Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    Got that taken care of.

Now I have water in the line going to the pump. But no water in the line from the manifold. Any idea about this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3661.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	153074

Name:	IMG_3660.jpeg
Views:	273
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	153073

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Yeah, sounds like the brass tube that forms the pass-through (its the discharge side of the pump) is split or something -- only that would account for water getting around it and into it as well.

Replace it. It's secured with CA. As CA is very weak to shock-loads simply grab the wet-end side with pliers and quickly rotate. That will break the CA bond. Replace the tube and re-test.

David

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    One week to Groton. Ugh.

Water testing the SD. I saw water leaking in someplace on the aft bulkhead. I taped paper towels around where it could be. Immersed it again and saw water saturate at one of the inlets. Also saw water going into the hose. The seal around the brass tube is leaking. The water seeping into the tube, maybe my plug is not sealed good enough. The water coming in around the tube can be sealed and fixed. If the plug is good then how is water getting in? Can the brass tube be compromised and causing both?

Name:	IMG_3656.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	153049

Name:	IMG_3657.jpeg
Views:	274
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	153048

Name:	IMG_3659.jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	153047

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Ken_NJ
    David, can you post a pictures of the masts. Working on airbrushing them. And did you get my email about the mesh?
    Yeah, that needle-point mesh looks like it has utility.

I'm sending you plastic mesh sheets today. Look for them by mid-next-week.

Here are some shots of actual SKIPJACK boats as well as model SKIPJACK's I've assembled and built. With emphasis on the masts, fairings, optics, and antennas:

David

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    David, can you post a pictures of the masts. Working on airbrushing them. And did you get my email about the mesh?

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    LOL, will do, thanks David.

This should do as well. Needle point plastic sheet from the craft store. https://www.michaels.com/rug-canvas-.../10035953.html

Leave a comment:

replied
    LOL, yea I buy a 10 yard roll for 6 square inches.

I do have some metal screen that I use to make diamond plate on another boat. Impregnated it with resin, came out great looking. But I think it's to fine for the submarines purpose.
    I'll send you some screen. I'm the idiot who bought a whole roll of the stuff years ago. Email me your mailing address, Ken.

David

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    LOL, yea I buy a 10 yard roll for 6 square inches.

I do have some metal screen that I use to make diamond plate on another boat. Impregnated it with resin, came out great looking. But I think it's to fine for the submarines purpose.
    Last edited by Ken_NJ; 08-28-2021, 07:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    What do you use here? For the mesh? I wandered HD and did not find anything suitable? Looks to be some sort of plastic strainer thingy.

Name:	mesh.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	152849
    In days of old, when AC was not the norm, we had this magic material that would keep bugs out and fresh-air in. It was called 'screen'. Back then it was metal mesh, today it's plastic, and easily pulled into compound curves. At your big-box store. Ask for, 'bug screen'. Sold by the roll.

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    What do you use here? For the mesh? I wandered HD and did not find anything suitable? Looks to be some sort of plastic strainer thingy.

Name:	mesh.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	152849

Leave a comment:

replied
    I should have checked with you before I taped it off. Now what?
    Mask the buoy and touch up the perimeter with the same dark-gray as you used on the hull. Duh!

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    I should have checked with you before I taped it off. Now what?

Leave a comment:

replied

Always mask so the engraved trenches get the darker color.

David

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    Thanks David and Tom. Working on it.

I knew that valley would be a problem. I did a decent job taping the perimeter, so I thought. How can I get these to appear better? Either you tape to the inside or the outside, but in both instances I thought they may not come out clean.

Name:	IMG_3638.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	152811

Name:	IMG_3639.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	152812

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Mask dead lights with white glue. Once painted, you can wash the white glue out.

Leave a comment:

Working...