Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Surface tension.

spray Pam in all wet spaces within the hull and re-trim.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

If I may, would like to offer 2.5mm is not large enough 3 to 3.5 will stop the surface tension. Or you can make your vents oval in shape. In the US I use a 1/8 inch drill bit (something like 3.1mm).
      slow getting back to water line sounds more like water is getting trapped and slowly draining out,relieving the extra weight bringing your sub to waterline. Are there areas in the freeboard or sail that may need some drainage passageways?
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• The Boattrainman
        Commander
        • Mar 2016

Thank you guys, I will open out my vents a little to bigger than 3mm, plus give the sub a wash in Pam (I'm assuming that's washing up liquid).

Rob
        ''We're after men, and I wish to God I was with them........!''

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by The Boattrainman
          Thank you guys, I will open out my vents a little to bigger than 3mm, plus give the sub a wash in Pam (I'm assuming that's washing up liquid).

Rob
          No. It's a vegetable based oil.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Stephen Vick
            Lieutenant
            • Nov 2018

Don’t do the Pam spray until after you paint!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Stephen Vick
              Don’t do the Pam spray until after you paint!
              Good advice! Should have considered the stage of work. So, don't trim till you've painted and weathered this model.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                Commander
                • Mar 2016

Thanks guys, will look at the vegetable oil solutiion once painted.

Rob

Comment

• MFR1964
                  Detail Nut of the First Order
                  • Sep 2010

Rob, my type VII has the same issue, when you make a static dive and re-surface, water will stick underneath your deck, giving you a wet deck, this will add weight, after some time the water will find it's way restoring you to your waterline, that's normal with this type of boats.
                  As you stated diving dynamic you don't have this problem, it's the same with mine, movement speeds up the proces in removing the water from your deck, it will be interesting to see if using the PAM can solve that problem.

Manfred.
                  I went underground

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                    Commander
                    • Mar 2016

Thanks Manfred.

That's very reassuring, I think the complex hull shape doesn't help either, def getting air trapped at the top of the saddle tanks, but I can't drill any more holes or it will look terrible.

I wondered would the very thin openings on the deck be an issue, but glad it's an issue with Type VIIs and not my build.

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by The Boattrainman
                      Thanks Manfred.

That's very reassuring, I think the complex hull shape doesn't help either, def getting air trapped at the top of the saddle tanks, but I can't drill any more holes or it will look terrible.

I wondered would the very thin openings on the deck be an issue, but glad it's an issue with Type VIIs and not my build.

Rob
                      About those thin slits in the deck. When dry (the first dive of the session) they are all open and vent the hull quickly and thoroughly. However, when you surface, water tension blocks those little slits with water, inhibiting the next attempt to dive, unless you give the deck time to dry out. When wet, the deck just won't vent properly. Hello, Pam.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Stephen Vick
                        Lieutenant
                        • Nov 2018

Reminds me when I built the 1/96 scale model of Trutta SSN 421. The slits were about the same. Dive the boat and watch the bubbles race around under the deck , just couldn’t break surface tension. She would surface with a pronounced list port or Starboard randomly. I solved it with some hidden but unscale 1/8 inch holes fore and aft , and along the deck edge. I think on this Type VII One could hide, a couple good holes under the net cutter supports, open up the bullnose , hide a couple under the wire guide supports aft, oh and yes, our good friend Pam. It’s not the Type VII in particular that exihibits this problem. All early submarines with those big flat decks do this. I think it’s one reason why the stock Robbe deck had such outrageously out of scale deck openings.

Comment

• MFR1964
                          Detail Nut of the First Order
                          • Sep 2010

The remark about the slits is right, hope that using pam will solve that.
                          I'm not sure but, it would not surprice me, that my teacher( from which the boat originally was) counted in the wet deck when trimming it on the waterline, those boats where on the waterline when fully loaded and ran much higher when unloaded, maybe you can trim her such way.
                          As for airblubbles, the towingtube at the bow is opened up and i've got me some actual ventholes at the stern.

Manfred.
                          I went underground

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                            Commander
                            • Mar 2016

As I start the paint job, I've taken those tips on board, I've had to add some extra vents on the saddle tanks, just too much air was trapped below. Not prototypical, but it's a trade off between scale and not effing working properly.............practicality won in the end!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1843 (800x600).jpg Views:	2 Size:	239.5 KB ID:	129461

The sub gets a coat of Halfords primer from a rattle can, I'm using a slightly heavy paint for the first coat which will be sanded back and subsequent ones will be a lighter primer..........

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1844 (800x600).jpg
Views:	317
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	129467

.............plus intermediate steps of filling and sanding the blemishes, mostly the seams are an issue......

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1845 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	252.0 KB ID:	129463Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1846 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	275.6 KB ID:	129464

........but it is a massive relief after almost two years to see a uniform colour, all the odd shapes and colours have blended. With the hull sections I expect to paint/fill/sand/repaint around four times, I should have all the blemishes sorted by that stage.

The additional parts get a coat of primer also.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1847 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	286.2 KB ID:	129465

-
                            On the downside I broke the scratchbuilt 2.2mm deck gun at a point that can't be re-soldered, so ordered the 1/35 kit from Accurate Armour, will use the best of boat guns for version 2.

The Boattrainman
                            Last edited by The Boattrainman; 01-09-2019, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• Stephen Vick
                              Lieutenant
                              • Nov 2018

Shapeways Has the 20 mm in 1/40 scale.

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                                Commander
                                • Mar 2016

The preliminary coat is now on, next up will be masking and adding the dark anti-foul on the lower hull.

Name:	IMG_1848 (800x600).jpg
Views:	274
Size:	333.7 KB
ID:	129553

Name:	IMG_1849 (800x600).jpg
Views:	271
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	129554

The Boattrainman

Comment

Working...