1/96 Project 1710 Beluga

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HardRock
    replied
    In eager anticipation of the arrival of the NEW SD from Dave, I have been finalising the gearbox design for the contra-rotating props. This is it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1729.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	477.1 KB
ID:	126389

There are two ways to go here. Either a series of bevel or mitre gears like this set up, or a gear cluster using double gear cogs. The former is simpler the latter is better - if you can find the approipriate cogs. I couldn't get hold of the damned things so this is what I'm going with. And it works incidently. I'll cast up some props tomorrow and report back (from the hospital, probably, where I will be recouperating from the third degree burns). I love this hobby.

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    "brain stroke" Ho, ho, ho.

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

... dibs on 'the Good'.
    I guess that makes Bart, "The Bad" then. I've got dibbs on the "The Ugly", just ask Her Majesty!

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by bwi 971
    That is smart David.....those things are so obvious once you have catched them....but so hard to spot.

grtz,
    Bart
    So true Bart. I don't design as much as bump into things. If there is any 'skill' to this, it's the ability to separate the chaff from the wheat. There are so many wrong turns till the right path reveals itself.

David

Leave a comment:

• bwi 971
    replied
    That is smart David.....those things are so obvious once you have catched them....but so hard to spot.

grtz,
    Bart

Leave a comment:

replied
    I'm working up the little SD's for you, me and Bart. While doing that I had a brain stroke ... er .... brain storm: replace the low pressure blower (LPB) electronic switch with a mechanical one working off the ballast sub-system servo? Cheaper, easier, and frees up a receiver output port.

As you can see, the same limit-switch support is applicable to the entire range of SD sizes:

David

Leave a comment:

replied

mmmmm......how about The Good, the Bad and the Ugly then.......

Grtz
    Ugly
    ... dibs on 'the Good'.

Leave a comment:

• bwi 971
    replied
    Originally posted by HardRock
    The Three Musketeers? Wait a minute; I don't think there was much thinking going on with those guys. The Three Amigos? Nah, Bart will think that an amigo is some kind of tropical fruit. I have it; the Three Grumpy (Old) Farts. Bart can join now and add the "Old" when he gets his quals finished.
    (in the voice of an action-movie announcer) Their hell fed evilness spread equally across the globe! There is no escaping them! Their objective: WORLD DOMINATION! (cue the Imperial March theme).
    David
    mmmmm......how about The Good, the Bad and the Ugly then.......

Grtz
    Ugly

Leave a comment:

replied
    The Three Musketeers? Wait a minute; I don't think there was much thinking going on with those guys. The Three Amigos? Nah, Bart will think that an amigo is some kind of tropical fruit. I have it; the Three Grumpy (Old) Farts. Bart can join now and add the "Old" when he gets his quals finished.
    (in the voice of an action-movie announcer) Their hell fed evilness spread equally across the globe! There is no escaping them! Their objective: WORLD DOMINATION! (cue the Imperial March theme).

David

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied

Leave a comment:

replied
    After some thinking (gasp!) I switched the BALUGA cylinder from a 2.5 to a 2-inch diameter unit. It gives me the length to produce a ballast tank of nearly twice the capacity needed to get this model up to designed waterline. And the smaller diameter presents little of the ballast tank above designed waterline, so not much wasted buoyancy with the smaller diameter system. I've already cut cylinders and have sized the bulkhead for three units. One for Scott, one for Bart, and one for me.

David
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 05-11-2018, 11:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

replied

Yes it's for Scott's lovely BELUGA....no way around....I have to squeeze her assembly in.

grtz,
    Bart
    Good. I'll get two birds with one stone -- I'll put together both yours and Scott's SD's this week. E-mail me your shipping address.

David

Leave a comment:

• bwi 971
    replied

It's a 2.5" diameter cylinder. Is it for Scott's little BALUGA? If so I can put one together quick and get it off to you. If it's for another boat I need to know the maximum length of cylinder I can get into that boat and how many ounces of water the ballast tank has to hold. I'll take it from there. I assume you need a single-shaft version?

David

Yes it's for Scott's lovely BELUGA....no way around....I have to squeeze her assembly in.

grtz,
    Bart

Leave a comment:

replied

Can you give the specs on that SD David, I will need one in the future.

grtz,
    Bart

It's a 2.5" diameter cylinder. Is it for Scott's little BALUGA? If so I can put one together quick and get it off to you. If it's for another boat I need to know the maximum length of cylinder I can get into that boat and how many ounces of water the ballast tank has to hold. I'll take it from there. I assume you need a single-shaft version?

David

Leave a comment:

• bwi 971
    replied
    This is the finished boat. Add SD and some weight/foam for balance and off she goes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4040232 (1).jpg
Views:	150
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	125854
    I'm catching up on the forum, darn she looks good Scott.
    grtz,
    Bart

Leave a comment:

Working...