Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subculture
    replied
    'the dimensional accuracy is non-existing'

That's surprising, how far out are we talking about here? Tinkered a bit with an FDM unit, and the accuracy is excellent, and it's a very cheap model. I'd have expected the accuracy of DLP to be greater, only one axis to move, and a light bounced off of the chip to render the layer. Are the optics the limitation in these cheaper units.

Leave a comment:

• bwi 971
    replied
    Originally posted by Subculture
    I wonder how cheap those DLP based printers will get? Some can be had for under £200 now, although the resin is pricey. They do render superb detail.
    My experience is that it is a lottery Andy...you have to be very lucky to get a good one, else it’s a nightmare.......resin is expensive as you mentioned, and toxic as hell......all other consumables are expensive too and or have a very short lifetime..... the dimensional accuracy is non-existing......the cleaning process is very messy and afterwards your left with an amount of toxic wash residues.......and then you need a UV curing device. While printing you need to have a good ventilation/extraction.
    When I work with it I wear so much PPE that you will think that I work at a toxic waste dump or something.

Bud .....when everting lines up and works out….those things give you amazing details.

It's all about what you get for the money you spent, don't expect dimensional accuracy and long lifetime with these low budget printers. If you want all that you have to spent 4k.
    I didn’t so I’m not complaining, I knew what I was getting into, just want to share my experience regarding what you will get for your money and what to look out for.

Grtz,
    Bart
    Last edited by bwi 971; 12-09-2018, 05:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Subculture
    replied

I wonder how cheap those DLP based printers will get? Some can be had for under £200 now, although the resin is pricey. They do render superb detail.

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by trout
    Oh my goodness I started laughing in a waiting room. I probably looked like a crazy person. I showed Tina your message and she laughed.
    LOL. Sorry, Tina, that your were subjected to this nasty, thoughtless, antagonistic, trolling perpetrated by your kit-assembling, robot-loving husband.

David

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Oh my goodness I started laughing in a waiting room. I probably looked like a crazy person. I showed Tina your message and she laughed.

Leave a comment:

replied
    F you, Tom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David

Leave a comment:

• bwi 971
    replied
    Originally posted by HardRock
    Outstanding! How did you make the louvers? AND, did you cut the holes ans slots or cast them - I can't tell.
    Everything was done by the machine this time Scott....I only assembled the parts, made them fit.

The sail will be cast with the holes......louvers will be after fitted.....hatches and doors you must do yourself.

My idea behind it is that you can chose if you want certain pieces in open or in closed position......radar, periscopes,.....

Grtz,
    Bart

Leave a comment:

• bwi 971
    replied
    Originally posted by trout
    3D printing,Skill!
    Oh boy....that will have the dragon unleashed for sure

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    3D printing,Skill!

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Outstanding! How did you make the louvers? AND, did you cut the holes ans slots or cast them - I can't tell.

Leave a comment:

• bwi 971
    replied
    Concentrating on the sail now. Test-fitting the SOKS and making the louvres fit.

Grtz,
    Bart

Click image for larger version

Name:	P10503756.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	128665

Name:	P10503774.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	128666

Name:	P10503783.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	128667

Name:	P10503747.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	128664

Leave a comment:

• bwi 971
    replied
    When I say high detail, I actually mean HIGH DETAIL.
    One of the SOKS censors (yes I went over the top, yes I’m crazy)
    Pictures were taken with the macro setting of the camera, dimensions are in mm.

All credits to "the machine"

Grtz,
    Bart

Name:	SOKS1.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	128348
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P10503222.jpg Views:	1 Size:	284.6 KB ID:	128343
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P10503213.jpg Views:	1 Size:	289.6 KB ID:	128344
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P10503204.jpg Views:	1 Size:	285.1 KB ID:	128345
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P10503195.jpg Views:	1 Size:	353.9 KB ID:	128346
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P10503186.jpg Views:	1 Size:	356.8 KB ID:	128347

Last edited by bwi 971; 11-05-2018, 03:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Ha!

My work here is done.

David

Leave a comment:

• bwi 971
    replied
    Originally posted by HardRock
    Easy for him: difficult for us. Look out Bart. I sense a challenge coming on.
    I know.....I hate him......he is always doing it......Think I will do it in the end......I’m chewing on something.

grtz,
    Bart

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Easy for him: difficult for us. Look out Bart. I sense a challenge coming on.

Leave a comment:

Working...