• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monahan Steam Models
    Captain
    • Apr 2020

Originally posted by trout
    I have those photos.....
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_4367.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.5 KB ID:	144431Click image for larger version  Name:	image_10554.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.6 KB ID:	144432
    It is a work of art. If anyone has this mechanical setup and does not want it, I do!
    Peace,
    Tom
    Tom,

That launcher truly is a work of art as is such with so many other things David has created. I wonder how many of these units he built for the US Fleet Subs.

Nick

P.S. The bow plane mechanism is a work of art too in this scale!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models

Tom,

That launcher truly is a work of art as is such with so many other things David has created. I wonder how many of these units he built for the US Fleet Subs.

Nick

P.S. The bow plane mechanism is a work of art too in this scale!
      Just the one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	020.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	144435

I simply copied the retract mechanism on the TRUTTA (first boat I qualified on back in the day). Why reinvent the wheel?

Name:	DSCN0005_0001.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	144436Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0041 (2).JPG
Views:	387
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	144437Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0044.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	144438Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0048 (2).JPG
Views:	402
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	144439Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0170 (3).JPG
Views:	362
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	144440Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0195.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	144441Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0219 (3).JPG
Views:	330
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	144442Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0211.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	144443

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
        Captain
        • Apr 2020

Awesome work. Such tiny parts in confined spaces while trying to hold tight tolerances and making it all play nice together is no easy feat.

The cuss words one needs in his tool box to accomplish such a tasks are only gained with hard won experience and dedication.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
          Captain
          • Apr 2020

Name:	DEBCA955-66AE-4EC6-A882-7E9383083EBA.jpeg
Views:	377
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	144545

Today was the first day in a week that I finally had some time to get a bit more work done on the launcher. Still have a few parts to make on the lathe for the lower tube but the meat and potatoes of the original design idea is just about there.

Nick

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
            Captain
            • Apr 2020

Name:	D1D815BD-6F74-4946-BE8B-8D6214850C16.jpeg
Views:	298
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	144567Click image for larger version

Name:	91496472-0B51-4596-BE6D-08D00517C7B5.jpeg
Views:	305
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	144566

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

Nice.

Can this be scaled up to 1/35 ( for Bronco Type XXIII) or down to 1/72 for the Type VII/ IX?
              Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                Captain
                • Apr 2020

Thank you RedBoat219

The general concept of the design could be scaled up to 1/35.

Scaling it down to 1/72 would probably not be ideal. For models of that scale I would probably use a spring launcher for electric capacitor type torpedoes or let them just swim out of the tubes. For gas propelled torpedoes in 1/72 scale, David really has the best designs in my opinion.

The torpedoes and launcher that I have been working on is really just a fun project for me to exercise my brain and designing background while sharing the process here. I have zero intentions for manufacturing these units.

Nick

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2020

Click image for larger version  Name:	37821F7A-3B57-4375-8775-B7D48CC23DA8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	64.1 KB ID:	144595Click image for larger version  Name:	008CB2C7-028A-4825-ACC0-F77A759CD373.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	64.7 KB ID:	144594

The starboard side launch tube assembly. Tested and works great. Will get some video as soon as I get the solenoid valves and electronic bits added to the mix. Too hard to video currently with one hand.

Both poppet valve reservoirs are tied together to charge at the same time. All four of the forward reservoirs for the port and starboard tubes could be tied together to fill at once from a single fill point. The system is quiet and stealthy for as complicated as it is and only requires one channel. No bubbles on launch.

It’s easy to reload and torpedoes can be stored and removed from the tubes for maintenance with or without the launch reservoirs stored under charge. Launch won’t occur unless that torpedo’s tube door is fully open. The door mechanism allow the outer doors to be easily pushed open to reload the torpedoes without needing to do anything else. The piston inside the tube locks onto the tail fin of the torpedo to keep it properly orientated in the tube while keeping it in place from slipping out of the tube.

Nick

Last edited by Monahan Steam Models; 10-22-2020, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

Hmmm, I see potential as Vertical Launch System for modern nuke boats.
                    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2020

Originally posted by redboat219
                      Hmmm, I see potential as Vertical Launch System for modern nuke boats.
                      I could see that. Good point.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                        Captain
                        • Feb 2019

Click image for larger version  Name:	popcorn.gif Views:	0 Size:	2.9 KB ID:	144604

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2020

Name:	26FA7EFA-9BD0-4231-9B35-C8AABEFE5CB9.jpeg
Views:	306
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	144616 The obligatory Progress update of the day

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                            Captain
                            • Apr 2020

Couple quick videos demonstrating the starboard side lower tube in operation. First video is just showing the mechanism functioning with an air supply and solenoid valve hooked up. Second video is launching a torpedo across the floor.

Nick

Comment

• george
                              Captain
                              • Dec 2010

Hi Nick
                              Thanks for posting those videos. A few questions:
                              Your waiting for the Lee Company Solenoid, can you give us it`s part number, specs?
                              How is the Torpedo door held on to the submarine wall and able to open/close and still be attached to the hull?

Thanks again
                              George

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                                Captain
                                • Apr 2020

George,

This demonstration was using one of the Lee company solenoids. I was triggering it with a 3.7v LiPo. The part number is LHDA0521211H.

The forward part of the torpedo shutter is hinged to the hull. This is how the Arkmodels type VIIC kit comes. It is similar to how the full-size type VII’s shutters were hinged. The shutters are opened by the torpedo tube’s muzzle door just like the real type VII’s. The muzzle doors and shutters are linked together. The main difference between the full-size subs mechanism and this model version is the pin and slot for the muzzle door to shutter door is opposite from full-size due to the Arkmodels kit already having a tab molded onto the inside of the shutter door towards the rear of the door. I decided to work with this feature than against it. The goal was to develop a launch mechanism for the kit that dropped into place without needing to cut or modify the kit. The only modification that was needed was drilling a small 1/16” hole in the right spot for the upper tube muzzle door linkage to pass through the bulkhead.

Hope this helps,

Nick

PS I should mention that the Arkmodels kit is very good quality. A handful of careful small corrections needed to be made to the the shutter doors to get them to swing open and closed accurately enough to work with the precise movement of the launchers muzzle doors. This was to reduce friction and make everything operate smoothly.
                                Last edited by Monahan Steam Models; 10-23-2020, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Working...