New 1/72 Golf II kit

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 598602G
    replied
    I like skimmers. We use to screw with those douche weeds on the sub tenders all the time. I use to stand top side PO watches all the time with my trusty 45 strapped to my hip. One time these skimmers from a sub tender were driving around in circles real close to the Lincoln. Kept yelling at them to stay away more then 100 feet but they kept jacking with me. Had to pull my 45 on them and told them to leave. They proceeded to go park their 50' utility boat and go grab there LTJG OOD and and started heading for my boat. They got topside to my boat and told them to stand fast. Called my LT OOD who proceeded to tell there LTJG to pound sand because I was in my right to pull my weapon. Ha ha. This senior seaman had some pull on that boat.

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by 598602G
    You mean to tell me you were a skimmer/target?
    Out of Torpedoman A-school I went to the Keyport torpedo station where I was put one of the firing craft that proofed torpedoes for the American and Canadian navies. Did a tour on the sub-tender GILMORE out of Charleston. Shortly after we got to our new home-port at Key-west I cross-decked to the TRUTTA (they asked for 'volunteers' at morning quarters, and I crossed the brow before noon).

No sub-school or any of that happy horse-****, just reported aboard the boat, only two piers down from the GILMORE. The POOW introduced my sea-daddy who slammed the qual-cards in my hands and said, 'welcome aboard, dink. Get qualified! And stop breathing my air, you ****ing hatch-plug". Chief Thompson. One of the finest men I'll ever know. Man! .... did he teach me some neat stuff.
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-15-2017, 09:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 598602G
    replied
    No skimmer here. Pure 100% bubble head. I got my fins tacked on.

Leave a comment:

• 598602G
    replied
    You mean to tell me you were a skimmer/target?

Leave a comment:

replied
    Where did you get a pic of me back in the day. I resemble the galley slave as I had to mess crank on the Lincoln so nanny nanny poo poo.
    I mess-cranked on the AKL-17 (formerly, USS NEW BEDFORD) The ship they filmed the Mr. Roberts movie on).

David

Leave a comment:

• 598602G
    replied
    Where did you get a pic of me back in the day. I resemble the galley slave as I had to mess crank on the Lincoln so nanny nanny poo poo.

Leave a comment:

replied
    You can hijack I don't mind. If it saves you from opening another thread then you can post in here. Those are nice screws Dave. I sold a Moebius Skipjack with the sub driver rc kit a couple years ago. Wish I would not have sold it. Now if I can just finish up the Golf molds and the epoxy doesn't swell up my eyes I will be OK. Pic of half the Golf hull mold done. They way things are looking for me and the epoxy health issues I might have to sell the Golf molds
    NNOOOooooo! Get a positive pressure head-dress and keep at it, galley-slave!

Like this:

David
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-15-2017, 07:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 598602G
    replied
    You can hijack I don't mind. If it saves you from opening another thread then you can post in here. Those are nice screws Dave. I sold a Moebius Skipjack with the sub driver rc kit a couple years ago. Wish I would not have sold it. Now if I can just finish up the Golf molds and the epoxy doesn't swell up my eyes I will be OK. Pic of half the Golf hull mold done. They way things are looking for me and the epoxy health issues I might have to sell the Golf molds

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by trout
    I am sorry, I probably should put this on a different thread and not hi-jack this one.
    Harrumph! .... the gall!

David

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    I am sorry, I probably should put this on a different thread and not hi-jack this one.

O.K. new topic created here: https://forum.sub-driver.com/forum/g...h-scale-walrus
    Last edited by trout; 02-15-2017, 06:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    I will be making the prop for the Walrus.
    I am running into a problem of figuring out the prop. It is a 5 blade prop. From plans it is for a 1/60th scale model making the prop 60mm or 2.3622”

Click image for larger version

Name:	Walrus Prop Plan.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	119916
    Now I need to make the blades. But because the blades on the plan are curved, how do you figure the proper pre-shaped contour?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Walrus Prop Live.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	497.6 KB
ID:	119917Click image for larger version

Name:	Walrus Prop Combined Drawing.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	119918

I tried seeing if there were other sources and I found a paper model, but it’s blades looked thin (black line) then I used the real prop (in red) and overlaid it, but the angle of the photo is off skewed. I have tried to combine and average, but I am not so confident of my abilities.

Any suggestions?

Leave a comment:

replied
    The seven-blader is for 1/72nd THRESHER. The five-blader is for the Moebius 1/72 SKIPJACK.

David

Leave a comment:

• 598602G
    replied
    George here is the WWII Japanese Heavy Cruiser that Don wants me to make the hull mold for. Kind of a small 1/100 scale and 76" long. You think I should make it in 1/72?

Leave a comment:

• 598602G
    replied
    Dave you make some really nice stuff. I am too blind anymore to much stuff like that. Won a bid today on ebay for a Moebius Skipjack. Don't know what I will do with it accept add it to the collection. George it is 1/72 sorry.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by trout
    David,
    The bottom of this image of the blade setup is cut off. Is the R1 to the left and continuing to R5 or visa-versa?
    Thank you for this!
    Peace,
    Tom
    R1 (radius point #1) is close to the hub with R numbers advancing toward the tip (to the left on the chart). This is how I graphically determine angle changes across the span of a constant-pitch type propeller. The blade chart, and the observed projected blade profile guide me as I carve out the blade blank. From the blank goes the process to achieve a correct helical curve to the blade.

More pretty pictures outlining propeller design and manufacture: http://s262.photobucket.com/user/dme...?sort=3&page=1

David

Leave a comment:

Working...