Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monahan Steam Models
    Captain
    • Apr 2020

On the topic of Ronson type fill valves, I’d like to share with those of you who may not be familiar with using these valves a couple quick pieces of information the may be useful.

The thread size they use is M4.5 X 0.5

As I mentioned in earlier posts, these fill valves are commonly used for refillable Butane/propane gas tanks purpose made for steam engine boilers within that wide range of hobbies.

I used to be one of those manufacturers more than a decade ago and produced a wide range of engines, boilers, fuel tanks and other bits for the marine hobby market.

I’ve attached some photos of a commonly designed style of a refill adapter available from a number of model steam engine manufacturers who sell refillable fuel tanks.

These are made to thread onto the disposable fuel canisters for light weight backpacking style camping stoves that use 70/30 mix of butane/propane which are available at most outdoor recreational stores.

I forget off the top of my head the exact Size and thread count used on these canisters, (I would need to dig through my old design archives) but here is the good news. The size and pitch that is used on these canisters is also common across a number of other disposable canister products, including airbrush propellant canisters.

These Ronson type fill valves are especially useful when space and weight requirements within a design do not permit the use of a tire style shradder valve stem.

Hope this information is helpful to some of you out there.

Nick
    Attached Files

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
      Captain
      • Apr 2020

Short video of the very first gas torpedo “wet” test in the pond today.

Since it warmed up to 40 degrees F outside this afternoon and it was not raining or snowing, I thought I should finally test the gas torpedo in the pond to see how it does.

In the video, I’m using the launch tube test rig mentioned earlier. It functions the same way as the launcher I designed for the type VIIC but without all the other junk needed to open and close the muzzle doors and shutters before finally activating the launch.

The test rig uses the same size and length launch tube, as well as the same launch piston inside the tube as the type VIIC launcher. The syringe is only drawn back enough to replicate the same volume air charge that the type VIIC individual launch tube reservoirs hold.

The torpedo in the video was only charged up a small amount because I wasn’t sure what to expect and that water is too dang cold this time of year to go in to retrieve it.

Earlier this morning, I machined a few different sized temporary press in nozzles for the outlet tube to get a general idea what worked best. The first size tested was 0.010” but it was too small. The next size tested was .025” and was seeing some good results in the bathtub until the nozzle blew out and I wasn’t even going to attempt to look for it. The test in the video was taken after that happened, so this was just the straight 0.035” bore. Too big!! But still cool. The duration of the run would’ve been longer with the nozzle and a full charge.

Okay Bob, Fine I’ll admit it. I can see now why you like the gas torpedoes! They are pretty cool watching them shoot across the water with a trail of bubbles! They sound neat too!

Now back to my cave!

Nick

P.S. David, from what you can see in the video, what do you think of the launch behavior of the gas torpedo using the piston method? Any pros or cons you can spot?
      Last edited by Monahan Steam Models; 12-18-2020, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
        Short video of the very first gas torpedo “wet” test in the pond today.

Since it warmed up to 40 degrees F outside this afternoon and it was not raining or snowing, I thought I should finally test the gas torpedo in the pond to see how it does.

In the video, I’m using the launch tube test rig mentioned earlier. It functions the same way as the launcher I designed for the type VIIC but without all the other junk needed to open and close the muzzle doors and shutters before finally activating the launch.

The test rig uses the same size and length launch tube, as well as the same launch piston inside the tube as the type VIIC launcher. The syringe is only drawn back enough to replicate the same volume air charge that the type VIIC individual launch tube reservoirs hold.

The torpedo in the video was only charged up a small amount because I wasn’t sure what to expect and that water is too dang cold this time of year to go in to retrieve it.

Earlier this morning, I machined a few different sized temporary press in nozzles for the outlet tube to get a general idea what worked best. The first size tested was 0.010” but it was too small. The next size tested was .025” and was seeing some good results in the bathtub until the nozzle blew out and I wasn’t even going to attempt to look for it. The test in the video was taken after that happened, so this was just the straight 0.035” bore. Too big!! But still cool. The duration of the run would’ve been longer with the nozzle and a full charge.

Okay Bob, Fine I’ll admit it. I can see now why you like the gas torpedoes! They are pretty cool watching them shoot across the water with a trail of bubbles! They sound neat too!

Now back to my cave!

Nick

P.S. David, from what you can see in the video, what do you think of the launch behavior of the gas torpedo using the piston method? Any pros or cons you can spot?
        All pro's, Nick. I saw no over-pressure behind the weapon as it left the muzzle; nothing to upset the intended course of the weapon. Perfect! You've taken me back to school, sir.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
          Captain
          • Apr 2020

I reviewed the video a couple times this evening in slow motion and noticed I moved the launch tube to starboard just as the torpedo was clearing the tube causing it to veer to port. Immediately after the torpedo glances off the under water rock and veers to starboard. It’s nice being able to study the footage in slo mo. A lot can be learned. Can’t wait to run more tests and load it into the real launcher.

Comment

• george
            Captain
            • Dec 2010

On the topic of Ronson type fill valves, I’d like to share with those of you who may not be familiar with using these valves a couple quick pieces of information the may be useful.

The thread size they use is M4.5 X 0.5

As I mentioned in earlier posts, these fill valves are commonly used for refillable Butane/propane gas tanks purpose made for steam engine boilers within that wide range of hobbies.

I used to be one of those manufacturers more than a decade ago and produced a wide range of engines, boilers, fuel tanks and other bits for the marine hobby market.

I’ve attached some photos of a commonly designed style of a refill adapter available from a number of model steam engine manufacturers who sell refillable fuel tanks.

These are made to thread onto the disposable fuel canisters for light weight backpacking style camping stoves that use 70/30 mix of butane/propane which are available at most outdoor recreational stores.

I forget off the top of my head the exact Size and thread count used on these canisters, (I would need to dig through my old design archives) but here is the good news. The size and pitch that is used on these canisters is also common across a number of other disposable canister products, including airbrush propellant canisters.

These Ronson type fill valves are especially useful when space and weight requirements within a design do not permit the use of a tire style shradder valve stem.

Hope this information is helpful to some of you out there.

Nick
            Hello Nick

First, Thanks for posting your Torpedo launcher and actual torpedo fill system.

I have a question reg, the Ronson Fill Valve you posted a picture of. Is that an off the shelf fill valve OR have you modified it to look as shown?

I was looking through ebay for one and can`t find anything like that? Can you post a source link?

Thanks again Nick
            George

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
              Captain
              • Apr 2020

George, the filler or the valve? Sorry it’s late and my brain is fried

Comment

• george
                Captain
                • Dec 2010

George, the filler or the valve? Sorry it’s late and my brain is fried
                Hi Nick
                Sorry for that late night question. Yes both the valve and filler from your pictures in post #91.
                I tried to go through ebay BUT nothing looks like yours.

Also got to ask you, your use of the Lee Company solenoids at 5v. what is the size of air line tubing that you use on the solenoid nipples and how do you secure the lines onto the nipples?
                Did you get your valves from Lee Co. OR else where? Better price then ebay?

Thanks again for ALL your posting and sharing details here.
                George

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

Found one for you George,
                  Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Ronson Type (Varaflame) Quality Filler Inlet Valve Tool + 3 Valves at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!
                  Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                    Captain
                    • Apr 2020

George,

The link Redboat219 found for you are the correct Ronson valves.

Just doing a quick google search turned up this for the fill adapter: http://forest-classics.net/bix%20019.htm

The latest valves were sourced directly from Lee Co as mentioned in earlier posts because they were not available anywhere else. It was a big hassle and they were very expensive buying direct. Almost $70.00 per valve. It is cheaper to find them on eBay. I’ve sourced them there for $10-20 each.

As far as the air line, I source it from McMaster Carr. The ID is 1/16”. It is the same type of line available from Lee Co. The hose line clamps are a Lee Co product and can be sourced direct or found on eBay. You can download the Lee Co complete catalog and find everything there with part numbers. Use the part numbers to search the internet to see if the parts are available elsewhere. If not buy direct from Lee Co.

Hope this helps,

Nick

Comment

• george
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2010

George,

The link Redboat219 found for you are the correct Ronson valves.

Just doing a quick google search turned up this for the fill adapter: http://forest-classics.net/bix%20019.htm

The latest valves were sourced directly from Lee Co as mentioned in earlier posts because they were not available anywhere else. It was a big hassle and they were very expensive buying direct. Almost $70.00 per valve. It is cheaper to find them on eBay. I’ve sourced them there for $10-20 each.

As far as the air line, I source it from McMaster Carr. The ID is 1/16”. It is the same type of line available from Lee Co. The hose line clamps are a Lee Co product and can be sourced direct or found on eBay. You can download the Lee Co complete catalog and find everything there with part numbers. Use the part numbers to search the internet to see if the parts are available elsewhere. If not buy direct from Lee Co.

Hope this helps,

Nick
                      Nick
                      It helped me out a lot! Thanks Again for our help and Time.
                      George

Comment

• george
                        Captain
                        • Dec 2010

Hello Nick
                        Sorry t bother you about this again. I`ve been to the Lee Company site: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...dO0f1geoyoqziJ

No Tubing and No hose clamps. Can you tell me the size or part number for the clamps? Tubing I know McMaster or ebay.
                        Thanks again for your help.
                        George

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by george
                          Hello Nick
                          Sorry t bother you about this again. I`ve been to the Lee Company site: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...dO0f1geoyoqziJ

No Tubing and No hose clamps. Can you tell me the size or part number for the clamps? Tubing I know McMaster or ebay.
                          George
                          George,

I gave you bad info earlier. It is Clippard that makes the hose clamps and tubing. Take a look at the two photos I’m attaching. The part numbers for the hose from McMaster and the clamps from Clippard.

Attached Files

Comment

• george
                            Captain
                            • Dec 2010

Hello again Nick
                            Thanks for the updated info!
                            A question reg. your Lee Company solenoid 5v valves you use. Are they the same one pictured under Dave M way above in this topic? Part #LHDA0521111H-5v OR can you tell me the part number for the one in your Post #78 above, that one has air lines to each nipple with no manifold? I would think that one is easier to direct connect air line hose to.

Again Thanks
                            George
                            Last edited by george; 12-19-2020, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2020

Originally posted by george
                              Hello again Nick
                              Thanks for the updated info!
                              A question reg. your Lee Company solenoid 5v valves you use. Are they the same one pictured under Dave M way above in this topic? Part #LHDA0521111H-5v OR can you tell me the part number for the one in your Post #78 above, that one has air lines to each nipple with no manifold? I would think that one is easier to direct connect air line hose to.

Again Thanks
                              George
                              Yes I have used the LHDA052111H solenoid valves and they work great. I posted a EBay link for you a while back for a reasonably priced set.

The solenoids I use now are different. It was later discovered that the design currently being developed required a higher pressure range valve.

The part number for those solenoid valves is LHDA0533215H. These are 30psi valves.

Comment

• george
                                Captain
                                • Dec 2010

That`s Great!
                                George

Comment

Working...