X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monahan Steam Models
    Captain
    • Apr 2020

Wanted: Bronco type XXIII fittings set

I know this is a long shot but I wanted to see if anyone had a set of the Type XXIII fittings David produced years ago and would be interested in selling them? I figured I’d ask first before I started re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks,

Nick
  • Ken_NJ
    Captain
    • Sep 2014

I'm interested as well.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Bob Martin has all the fittings kit tooling. Right now he's busy getting his new type WTC on line. Perhaps, in the future, when he gets the time, he'll get those fittings kits back into circulation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4547.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	152323Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4586.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	152324Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5237.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	152325Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5338.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	152326Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5607.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	152327Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5610.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	152328Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5609.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	152329

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

So I guess it's "Necessity is the mother of invention."
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
          Captain
          • Apr 2020

I did speak with Bob many months ago about this fittings set. IIRC, from our conversation, he would like to make them available again but there are more pressing matters that he is focusing on that would benefit far more in the hobby such as WTC’s and I agree with him completely.

The fittings set is not necessary to build a functional Type XXIII. It is however a well thought out quality set and a huge help if you have the fittings set already.

Comment

• goshawk823
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Oct 2010

wow, talk about coincidences... I'm actively looking for this same set. I just reached out to David, and he mentioned Bob has all the tooling now for this set (I was unaware of this!) If anyone hears of any coming available, I'm very much interested in buying a set.
            thanks
            -sam

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by goshawk823
              wow, talk about coincidences... I'm actively looking for this same set. I just reached out to David, and he mentioned Bob has all the tooling now for this set (I was unaware of this!) If anyone hears of any coming available, I'm very much interested in buying a set.
              thanks
              -sam
              Where the hell were you guys when I first made these things available?!....

David
              Use It Or It Will Be Gone
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                Captain
                • Sep 2014

On this thread alone there are three of us looking for this fitting kit. And Bob is very busy moving and getting WTC's going. Hopefully this fitting kit gets put someplace up there in line. I guess there are none left of the pones David made up.

Comment

• goshawk823
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Where the hell were you guys when I first made these things available?!....

David
                  Use It Or It Will Be Gone
                  Great question, oh exalted one. :)
                  For me, it was acquiring the kit and putting in the stash "for later"and not considering that they may not be available when needed. Well, it's now "later", and I missed getting one of these sets in the meantime, and Bob sold 'em all out. Truly "use it or it will be gone".

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by goshawk823

Great question, oh exalted one. :)
                    For me, it was acquiring the kit and putting in the stash "for later"and not considering that they may not be available when needed. Well, it's now "later", and I missed getting one of these sets in the meantime, and Bob sold 'em all out. Truly "use it or it will be gone".
                    Bob has a lot on his plate at the moment -- as we all know. Like he said, getting the new WTC's into production is job-one for him.

But, take heart, Sam. You and other guys with good hands will figure out how to make use of the kit supplied parts as you convert that static display into a well running r/c model submarine.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                      Welcome to my underwater realm!
                      • Aug 2009

Hoping the new shop, new blood and new energy will allow for re-introduction of the fittings kits. It's on the docket, but still a long ways down it.

I just helped Jason with his Revel Gato conversion to surface runner. I have to say, there is NOTHING WRONG with the kit-supplied parts. The rudder mechanism, in particular, was exceptionally easy to enlist as a functional rudder. David did such a good job putting the conversion kit together that I think people think it is REQUIRED for conversion of the kits to RC.

Nuh Uh... just takes some thought and a bit of ingenuity.

Comment

• goshawk823
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by SubHuman
                        Hoping the new shop, new blood and new energy will allow for re-introduction of the fittings kits. It's on the docket, but still a long ways down it.

I just helped Jason with his Revel Gato conversion to surface runner. I have to say, there is NOTHING WRONG with the kit-supplied parts. The rudder mechanism, in particular, was exceptionally easy to enlist as a functional rudder. David did such a good job putting the conversion kit together that I think people think it is REQUIRED for conversion of the kits to RC.

Nuh Uh... just takes some thought and a bit of ingenuity.
                        Oh yeah, the dive planes and rudder aren't a big deal to get working for R/C. Steve Neill just wrote how he got his kit supplied parts ready for running. For me, the prop shaft, prop itself and the bearing that David created for lining up and seating the prop shaft in the hull exit are the parts I think would really help.
                        Hope that the shop and the move are going better, Bob.

Comment

• redboat219
                          Admiral
                          • Dec 2008

The late David Welch recommended that one can use a Raboesch 162-22 to replace the kit's stock propeller. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	153974
                          Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Araldite a brass ferrule or threaded insert into the prop supplied in the kit. A prop shaft should be easy to make up even if you lack machine tools. Bit of brass tube couple of sintered bushings and a bit of stainless shaft.

Comment

• wlambing
                              Commander
                              • Nov 2020

The biggest problem encountered in the stern tube area is fabbing up a suitable shaft support bearing block. That's a big, open space back there to try to fill with a shaft bearing tube! I haven't watched Steve's video, but if you do what he did, you should be golden. Technically, mine hasn't gotten more than a rough trim (Groton), but should be ready for sea-lane mayhem come next season!!

Comment

Working...