Moebius Skipjack

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    I think I should have done the submerged trimming first. But I didn't.

I have about 2 pounds of lead in the boat so that the center of the SD is the balance point. I have foam situated so the boat is floating at the surfaced waterline.

For submerged trim I rubber banded foam to the aft deck and have the boat level but it's deck awash and waterline at the base of the sail. What should I do to get it lower?

I'd check in Bob's book but Amazon is screwing me on delivery.

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    Sure. I placed a piece of blue tape on the exhaust housing. That is the center of the boat fore and aft. Since I have weight in the bow due to all the hardware for the torpedo doors, I first added the two 4 once weights to the left in the picture. At this point the boat is balanced on a small piece of wood at the fore & aft center. I then added the two larger weights forward and balanced against those with the 4 weights to the left under the sub driver. The boat is now balanced assembled on the fore and aft center. I left a space between the foremost and aftmost weights for water to drain when it needs to. Nothing to show yet on the flotation. The wire mess you see is for underwater LED's.

David's The Joys of Trimming out a Wet-Hull type R/C Submarine document

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3690.jpeg Views:	15 Size:	61.1 KB ID:	153451

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3691.jpeg Views:	15 Size:	59.7 KB ID:	153450

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3692.jpeg Views:	17 Size:	97.5 KB ID:	153449
    Last edited by Ken_NJ; 09-16-2021, 09:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Das Boot
    replied
    Ken, can you show where you placed the weight?

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    I have just over 2 pounds in now. Carving up the foam today!

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by wlambing
    I would suggest using 1 lb as a starting point. To keep her upright when she goes into the water. I've installed that amount in my Sculpin , but am not anywhere near close to trimming her out. I did the same in my XXIII and she got a decent rough trim in at Subase this past weekend.
    More like two-pounds. That big screw imparts a significant torque when you go high-throttle on this boat.

David

Leave a comment:

• wlambing
    replied
    I would suggest using 1 lb as a starting point. To keep her upright when she goes into the water. I've installed that amount in my Sculpin , but am not anywhere near close to trimming her out. I did the same in my XXIII and she got a decent rough trim in at Subase this past weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    For those with a Skipjack. About how much weight did you add? I'm working on trimming the boat this week.

BTW, David helped correct the problem with the ballast tank not emptying. A rubber plug was lodged in the manifold going into the ballast tank. That plug was used to position the manifold on the SD.
    Last edited by Ken_NJ; 09-14-2021, 09:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Ken_NJ
    Anyone have an idea what I can try to get the pump working? Maybe a bad pump? See my previous post.
    The external 'discharge' hose leading to the top of the ballast tank. Is it discharging air or sucking air? You may have a simple reversal of the plumbing here. I assume the LPB motor is running?

Call me: 757 418 0779 ASAP. I leave for Groton in a few hours.

David

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    Anyone have an idea what I can try to get the pump working? Maybe a bad pump? See my previous post.

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    No more leaks. No condensation. Everything appears to be working except not able to drain the ballast tank. I tried switching the tubing at the manifold, no change. Pump seems to be working OK. Ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3677.jpeg
Views:	254
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	153202

Leave a comment:

replied
    Don't have these problems with my surface boats. Maybe I should stick with them.

But no. I know you like ribbing me.
    ...it's what I live for.

David
    The Horrible

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    Don't have these problems with my surface boats. Maybe I should stick with them.

But no. I know you like ribbing me.

Leave a comment:

replied
    I reseated all the lines. No leaks like I was getting. But there's some condensation appearing near the bulkhead.
    That's likely from the moisture coming off the safety float-valve suction-nipple when water gets into that unit. Normal. No sweat. All is good. Boy!... you are one pain in the ass!

David

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    I reseated all the lines. No leaks like I was getting. But there's some condensation appearing near the bulkhead.

Leave a comment:

replied
    You either forgot to make up the induction line from the snorkel -- in which case the pump takes a suction from the interior, then sea. Or, your snorkel is leaking, or a portion of the induction plumbing between SD and snorkel has a leak.

David

Leave a comment:

Working...