Methods of incorporating neat and accurate "sea steps" in 1/72 & 1/96 scale models?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by wlambing
    Ed,
    You were in charge of the ships sewing machine, so get you thread out and knit one! )
    David,
    I don't believe you shanked me! I think it was a healthy pinch with lock-wire pliers, followed by a good yank! At least that's what this Lower-level Louie would do! ;) What, were you trying to corner the world supply of Dremel tools, too?

Thank you for those additional pictures! They will augment my other research files nicely!

Take care, All!

Bill
    Hey! I remember GRANTS being a galvanized, metal affair! Constructed of chain, and each round rung had oversized disks on each end to keep them off the hull. I thought I had a photo
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• wlambing
      Commander
      • Nov 2020

Oh, you mean that stupid thing for on the sail that NOBODY ever used!!! Too much of a pain in the ass! 688s had to, 'cos they forgot to put ladder rungs on the sail. The fabric one I was thinking of was the Admiral's ladder, that draped over the side of the hull, maybe only on the fast boats. It had 2"X2"X3' battens captured in the fabric for "steps". It was clipped to the safety track when in use. I do recall that Grant had a god-awful waste of time and money all-aluminum accommodation ladder stored in the ships cage! Some idiot admiral's idea that submarines needed them. Hell, the boats couldn't even carry them!!! Another mystery, similar to the 4'X8' sheet of 1/2" thick copper plate that was assigned as equipage to every submarine. Nobody knew why it was there, or what it was for!

Comment

Working...