X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george
    Captain
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

I'll try posting those pictures again...

Click image for larger version  Name:	063 (2).JPG Views:	55 Size:	52.1 KB ID:	145549Click image for larger version  Name:	073.JPG Views:	43 Size:	46.0 KB ID:	145550

And some more electro-pneumatic launcher development work I unearthed from the deep recesses of my hard-drive:

Click image for larger version  Name:	006 (2).JPG Views:	43 Size:	82.2 KB ID:	145551Click image for larger version  Name:	008.JPG Views:	44 Size:	60.7 KB ID:	145552Click image for larger version  Name:	013 (2).JPG Views:	43 Size:	65.4 KB ID:	145553Click image for larger version  Name:	014.JPG Views:	44 Size:	58.7 KB ID:	145554Click image for larger version  Name:	015 (9).JPG Views:	43 Size:	45.7 KB ID:	145555Click image for larger version  Name:	021.JPG Views:	43 Size:	63.0 KB ID:	145556Click image for larger version  Name:	023 (2).JPG Views:	43 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	145557Click image for larger version  Name:	025.JPG Views:	43 Size:	56.7 KB ID:	145558Click image for larger version  Name:	032 (2).JPG Views:	43 Size:	71.7 KB ID:	145559Click image for larger version  Name:	034 (4).JPG Views:	43 Size:	63.3 KB ID:	145560Click image for larger version  Name:	045.JPG Views:	43 Size:	65.5 KB ID:	145561Click image for larger version  Name:	046 (2).JPG Views:	43 Size:	63.4 KB ID:	145562Click image for larger version  Name:	048 (2).JPG Views:	43 Size:	64.4 KB ID:	145563Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF6651.JPG Views:	43 Size:	73.5 KB ID:	145564Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF6650.JPG Views:	43 Size:	73.2 KB ID:	145565Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0008.JPG Views:	43 Size:	68.4 KB ID:	145566Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0041.JPG Views:	43 Size:	88.6 KB ID:	145567Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0035.JPG Views:	43 Size:	76.1 KB ID:	145568Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0071.JPG Views:	43 Size:	86.9 KB ID:	145570Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0070_0001.JPG Views:	43 Size:	61.0 KB ID:	145571Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0097.JPG Views:	43 Size:	53.6 KB ID:	145572Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0104.JPG Views:	43 Size:	38.2 KB ID:	145573Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0164.JPG Views:	43 Size:	45.2 KB ID:	145574
    Hello Sir

Can you tell me how/what your blue manifold material is made from? How do you make one for a pair of solenoids? I am looking at pictures 4-6 from the bottom up.
    Thanks for sharing your work.
    George
    Last edited by george; 12-14-2020, 12:02 AM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

The manifold blanks were were cast from Polyurethane in rubber tools. Rods placed into the tools cavity formed the internal channels in the cast manifold blank.

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	145874Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	145875Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	145877Click image for larger version

Name:	063.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	145878Click image for larger version

Name:	034 (4).JPG
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	145879Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6650.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	145880Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0041.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	145881Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0035.JPG
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	145882Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0043.JPG
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	145883
      Attached Files
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
        Captain
        • Apr 2020

Name:	5F1C0D99-D808-4A23-8126-E053DE705FEE.jpeg
Views:	351
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	145887Click image for larger version

Name:	2B4BE50A-76EC-4313-BF06-30F49341319E.jpeg
Views:	388
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	145886 Small update.

The new higher pressure Lee Company solenoid valves (30psi maximum operating range) and Clippard adjustable pressure regulator arrived awhile ago. These New 5v Lee 30 psi solenoids perform much more consistent with the launch system then the earlier 5v 15psi max operational psi solenoids did which is not a surprise considering the launcher seams to happily function at low minimum pressure of 21psi.

A precision Clippard adjustable output pressure regulator has been added to the Lee solenoid launch valves to provide a constant 22.5 psi to the system no matter the input pressure.

So far these new components have worked flawlessly with 100% repeatability in functionality. The new Lee valves provide integrated ports that easily accept Flexible tubing connections.

Now that this portion of the launch mechanism has been worked out, I can finally move on to the dual weapon type system. (Electric torpedo and gas torpedo)

The only modifications necessary to the current Launcher design that I can see at this point will be adding a safety torpedo launch stop to each tube (this will be thanks too the same design David employed in his launchers with the forward ball lock)

The launch tube pistons will be updated, but will be the same design between electric weapons and gas weapons.

Both weapons will be pre loaded into the standardized launch tubes, live with the safety lock latched until commanded to launch. If the design proves to be successful, no fueling of the gas torpedo will be required after pre loading into the tube.

Nick

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
          Captain
          • Apr 2020

Here’s the basic CAD drawing of the gas torpedo. It uses the same war head resin casting, aluminum center body and resin tail cone as the G7E electric fish but the guts are simpler.

I have a number of Ronson Cigarette lighter type fill valves left over from producing fuel tanks for miniature steam engine systems so I incorporated one into the design as a fill option on the torpedo’s central propellant storage tank.

Torpedo propellant charging occurs outside of the boat’s launch tubes by having the tube’s launch piston secured and sealed over the torpedo’s tail cone and nozzle. The warhead is removed to charge the propellant tank via the Ronson valve.

Once charged, the war head is installed back onto the torpedo assembly and the torpedo assembly with the launch piston is pushed inside the launch tube and seated against the torpedo tubes breach. At this point the safety ball situated at the muzzle end of the launch tube drops into place and restricts the weapon from leaving the tube until commanded to do so via the Tube’s launch sequence.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
            Captain
            • Apr 2020

Looks like the photo didn’t post yesterday. Here it is again
            Attached Files

Comment

• Bob Gato
              Captain
              • Feb 2019

Nice touch nick, as I see it the gas/liquid is retained centrally for CG purposes? Nice being able to charge weapon outside of the boat-BG

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

Blast from the past https://www.rc-submarines.net/torpedoes.html
                Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2020

Here's the finished internal guts for the gas torpedo

Name:	IMG_2201.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	145926

Name:	IMG_2202.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	145927

Name:	IMG_2203.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	145928

Assembled gas torpedo.

Name:	IMG_2205.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	145929

Warhead removed showing the gas charge valve. The torpedo can be filled using this valve or it can be filled through the nozzle.

Name:	IMG_2206.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	145930

Assembled center section with the warhead and tail cone removed.

Name:	IMG_2207.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	145931

Gas torpedo with launch tube piston in place.

Name:	IMG_2208.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	145932

Gas torpedo next to the electric counter rotating propeller version.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                    Captain
                    • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Bob Gato
                    Nice touch nick, as I see it the gas/liquid is retained centrally for CG purposes? Nice being able to charge weapon outside of the boat-BG
                    Thanks BG, yes sir you are correct about the gas/liquid centrally for CG. Also I’m trying to keep the warheads removable so they can be a separate replaceable item on both the gas and electric versions.

Nick

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                      • Aug 2008

Fantastic work, sir.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                        Captain
                        • Apr 2020

Originally posted by redboat219
                        Oh wow, I have not seen Mike Dory’s write up on his torpedoes in years. Good find!

Very very similar to the torpedo I just made. I decided to use O-ring seals for the central pressure vessel’s bulkheads and tie them together with a brass tube acting as both the stand pipe as well as a stay bolt so the ends can’t blow out. The O-ring groove size and seal squeeze takes into account the expansion and contraction under varying temperatures for both the aluminum tube and the brass bulkhead materials.

Nick

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          Fantastic work, sir.

David
                          Thank you, Sir!

The design still does not beat your production methods for gas weapons! They were in the front of my mind as I was hunched over the lathe turning these parts thinking to myself “damn it, David was right” hahaha, there ya go! I’ll admit it!

Nick

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

love the central storage of gas. Really well designed torpedo. Would like to see what your fish in the pond think of the gas torpedo!
                            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2020

Originally posted by trout
                              love the central storage of gas. Really well designed torpedo. Would like to see what your fish in the pond think of the gas torpedo!
                              Thanks Tom, I appreciate your input. I’m hoping to do some tests later this week. The big thing I’m curious about is pushing the gas torp out the tube via the piston verses swimming out. What effect will that have on the launch running characteristics? No need for porting the launch tubes? We’ll see...

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                                Captain
                                • Apr 2020

So far today the bench testing propellant filling operation of the torpedo through the Ronson valve outside of the torpedo tube with the launch piston installed that is sealed around the torpedo’s nozzle has gone well.

The tests loading of the live charged torpedo into the testing rig launch tube has gone smoothly. Each dry test launch out of the testing rig launch tube with a live torpedo has been successful as well.

The piston travel distance down the launch tube (pre figured from the launch tank volume storage) transitions from pressure driven to stopping by the force (pressure) on the piston’s travel switching to vacuum, while the weapon’s mass still wanting to travel forward (Newton Law) worked perfectly to break the seal on the torpedo’s nozzle.

The design concept and design of gas driven torpedoes has been in use and proven to work for decades by many talented builders.

The tests today are designed to explore different charging and launching designs of this type of weapon and to hopefully expose the pros and cons of each.

Nick

Comment

Working...