Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Dsrv-1

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201113_175129.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	177532
    *NOTE: Thingiverse seems to have problem with downloading models, you'll get "404 error" if you press "download all files". The workaround is to go to the files tab and download the STL's from there, until Thingiverse has fixed the issue.* A deep-submergence rescue vehicle DSRV-1 Mystic in scale 1/30 intended for radio control. Designed with ease of printing in mind, along with a high attention to details. Over 1000 individual rivets and bolts! No support needed except for the propeller, the parts are oriented correctly in the stl files for optimal print direction. Specs: Roughly 60 hours of print time and 450g filament. Total length of the hull is 495mm Prop shaft: 1/8" (3mm) Fits 2-2.5" WTC Stand included. Instruction: 1.Print all the parts -Print 8x of the "Rescue hatch support" and 2x "Stand" -Use support for the propeller -You might need to trim off excessive plastic along the corners of the section 2 & 3 parts, so that the lower and upper hull halves close properly. This is important for the lock to work properly. -Depending on the tolerance of you printer, the prop shroud might need some help to get moving freely. I used a 3mm drill bit inserted where the prop shaft otherwise should be, and carefully moved the shroud forth and back to grind off irregularities on the ball-link. -The "Rescue hatch support" might have to be trimmed in length, as it's intentionally slightly too long to compensate for tolerances during printing and assembly. 2.Connect servo linkage to prop shroud To facilitate installation, connect linkages to the prop shroud before gluing the shroud section to the stern section. 3.Glue the parts together -Cut 1,75mm filament in ~8mm long bits and insert in the holes as guide pins for aligning the hull sections. 4.The open the lock holding the upper hull in place, gently insert a piece of 1.75mm filament, or any other >2mm object, through the hole at the center of the hull. Don't push too hard as this might break the lock!
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • Albacore 569
    Commander
    • Sep 2020

I have very extensive detailed phots (62 photos) of Mystic and some of Avalon too (used for spare parts in hangar shed). at the Deep Submergence Unit based in San Deigo where the DSRV is on alert or training.

This website makes it hard for posting extensive pictures here. So, I won't attempt to post too many photos, but if anyone needs them I can send and share the photo files. I have permission to share. A few samples here. Photos taken in October 2006.

Photos taken and shared courtesy of Marc D' Antonio.

Steve

Click image for larger version  Name:	2LjmH1R.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.5 KB ID:	177541

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMumhCt.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.8 KB ID:	177542

Click image for larger version  Name:	A4rYe1q.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.5 KB ID:	177543

Click image for larger version  Name:	fgK47xP.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.3 KB ID:	177544

Click image for larger version  Name:	ldCMi6o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.6 KB ID:	177545

Click image for larger version  Name:	02ChzMN.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.4 KB ID:	177546

Click image for larger version  Name:	cg6sI4F.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.5 KB ID:	177547

Click image for larger version  Name:	RHJ20Ks.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.4 KB ID:	177548
    Last edited by Albacore 569; 01-12-2024, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• CC Clarke
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Aug 2020

One of the cool aspects of being part of DEVGRUONE were the many opportunities available within the squadron - if you were hot to re-enlist. My chief was a DSRV pilot during the filming of "Grey Lady Down", (a crew favorite flick to burn while underway). His hairy arm manipulating controls was the only visible part of him that made the final cut. (But we all cheered when we saw it anyway.) He even took the sonar division aboard Mystic at their North Island Facility. One hull was always on alert and ready to fly immediately. The other was either used in crew training or being re-built.

I have that trove of pics and used them as ref to model one after downloading Evolve's excellent model, (one of two hulls he's designed) which have been on Thingverse for years. His version is optimized for FDM printing. Here are a few rendered comparo results I built for resin printing :

Name:	screw_11.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	177551 Click image for larger version

Name:	Shock Mitigation System Components 01.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	177552

Name:	lower_12.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	177553 Click image for larger version

Name:	lower_13.jpg
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	177554 Click image for larger version

Name:	Intersphere WT Door.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	177555 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSRV Shroud 01.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	177556
      Attached Files

Comment

• george
        Captain
        • Dec 2010

Hello C.C Clarke
        I would like to ask you IF you would share your files for the upgraded parts for the DSRV-1 submarine that Evolve posted on Thingiverse? I printed out the sub and I would like to add your detail parts. Please PM with your reply.
        Thanks for your time.
        George

Comment

• CC Clarke
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Aug 2020

In the interests of transparency on my part, there is no need for a PM which tends to make other like-minded people wonder what transpired and follow suit. (If I'm not mistaken, I think we might have had this conversation regarding the DSRV before on another site a few years ago.)

I truly appreciate your interest in my work George, but for the same reason NDD doesn't give away their STLs, mine are IP and used for other projects. The amount of time and effort spent performing meticulous research to insure the highest LOD before I can even begin to wrangle polygons precludes me making them available in any form, -at any price. We're not talking days or weeks, but months of research in most cases, with multiple revisions as new details are found - extending development time. There are many inaccurate drawngs available to choose from, but if I can't find a photo of a particular detail, it doesn't make it into the final design.

I hope you understand.

CC

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by CC Clarke
            In the interests of transparency on my part, there is no need for a PM which tends to make other like-minded people wonder what transpired and follow suit. (If I'm not mistaken, I think we might have had this conversation regarding the DSRV before on another site a few years ago.)

I truly appreciate your interest in my work George, but for the same reason NDD doesn't give away their STLs, mine are IP and used for other projects. The amount of time and effort spent performing meticulous research to insure the highest LOD before I can even begin to wrangle polygons precludes me making them available in any form, -at any price. We're not talking days or weeks, but months of research in most cases, with multiple revisions as new details are found - extending development time. There are many inaccurate drawngs available to choose from, but if I can't find a photo of a particular detail, it doesn't make it into the final design.

I hope you understand.

CC
            There. Ain't. No. Free. Lunches!!

I fully appreciate and support CC Clarke's position on this matter.

You wana dance?...

... pay the Fiddler!

Don't want to pay for product or services? Then, do it yourself! Don't know how? Learn!

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
              Captain
              • Dec 2010

Hi CC

I fully understand your position. Would you be willing to sell the prop file only? OR to keep your file work yours, would you create one prop and I? will pay you to do it and mail it to me?

Comment

• Albacore 569
                Commander
                • Sep 2020

" We're not talking days or weeks, but months of research in most cases, with multiple revisions as new details are found - extending development time. There are many inaccurate drawngs available to choose from, but if I can't find a photo of a particular detail, it doesn't make it into the final design.

I hope you understand."

You can certainly say there are many inaccurate drawings and inaccurate models they are based on.

Top is the impressive model work of this thread.

Below is a photo of the DSRV effects model from the 'Hunt fo Red October' feature film in a auction photo. Hollywood is notorious for inaccurate models. You are building in a hurry to deadlines. Ultimately though it's how well it conveys the story and action, and in that respect it still works. But under the hard bright light of reality, - see what I mean? Mr. Merriman I'm sure can tell you many war stories related to that,

Name:	UDSr2Y7.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	177916

Name:	SX0Be3z.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	177917

Comment

• Aug 2008

I can assure that the miniatures propeller was spot on.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albacore 569
                    Commander
                    • Sep 2020

Such beautiful propellors. yes, spot on.

Comment

• redboat219
                      Admiral
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Albacore 569

Below is a photo of the DSRV effects model from the 'Hunt fo Red October' feature film in a auction photo. Hollywood is notorious for inaccurate models. You are building in a hurry to deadlines. Ultimately though it's how well it conveys the story and action, and in that respect it still works. But under the hard bright light of reality, - see what I mean? Mr. Merriman I'm sure can tell you many war stories related to that,

Name:	UDSr2Y7.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	177916

Name:	SX0Be3z.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	177917

Name:	Screenshot_20240129_003342_Chrome.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	177931

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

No ****!!

That's the first (and only time I know of) acknowledgement we've ever got in the public domain about our work on that flick. Thank, Romel. I never knew. Wish Ellie could have been in on this find of yours. Well done! As Ellie and I refused to join a Guild or Union, we were denied end-credit (though Greg tried to get us listed). **** 'em! We supplied most of the documentation and propeller master to Greg's guys, so it's on them on what they did with it.

David
                        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 01-28-2024, 02:17 PM.
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Has anyone got one of these DSRV's working yet?

I don't recall seeing one to date. I guess the thrusters put modellers off.

Comment

• CC Clarke
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Aug 2020

Originally posted by george
                            Hi CC

I fully understand your position. Would you be willing to sell the prop file only? OR to keep your file work yours, would you create one prop and I? will pay you to do it and mail it to me?
                            Hi George,

With respect to your first question, I think you know the answer.

As for the second, it is too cost-prohibitive to make ones-ies and two-sies of parts - especially screws which require expensive engineering resin (up to $90 a bottle) to do it right, --in lieu of metal versions which present challenges of their own in regards to the time and cost to manufacture by hand, Add the time to set the 3D files for idiot-proof slicing, (I've printed four sails with multiple revisions @ 18 hours a shot alone this week, just to optimize them for printing without noticeable banding and minimal polishing --except the flat upper and lower flat ends which need to be planed before adding a customized sail cap) machine time, and . . . you get the idea.

If you can't find someone to make one for you, there are a number of sites that offer 3D printed, 3-bladed aircraft propellers that might work with some sanding to get the desired shape. Shapeways is one example. (I buy 1/72 naval figures from them to save time.) TurboSquid is another recommended site and often offers scaling.

Time is the one commodity none of us will ever have a surplus of. Labor is the most time-consuming facet of any submarine build and I am swamped with work. I'm truly sorry.

I'm not a hobbyist and now that I'm finally retired, design submarines full-time while (resin) printing nearly 24/7 to remove any bugs discovered during the R&D phase. Anything printed that meets my strict requirements, (one of my skill sets involves years of high-reliability, aerospace-level QA, so being a stickler for detail comes naturally) is the result of many, many failures on my part. Prototyping can be a log process and the interior of the hulls which nobody sees are a big part of achieveing dimensional accuracy without warping. I shoot for hull sections with < .1mm tolerances to minimize bonding and sanding their respective joints. Yeah, I'm anal-retentive - which is better than anal-receptive. Perfection is the goal, but reality that meets the requirments is the tradeoff. (Just like the ribs I smoke and cook all day on my BBQ. My first forays would gag a maggot.)

More transparency: While any hull I design can be adapted for RC use, that has never been my intended market for multiple reasons - chiefly: There is no need for more RC-related vendors - those that have survived have it rough enough as it is. My target market consists of demanding, well-heeled, private collectors within the submarine community. No fish - no boat. These folks know when a detail is off and will pay for accuracy. (They'll also crucify you in a heartbeat if something is wrong.) Making big money is also not my goal, but my time and experience are worth something.

I only build in 1/72 scale to be able to display that level of detail, (ie: bolt holes around covers, line locker hinges, and rotated cleats with securing bolts.)

Any potential competition are companies who create display hulls out of kiln-dried mahogany, with minimal detail, and sometimes 3D-printed masts and antennas. For $90+ an inch, they'll add a couple of DSRV landing stripes, some circular scribing for hatches and a recessed line for a safety track. (Not all safety tracks are recessed.) The appendages are usually thicker for strength and don't operate. For for a "realistic" base, some offer rows of "railroad ties", --some of which don't contact the hull. (I create keel blocks and try to get the most accurate placement from drydocking plans.)

Before I close my long-winded post, I would be remiss if I did not extend my gratitude to those on this site who take the time to teach the fundamentals, (especially weathering) that never fail to leave me in awe. Most of the sites I learn and take inspiration from are plastic model or 3D printing-related, but there are gems here that really stand out.

It's called work for a reason. After seventeen years of modeling, I'm still learning new tricks. Failures are the yardsticks of growth when they impart lessons learned.

Out of the formal classes I've taught at a basic level, maybe 5% stick with it afterwards, and that's being very generous. In the school, (DAVE School, Universal Orlando) where I first learned professional modeling, the attrition rate was 50% after two-weeks, and half of the rest by the 30-day point - and these were students paying $30 grand for the chance to learn from industry professionals. (My job paid for it so I made sure they got their money's worth). Most of the students were too young to know how lucky they were and those that dropped were put off by how much efffort was required. There is no Staples EASY button to instantly confer proficiency to generate paying cutomers through one's work, but it sure is satisfying when one gets to that level of interest. Those who can relate, know.

CC

Comment

• Albacore 569
                              Commander
                              • Sep 2020

Boy I feel like an ass hxxx.... Excuse me David. I thought you did parts and Greg Jein and his gang in California put it together. Wouldn't joining a Studio Union offer you better pay? I can understand why you wouldn't. You love your independence and artistic freedoms too. So would I.

Would a DSRV model scaled up to like 1/12 scale make a good search nd rescue underwater drone at all? With a mechanical arm / lights / camera?
                              Last edited by Albacore 569; 01-29-2024, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Working...