut of the First Order
                • Sep 2010

I admire those guys with those gearboxes, i tried to keep it simple, and it will not take that much room

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010034.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	127923

This is the gear inside the Ko Hyoteki, sloppy as can be and not that big, it will be driven by one shaft.

Manfred.
                Attached Files
                I went underground

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

I've had a few goes at this;

Name:	P1000623.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	127937

Name:	P4130234.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	127938

Name:	IMG_1729.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	477.1 KB
ID:	127939

Name:	IMG_0812.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	516.4 KB
ID:	127940
                  I was never brave enough to install the last one. It was well beyond my comfort zone.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Respect!

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Are you planning on producing this commercially, or just one or two boats?

Comment

• HardRock
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Mar 2013

Best talk with David on that.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
                          Best talk with David on that.
                          With Scott's permission, yes. I've already broached the idea to Kevin Rimrodt (he's marketing the 1/96 THRESHER), and he's game to take over production and sales. But, no one has come to terms yet.

We'll see. There's a big untapped market for quality 1/96 GRP, resin and metal kits.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bwi 971
                              Captain
                              • Jan 2015

Catching up……nice work Scott.

Contra rotating prop:
                              • Gearbox takes to much space
                              • For the motors you need two ESC
                              KIS 1.0….pay attention here please
                              • When two gears are engaged the two gears are rotating in opposite directions.
                              • When two pulleys are connected to each other by a belt, the two pulleys are rotating in the same direction.
                              If you combine the above you get contra rotating shafts with almost no use of space.
                              • Provide the main prop shaft outside the WTC with a gear that engages with an idler gear mounted on the encap.
                              • Provide the idler gear with a pulley fixed on top.
                              • Provide a free running pulley over your propshaft connect poth pulleys by an o-ring.
                              • Connect the 2nd propshaft which slided over the main propshaft to the driven pulley.

Now you have a slim mechanism (I think 1 -1.5cm max) that does not take a lot of space and results in contra rotating propshafts.

Summery:
                              • Rotating direction of the main propshaft is reversed by the idler gear.
                              • This reversed direction is transmitted by a pulley assembly to the 2nd propshaft.

How about that to chew on.......no the idea is not mine (but that does not make it less brilliant LOL).......I found a pic on the www only showing the pulleys....so I was triggered and figured out how it was done.

I made a sketch to clarify..........red are the gears.....green the pulleys

Grtz,
                              Bart Click image for larger version  Name:	ContraRotProp1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	102.6 KB ID:	128074

Last edited by bwi 971; 10-24-2018, 05:08 PM.
                              Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                              "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• HardRock
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Mar 2013

Sorry guys. Internet connection problems. David: those props look fantastic and the control brackets are first class. I can’t wait to get my hands on those.
                                Bart: I saw that system offered commercially a while back and had to look at it for quite a while before I figured it out. I rejected it because I was too dumb to consider mounting it on the rear end of the SD - which is genius by the way.
                                I’m away from home for a few weeks so coverage will be intermittent at best.

Comment

Working...