Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Okay understood. Only printed out one prop on my fdm machine, and I was pretty pleased with the way it came out. As you iterated it needed a lot of supports, but they trimmed away easily, and the prop needed a light sand anyway to remove the lines you get with fdm printing. No experience with resin printing, are the supports a bit more tricky to remove?

Comment

• bwi 971
      Captain
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Subculture
      Okay understood. Only printed out one prop on my fdm machine, and I was pretty pleased with the way it came out. As you iterated it needed a lot of supports, but they trimmed away easily, and the prop needed a light sand anyway to remove the lines you get with fdm printing. No experience with resin printing, are the supports a bit more tricky to remove?
      The resin is quite hard so the supports tent to breakaway when removing them, and that will leave a pit or in the worst case take an edge of your part with them.
      Also, with resin printing if you print a bore that is placed under an angle, you are not ending up with a cylindrical shaped hole, it will be deformed at the top. But once you figured all that out the hard way, it is very enjoyable (except the post-processing, that is a real mess).

Grtz,
      Bart
      Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
      "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

I see. PLA is quite brittle too, so I tend to trim the supports away with a scalpel, cutters etc. and then clean back any remains with small files, sanding strips etc.

Comment

• bwi 971
          Captain
          • Jan 2015

Needed to free some space on my workbench, so I decided to tackle the tools for the stern.
          It will be a 3 piece tool.

First, I casted the inner core of the stern in RTV silicon rubber, this tool will be used to make the stern hollow. You can see that the index ring, for paring the stern to the hull, is integrated in this tool.

Click image for larger version

Name:	core-casting-001.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	132825

Name:	core-casting-002.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	132826

Next up was the tool of the stern master, various cores are inserted, used for: prop shaft bearings, rudder stock’s and alinement pins to align the rudders and planes with the root’s that are integrated in the stern.
          It took me a while to get everything properly aligned, you can see the small bushings on the brass rods that I had to order to make it happen.

Name:	Master-casting-001.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	132828

Name:	Master-casting-002.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	132829

Name:	Master-casting-003.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	132827

How it fits together.

Name:	Assembly-casting-001.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	132824

Next up will be tool of the other side of the master and then the casting of the stern in resin.

grtz,
          Bart

"Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Beautiful work. Beautiful!

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
              Vice Admiral
              • Mar 2013

What he said!

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

I can't even speak.......
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Davidh
                  Captain
                  • Nov 2010

I could completely retool the back end of the 667 to keep up with Bart, but can anybody? I don't know if I have the energy.....

Dave

Comment

• MFR1964
                    Detail Nut of the First Order
                    • Sep 2010

Excellent Bart, we metric europeans rule!!

Manfred.
                    I went underground

Comment

• bwi 971
                      Captain
                      • Jan 2015

The fwd grating on the sail was integrated in the print but it didn’t turn out as I wanted. Before making the mould I had to address that.

Name:	20190712_0754551.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	133007

New part.

Name:	20190712_0906107.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	133010

Traced the contours of the new part on the sail, contour was cut out and grinded to take the new part.

Name:	20190712_0809089.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	133008

Name:	20190712_0905268.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	133009

New part was glued in place with CA, applied baking soda to fill up the gaps, air dried putty was used to fill up the small imperfections.

Name:	20190712_0906485.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	133011

Name:	20190712_0906426.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	133013

Name:	20190712_1535393.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	133012

Name:	20190712_1534144.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	133014

Grtz,
                      Bart
                      "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• SSBN659
                        Commander
                        • Feb 2009

Been awhile since your most recent update and I eagerly await your next one.

SSBN659
                        Will Rogers

Comment

• HardRock
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Mar 2013

Me too, you Belgian muffin. Some of us have genuine excuses for not posting (and some others come from chocolate making countries)! Get with the program; I'm dying (literaly) to see this thing finished.

Comment

• bwi 971
                            Captain
                            • Jan 2015

Hi Guy's, I'm stil around. I'm busy for "who must me obeyed".

Kids outgrow the garden so we desided to turn it into our little paradise.
                            Landscaping the garden is almost finished, new shed, paving and flower boxed (don't know if this is a word).

As compensation we agreed that I can move my workshop from the basement to the garage were I have daylight, yes.
                            The content of garage (now acting as a laundry room) has to move to the basement, need to install an additional pump for the washing machine and replace the stairs, the one in now is to steep to be save (I was used to it but it will be to dangerous going up and down with the laundry).

So I'm busy on all front except on the sub, I haven't a workshop anymore, beginning of march is my goal to have it ready.

Grtz,
                            Bart

"Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by bwi 971
                              Hi Guy's, I'm stil around. I'm busy for "who must me obeyed".

Kids outgrow the garden so we desided to turn it into our little paradise.
                              Landscaping the garden is almost finished, new shed, paving and flower boxed (don't know if this is a word).

As compensation we agreed that I can move my workshop from the basement to the garage were I have daylight, yes.
                              The content of garage (now acting as a laundry room) has to move to the basement, need to install an additional pump for the washing machine and replace the stairs, the one in now is to steep to be save (I was used to it but it will be to dangerous going up and down with the laundry).

So I'm busy on all front except on the sub, I haven't a workshop anymore, beginning of march is my goal to have it ready.

Grtz,
                              Bart
                              Go get 'em, Bart. First things first.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bwi 971
                                Captain
                                • Jan 2015

Making progress on the shop. Changing the workshop from the basement to the garage is a logistic challenge. The shed serves like an intermediate warehouse. The basement is rearranged as a laundry now. Made a decent railing on the stairs for now so nobody will take the fast way down, I will make a new stair after everything is moved out. My machinery is still there although dismantled.

Works done on the garage and why are some things done as they are:
                                • Existing cabinets were removed and disposed off.
                                • Existing tiling removed and disposed off, Toughed-up plastering .
                                • Southerly brick wall, water barrier installed, applied new plaster.
                                • New shelving installed, wanted to keep max floor spacing, designed shelf so I can walk underneath (just).
                                • Made “wood board” shelf above the garage door, less high but much deeper to store spare boards and large cutoffs.
                                • Installed french cleats around the shop, I want a modular shop where I can move things around when necessary, everything you see hanging on the walls can be moved around.
                                • Rearranged lightening fixtures.
                                • Installed range hood for extraction of fumes, also the hood can slide from left to right.
                                To be continued….
                                Grtz,
                                Bart

Name:	86980646_145640289895983_5280153117764091904_n1.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	136882

Name:	87715781_2778960185553652_1183900867489693696_n2.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	136883
                                "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

Working...