Tom Chalfant - Bronco Type XXIII

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Take the receiver board(s) out of the plastic case, wrap them in heat-shrink and it will fit between the servos, Tom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7973.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	85241Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7974.jpg
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	85242Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7975.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	85243Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7976.jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	85244

M

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Got the right temperament to tackle tightening the rudder's grub screw.
    I needed to make a tool to reach. I took a length of brass rod and drilled a hole at the end slightly larger than the hex wrench (.050). Soldered a small cut off of the wrench into the end.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_137.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	85234Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco Type 23_138.jpg
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	85235
    Took the hull outside and was able to finally get the rudder tight.
    There are numerous ways to put your WTC together. So, here is mine. I placed the Mtroniks under the motor.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_139.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	85236
    Placed some velcro on the tray and some under the RX.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_140.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	85237
    Placing the RX sideways will not work. It is too wide especially when the servos get plugged in. I could mount it under the shelf where it is a wider part of the tube, but still too tight. Could not mount it vertically, the RX was too tall. I could cut a slot out of the tray, but it would interfere with the vent servo.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_141.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	85238Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco Type 23_142.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	85239
    Fortunately, it looks like placing it this way it will just go over the servo.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_143.jpg
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	85240
    The downside is my speed controller's connector is short going forward.
    Last edited by trout; 12-22-2013, 03:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Thank you George! Albion is really an accomplished builder.
    It makes sense to me to mark the parts. Especially when they are so close looking. Would one torpedo door work in the other side? Don't know, but I do not want to be in the position of tearing it apart (done that too many times before).

Name:	Bronco Type 23_132.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	85112
    Had I looked at the instructions earlier (like, oh I don't know - before putting the hulls together) I would have installed the torpedo doors first. Since I did not, we are at this point.
    The port side was really easy because I could reach in from the starboard torpedo door opening to glue and make adjustments. I also left a slight proud fit for character. The door shows up slightly better.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_133.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	85113
    On the starboard side I cannot reach in from the port opening since it is now closed. What I did was use a little tape to pull the door out and held it there while the glue set up.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_134.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	85114
    The propellor gets a gold coat. The two pictures are the same coat just the one on the left is freshly painted and the right is mostly dried.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_135.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	85115Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco Type 23_136.jpg
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	85116
    Sometimes watching paint dry is exciting. I will let the prop set for at least a day if not two and then add the bronze and gray flecks to weather up the prop.
    Last edited by trout; 12-18-2013, 03:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Albion
    replied
    Originally posted by george
    Hello trout

Thank you for posting your build. Very helpful! I read in an earlier posting that you mention another builder: Albion, Koryu Type D build. I can`t find that. Could you post a link to it?

Thanks again for your posts, look forward to reading more and pictures.

George

Try these. Needs remembering that the Koryu is a big dry hull boat with a lot of mass, hence i needed a pretty substantial weight to move around. A smaller wet hull boat wont need as much technology. It also uses a single Piston tank which also affects the trim when the tank is neither completely full or empty.

Leave a comment:

• george
    replied
    Hello trout

Thank you for posting your build. Very helpful! I read in an earlier posting that you mention another builder: Albion, Koryu Type D build. I can`t find that. Could you post a link to it?

Thanks again for your posts, look forward to reading more and pictures.

George

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Attached the plane guards.
    Aft

Name:	Bronco Type 23_129.jpg
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	85087
    then the bow

Name:	Bronco Type 23_130.jpg
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	85088
    The prop was filed, sanded, and lightly polished. Then etched in ferric chloride. Now a primer coat....Time for all to dry.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_131.jpg
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	85089

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Thank you Gary!

Just a quick update, played with the servo arms and will need to trim only the longest one extending outward (just the last hole).

Name:	Bronco Type 23_128.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	85070
    A little RTV silicon placed on the side of the servo and pressed against the plate is enough to hold these servos in. The brackets supplied (that I needed to trim to fit) will prevent forward and backward motion and what little outward motion, the silicon will be more than enough to hold (at least that has been my experience).
    Now to figure out were to put things? I am reusing some parts I have until I can purchase new because I want to get this in the water soon.

Leave a comment:

• crazygary
    replied
    Wow, Tom!! Very interesting things here!

Kinda like trying to pack 10 pounds of groceries into a 3 pound bag!! Hah!!

"Inspirational Creativity"!! "Murphys Law" not withstanding!!

Excellent thread going!!! Liking it alot!!

Leave a comment:

• crazygary
    replied
    Thank you, M!!

"Knowledge is good"!! ( Faber University, "Animal House"!)

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Well, I should have put some kind of weight in. It still floats, but not as high.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_115.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	85043
    My servos were a little too big.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_116.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	85044
    Marked an approximate amount that needed to be removed.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_117.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	85045
    Using a Foredom and a diamond cylinder bit. Like a mill, I worked the areas to be removed.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_118.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	85046
    As I fit the servos in, it became clear the tabs would interfere . A quick clip with flush cut pliers

Name:	Bronco Type 23_119.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	85047Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco Type 23_120.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	85048
    All four are in, yes four. One for rudder, bow planes, aft planes, and the final one is for the mechanism for moving the battery (maybe, if it will work).

Name:	Bronco Type 23_121.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	85049
    The problem with this setup is the servos are high up and the arm will hit the cylinder if it is swinging outwardly.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_122.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	85050
    Opened up the bottom of the servo by removing the aluminum tray. I learned from the Gato build that by cutting on each end of the tray and scoring the back portion, you can snap off the tray or bend it if it does not snap off and it will break along the scribe line.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_123.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	85051Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco Type 23_124.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	85052
    Because of the pump beneath the forward most servos are the only ones that could be lowered and of those two only one even further lower. It was necessary to get the clearance I needed.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_125.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	85053
    That was enough to get the swing I needed.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_126.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	85054Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco Type 23_127.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	85055

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    It's to break the vacuum within the cylinder created when the LPB took a suction on the dry spaces of the cylinder to blow ballast water while the sail was submerged.

M

Leave a comment:

• crazygary
    replied
    Really like the float valve inside the sail!!
    I'm guessing that its job is to release ballast tank internal pressure??
    Very cool!
    Am very much enjoying your thread, Tom!! Great stuff, here!

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Excavated the conning tower cylinder to lighten it yet still give the feel of being complete when installed. I am still dancing with the decision on using it or not. If I need to move the float forward the cylinder would be in the way or need to be chopped up more, but I like the feel that there is more than an empty shell.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_110.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	85038
    The flat piece is opened up and I am ok with how it looks.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_111.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	85039
    If you ever go to the urgent care or hospital and they put an I.V. in you, ask for the saline syringe when they are done with it. I got several from a visit earlier in the year. I trimmed the threaded end off just leaving the nipple.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_112.jpg
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	85040
    Drilled two holes in each plane guard. One a small hole for venting air and another large enough to put the syringe nipple in.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_113.jpg
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	85041
    Mixed up a batch of Evercoat Metal Glaze and scooped it into the syringe. With the syringe inserted into the larger hole, I positioned it so the vent hole was up and the tip of the guard was tilted down. Once the glaze was oozing out of the vent I placed the plane guard in an upright position to solidify. I thought I would put weight in, but I did not have any fine shot to go in. Had I filled this before I glued the hulls together, I would have drilled and tapped a 2-56 thread in there and screwed the guard to the hull. That would help prevent the piece from getting knocked off.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_114.jpg
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	85042

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Played a little with the innards and I felt comfortable sealing up the back of the conning tower.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_099.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	85015
    I also checked out some of the other assemblies. There a some that I definitely will not use like the torpedo tube assembly. There are some that I probably will not use like the tubes and large cylinder (that is the conning tower proper). There are things like the plane guards and top of the conning tower that are of course going to be used.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_100.jpg
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	85016
    The snorkel and radar antenna are attached to this plate which then gets covered by the top piece.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_101.jpg
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	85017Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco Type 23_102.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	85018
    So, I will remove sections to allow air out and trim a small amount of weight.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_103.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	85019
    The large cylinder fits to the conning tower top piece and is below the hatch opening. It will not be a necessary piece for the sub to run and just adds weight, it can go.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_104.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	85020Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco Type 23_105.jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	85021
    That being said, it does add a nice dimension of reality and is better than seeing air inside. If I kept it, the sides that do not face towards the holes will be removed to reduce weight and provide air flow.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_106.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	85022
    There are two sets of guards for the dive planes. One set is solid plastic and the other needs to be assembled with two halves.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_107.jpg
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	85023
    My issue with the ones that needed to be assembled is they are so light and one big trapped bubble. I was surprised just how buoyant they are once placed in water. That is not good low on the sub (granted not huge in the grand scheme of things) and look at how the solid ones handle in the bowl. They sink.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_108.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	85024Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco Type 23_109.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	85025
    I am going to fill the hollow ones, maybe throw some weight in there too especially since these are low in the sub. Then seal them with resin or epoxy.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Using David's build photos as a reference on where to put the snorkel valve assembly, I estimated an appropriate location.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_095.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	84911
    The sail was put on to make sure there was plenty of clearance and there is. Now I am doing this the way David did, but if this sub will set with the rear low, I may nee to relocate this further towards the bow.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_096.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	84912
    Using the seam where the two halves are glued together as my reference point or datum, 1/4" aft I drilled a 1/8" hole. The aft most line for the opening that the float will use is 5 3/8" from the datum.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_097.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	84913
    There may need to be some tweaking necessary for the float to rise and lower properly.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_098.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	84914
    Last edited by trout; 12-09-2013, 01:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...