Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwi 971
    Captain
    • Jan 2015

I'm currently gently rocking in a corner trying to process all this.

Grtz,
    Bart

Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
    "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• bwi 971
      Captain
      • Jan 2015

I’m sorry that I vanished for a while……..”she who must be obeyed” wanted to renovate the bathroom completely. So “he who’s has no choice” neglected his hobby for over a month. But I’m fine with it honestly (**** mumblemumble).

All necessary pieces are cut now…..allocation and dimensions are marked on masking tape. One day this pile of blocks will turn into a sub.
      Why I cut them all?….well to get the max out of the modeling board with the min amount of waste.
      I made a scheme with the dimensions needed and calculated how they will best fit in the modeling boards I had. Click image for larger version  Name:	2018-05-06 11_37_54-Berekening renshape.xlsx - Excel.jpg Views:	1 Size:	274.5 KB ID:	126222
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Labelite-cut.jpg Views:	1 Size:	382.5 KB ID:	126224
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Labelite-labeled.jpg Views:	1 Size:	409.0 KB ID:	126223

Stern moulds.
      As you will know I like doing things complicated and like designing stuff. Here again I calculated what is the most economic thing to do (as this is not my occupation I don’t give a darn what amount of time I spent doing it):
      • Make the moulds just by pouring a vast amount of silicone into a box or
      • Make the moulds by shaping some modeling board and use a thin jacked of silicone to take the shape of the stern master.
      Both materials are expensive but the most economical was the lather….ok ok I admit I had give it a shot anyway because I liked the challenge of it and it looked like the most fun to do.
      Did it turn out ok? well it was a hell of work, it was challenging, precision was the key. I had to make dowel pins and pockets so the multiple pieces that forms the Articulated mould will fit perfectly together. The master is plain so I needed a caliber to make things hollow. The master is not provided with an index to take the hull parts I had to take that in the design too. But I think It turned out ok. Will it work? I don’t know, I will see in a later stage if it works , if it does not…..we had fun anyway.

Dowel pins and pockets (clearance between them is 0.02 mm) I think I made close to 50 pc of them know....and counting Click image for larger version  Name:	Dowel-pin- fabrication-001.jpg Views:	1 Size:	627.9 KB ID:	126225

Caliber mould, with integrated dummy index lips Click image for larger version  Name:	mould-caliber-001.jpg Views:	1 Size:	491.4 KB ID:	126226

Caliber mould end plate, after casting it will become one with the caliber and fitted on the mould masters to make the cast of the part hollow. Click image for larger version  Name:	mould-caliber-base.jpg Views:	1 Size:	428.6 KB ID:	126227

The articulated caliber mould in different stages of assembly Click image for larger version  Name:	muld-caliber-004.jpg Views:	1 Size:	251.2 KB ID:	126228
      Click image for larger version  Name:	mould-caliber-003.jpg Views:	1 Size:	440.8 KB ID:	126229
      Click image for larger version  Name:	mould-caliber-004.jpg Views:	1 Size:	389.2 KB ID:	126230

Mould master base plate, the silicone sleeve inside need to be casted in both mould master halves, so I needed a base plate to do it. Click image for larger version  Name:	Mould-base-plate.jpg Views:	1 Size:	423.3 KB ID:	126231

Base plate fitted to one of the master halves Click image for larger version  Name:	mould-part-halve-001.jpg Views:	1 Size:	383.6 KB ID:	126232
      Click image for larger version  Name:	mould-part-halve-002.jpg Views:	1 Size:	451.1 KB ID:	126233

the articulated master mould assembly Click image for larger version  Name:	mould-masters-003.jpg Views:	1 Size:	477.4 KB ID:	126234
      Click image for larger version  Name:	mould-masters-004.jpg Views:	1 Size:	498.3 KB ID:	126235

All parts of the moulds Click image for larger version  Name:	Articulated moulds.jpg Views:	1 Size:	423.5 KB ID:	126236

Thats it for now,

Grtz,
      Bart
      Last edited by bwi 971; 05-06-2018, 03:20 PM.
      "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Peter W
        Captain
        • May 2011

Holy crap Bart they are some pretty moulds !!

Peter
        Last edited by Peter W; 05-07-2018, 01:21 AM. Reason: I am an idiot

Comment

• HardRock
          Vice Admiral
          • Mar 2013

Amazing stuff Bart. Maniac is jsut not a good enough word for you! I can't wait to see more of this.

Comment

• bwi 971
            Captain
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Peter W
            Holy crap Bart they are some pretty moulds !!

Peter
            Thks Peter, they are over the top, but this stuff I realy like doing.

Originally posted by HardRock
            Amazing stuff Bart. Maniac is jsut not a good enough word for you! I can't wait to see more of this.
            Thks Scott.....bow section is up next....ETD Thursday next

Grtz,
            Bart
            "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

I'm totally impressed!

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

very neat. have they been milled out with a CNC router/mill?

Comment

• bwi 971
                  Captain
                  • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Subculture
                  very neat. have they been milled out with a CNC router/mill?
                  Andrew don't mentions those words here........you will wake up the killer rabbit.......nonono …… I used a hammer and chisel....honestly Mr rabbit I did.....never heard of those things andrew mentioned.

"Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by bwi 971

Andrew don't mentions those words here........you will wake up the killer rabbit.......nonono …… I used a hammer and chisel....honestly Mr rabbit I did.....never heard of those things andrew mentioned.

But, of course. I believe you. Sure I do. No problem. I'm good with this. Sure.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bwi 971
                      Captain
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

But, of course. I believe you. Sure I do. No problem. I'm good with this. Sure.

David
                      ............and after those words the rabbit decapitated the guy
                      "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

It'll be 3d printing next thing. Dave will have an embolism!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                          It'll be 3d printing next thing. Dave will have an embolism!
                          Too late, Andy: I already spewed my venom on that subject at another forum. Needless to say, I became persona non grata over there in minutes.

David
                          The Horrible
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Mar 2013

Heheheheheheeeeeee..... its so nice to be soooooooo far away; so far away, so far awayeeeee.......

Comment

• bwi 971
                              Captain
                              • Jan 2015

The business end......I nailed the shape me think.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bow Upper (1).jpg
Views:	228
Size:	442.1 KB
ID:	126342

Name:	Bow Upper (3).jpg
Views:	204
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	126343

Name:	Bow Upper (4).jpg
Views:	228
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	126344

Name:	Bow Upper (2).jpg
Views:	213
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	126346

Comparison with my AKAULA master....that VICTOR is so much more organic in shape I just love it.

Name:	Bow Upper (5).jpg
Views:	224
Size:	432.1 KB
ID:	126345

Grtz,
                              Bart
                              "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• HardRock
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Mar 2013

Beautiful is not a good enough word! Yes, you did nail it.

Comment

Working...