X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Boattrainman
    Commander
    • Mar 2016

Hi my friend.

On a first pass, I couldn't make head nor tail of the thing, but as the years go by, and I go back time and again with more knowledge I discover what Norbert means.

There's a need for a total upgrade of the book now, it's become very dated in parts, though the basics and science are still very much the same. There's a need for a step by step primer to help total newbies (the web is probably where most learn), referencing new kit manufacturers, new equipment, new opportunities for kit bashing, and how it's not as daunting as it used to be to make a half decent model sub. The best model books I've used (railways, helis, tanks), explain the science and techniques, then take the reader through a build up of a model or two to show how it's done.

Rob

''We're after men, and I wish to God I was with them........!''

Comment

• The Boattrainman
      Commander
      • Mar 2016

A throw reverser is built into the front hull, using a large plastic former epoxied into the hull and with two brass screws through the bottom which will be covered by filler.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1233 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	217.2 KB ID:	123310Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1234 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	194.7 KB ID:	123312

The reverser ensures front and rear dive planes work against each other and also lifts the connection point from the snake higher so it doesn't have to bend too much.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1232 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	238.8 KB ID:	123311

Middle and forward hulls are bonded together by standing one on top of the other and using a length of elastic string to ensure they are straight, the fit is so good nothing is needed to hold it all together, one of the kits good points.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1235 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	251.1 KB ID:	123316

The WTC is bonded into the middle hull and all the bulkheads are now installed, but not where the kit instructions suggest, instead they are set under the Wikinger deck where it is solid.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1241 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	311.7 KB ID:	123313

There are five bulkheads in the shot below, and a short section will be removable for access to the front planes and the reverser.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1242 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	281.2 KB ID:	123314Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1237 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	269.5 KB ID:	123315

One final bit of kit cleverness, there are round pieces of 3mm styrene that are bonded to bulkheads and the WTC that just touch the inner hull giving great strength.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1229 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	212.9 KB ID:	123317Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1231 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	188.0 KB ID:	123318

At the bayonet lock the bulkhead is bonded to the top of the ring dead in line with the edges, as there will have to be a very tight fit as both hull sections rotate against each other to open/close.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1227 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	240.6 KB ID:	123319

Sealing the WTC permanently into the hull is not ideal, I would like to be able to slide the WTC in and out, but the kit design uses the WTC to solidify the hull!

The Boattrainman
      Last edited by The Boattrainman; 09-15-2017, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• The Boattrainman
        Commander
        • Mar 2016

Here is a schematic of how the whole dive planes mechanism will work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1244 (800x600).jpg
Views:	390
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	123325

The area that will require a bit of a think is where the bowden cable breaks at the hull join..................!

The Boattrainman

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by The Boattrainman
          Here is a schematic of how the whole dive planes mechanism will work.

Name:	IMG_1244 (800x600).jpg
Views:	390
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	123325

The area that will require a bit of a think is where the bowden cable breaks at the hull join..................!

The Boattrainman
          Don't mechanically link the stern and bow planes. They will only work at a specific speed and depth. All other areas of the operational envelop will give nothing but grief ... porpoise city!

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• The Boattrainman
            Commander
            • Mar 2016

I hear ya buddy.

Can you talk me through this, what's the diff between this and having the fore and aft linked at the Transmitter end using a mixing programme?

Rob

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

I guess the point is still don't. The front is for depth control and the aft is for your leveler. Separate channels or some levelers do not even need a channel, set and run.
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I hear ya buddy.

Can you talk me through this, what's the diff between this and having the fore and aft linked at the Transmitter end using a mixing programme?

Rob
                Rob,

Linking the bow and stern planes to work in lock-step -- either by transmitter mixing or mechanical linkage -- is the wrong way to proceed.

Bow planes are for depth control. The stern planes are to control the boats angle.

Typically the stern planes have a longer moment-arm (distance from where the force is applied in relation to the vehicles center of rotation) than the bow planes. The bow planes, more closely coupled to the c.g. tend to exert a dynamic force up and down rather than a rotational moment, which is achieved with the stern planes.

If your r/c system does not have enough channels to permit independent control of these two surfaces, then put the stern planes on an angle keeper and leave that device to autonomously keep the boat on or near to a zero bubble-angle, with you out of the loop. But, do control the bow planes so you can control the submerged models depth.

David
                (stood helm and planes watches on the TRUTTA, and WEBSTER)
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                  Commander
                  • Mar 2016

Brilliant Dave.

Thanks for the explanation, I get the set up now. Will be able to put the Auto Leveller on the rear planes and the fore planes under direct control. Just need an extra opening for a third servo.

Just as well I put that schematic up before going any further.

Rob

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                    Commander
                    • Mar 2016

Here's a revised schematic, going to be a busy aft section, as the rudder servo and On/Off switch have to be factored in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1245 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	265.7 KB ID:	123335

The prop shafts are now set in line, the photo below shows the difference with the kit prop shroud and it's new location.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1247 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	255.1 KB ID:	123336Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1248 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	247.7 KB ID:	123337

It's all nicely in line as per the prototype........................ but..................

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1250 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	236.9 KB ID:	123338Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1251 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	249.6 KB ID:	123339

.................the prop shafts are seriously low down in the hull, with only 7mm of a gap between them and the WTC wall, just enough for a universal coupler, but no way can I direct drive to the motor shafts! This is clearly why the kit designers had the shafts angle upwards towards the bow, interesting times ahead.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1249 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	248.2 KB ID:	123340

The Boattrainman

Last edited by The Boattrainman; 09-19-2017, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

The 'reach-around' to get the pushrod running forward from the after face of your WTC should not be so complicated. Try this:
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF3395.JPG Views:	1 Size:	16.5 KB ID:	123343
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF3390.JPG Views:	1 Size:	20.5 KB ID:	123344
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	016 (5).JPG Views:	1 Size:	56.3 KB ID:	123345

Drop the Bowden Snake and install a floating (magnet at each end) aluminum tube pushrod between motor-bulkhead and bow plane bell-crank. KISS!!!!!

David
                      Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 09-19-2017, 07:01 PM.
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                        Commander
                        • Mar 2016

David,

Yes, def thinking magnets for the break point on the fore plane push rod.

Just on another note, the discussion on having no linkage between the fore and aft dive planes got me thinking, what's the best set up for the Skipjack. Currently I have the Auto Leveller on the aft planes of the Skipjack and then an electronic mixer in the Trans driving both the sail planes and the aft planes, now I'm thinking that's not ideal.

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

David,

Yes, def thinking magnets for the break point on the fore plane push rod.

Just on another note, the discussion on having no linkage between the fore and aft dive planes got me thinking, what's the best set up for the Skipjack. Currently I have the Auto Leveller on the aft planes of the Skipjack and then an electronic mixer in the Trans driving both the sail planes and the aft planes, now I'm thinking that's not ideal.

Rob
                          Ch-1 rudder
                          ch-2 sail planes
                          ch-3 throttle
                          ch-4 ballast sub-system
                          ch-5 stern planes

Disable the mixing between stern and bow planes.

Preparing for N.C. City Lake fun-run on 11-27-15, SKIPJACK check-out at local divers training pool.

Ray Mason and Joe Oliver once again organized a fun-run for local (and not so local) radio control submarine model enthusiasts. And, as before, the event was...

My 1/96 SKIPJACK and friend Kevin Rimrodt's 1/144 Destroyer engage in a bit of Cold War cat-and-mouse. Phil is driving the sub, Al is conning the target .......

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                            Commander
                            • Mar 2016

Thanks David.

Will try that this weekend, couldn't figure why the Skipjack was such a handfull to control.

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thanks David.

Will try that this weekend, couldn't figure why the Skipjack was such a handfull to control.

Rob
                              Set it up as I describe and you'll be pleasantly surprised. (poet and don't know it)

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                                Commander
                                • Mar 2016

One thing rarely modelled on the Robbe sub is the stern torpedo tube outlet between the rudders, here's how I did it.

A rough shaped hole is cut to the shape.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1254 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	233.4 KB ID:	123365

13mm plastic tube is inserted, then cut to length.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1255 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	270.6 KB ID:	123366

The tube is marked with a pencil to the shape of the hole.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1256 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	252.0 KB ID:	123367

The tube is cut around the pencil marks to give a complex shape.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1257 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	222.9 KB ID:	123368

This shape is dropped in the hole and drops of super glue are dripped around the edges, small pieces of round plastic reinforce the join

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1258 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	214.0 KB ID:	123369

The joints are filled.................

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1259 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	217.6 KB ID:	123370

...............and sanded to give an even finish, a large drill bit to the diameter of the hole was covered in sandpaper and used to extend the curve to stern.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1260 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	229.3 KB ID:	123371

Drill bit standing in for exiting torpedo.

Name:	IMG_1262 (800x600).jpg
Views:	458
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	123372

I've no idea what the door looks like, will have to wing that bit.

The Boattrainman
                                Last edited by The Boattrainman; 09-22-2017, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Working...