Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bwi 971
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
    Look what I just got in the mail. Looks pretty slick, and I have a stock SD that will fit this thing and provide plenty of ballast water to get the beast up to designed waterline.

David
    Can you give the specs on that SD David, I will need one in the future.

grtz,
    Bart

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by trout
    Is that really only 3.15 Oz? Nice craftsmanship!
    is the rule that every Ounce is a cubic inch of ballast? If not what is the way you work the lift needed?
    .55 ounce is the weight of one cubic inch of fresh water. But, here's how I do it -- correlating the specific gravity and weight of the material to the amount of fresh water it displaces:

Your establish how much water is displaced by the upper portions of the hull. That's done by weighing that portion (estimate, as you have to discount the below waterline portions in this case). The weight has to be corrected as to the density of the material; its specific gravity (the standard here is the weight of one ounce of fresh water). You simply multiply the materials specific gravity (usually a bit over one or slightly less than one) by the dry weight -- like you see on that scale. Corrected for material density you have the weight of water the above waterline portions of the hull displaces -- and that's the weight of water your boat needs to take on to get the boat to that magic 'neutral' buoyant condition. That last shot is checking the weight of water this particular SD contains within its ballast tank. Came out to nearly five-ounces. This will work for Scott's little BALUGA.

Sometimes fortune shines.

David

Leave a comment:

• Subculture
    replied
    Originally posted by trout
    is the rule that every Ounce is a cubic inch of ballast? If not what is the way you work the lift needed?
    Can't top the metric system when working with volume and weight. 1000ml of water equals 1000g of weight. Remember it's only displacement that matters when calculating ballast tanks, the mass of a material has no effect, although it affects other factors like stability and buoyancy below the waterline.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by HardRock
    Looks like it arrived in one piece - which is a bonus considering how far it travelled.
    It was a top-notch packing job you did. Particularly that containment you provided to protect the tail cone stabilizers. I now have three of your kits, and the improvement in your work shows.

David

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Looks like it arrived in one piece - which is a bonus considering how far it travelled.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Is that really only 3.15 Oz? Nice craftsmanship!

Leave a comment:

replied
    Look what I just got in the mail. Looks pretty slick, and I have a stock SD that will fit this thing and provide plenty of ballast water to get the beast up to designed waterline.

David

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Basic contra rotating gearbox. Standby for water ski activity.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4130233.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	125911

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by HardRock
    Its not that big. Five off and that's it. One for me and one for each the people that inspired me. Seems like a good trade to me.
    Soon as mine arrives I'll make it job-one to work out an SD for the BELUGA, one for me and one for you (along with the long overdue ZULU SD). Love your work.

David

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Its not that big. Five off and that's it. One for me and one for each the people that inspired me. Seems like a good trade to me.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Beautiful. Welcome to the big-time, pal.

David

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    That's it. Production halted, items ready to ship! Hurrah!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	P4080231.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	125873

Leave a comment:

replied
    well done, sir!

David

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    The mould is working. I still have some problems with random air bubbles being trapped in it but its not all that bad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4070231.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	536.9 KB
ID:	125863

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    David. I have the carbon fiber ready to go; Tom. "Hello nit, this is picker, over". You're right - I haven't looked at it from that angle so I'll ge on it and fix it!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...