Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by HvyCGN9
    Done.... brushes look fresh(unmarked.....possibly motor not run in !!)and there are two caps in there, likewise with commutator. I will reassemble it and run it in a bucket of water for a bit see if it comes good.

Motor is a three pole type too....

Bruce

.....waiting for test tank to fill....
    Our horrible motor secrete revealed: a cheap-ass, three-pole, many turn motor. Sue me!

Anyway ... you obviously know your motors (the motor water break-in trick). Keep at that thing and let us know if that fixes the stuttering problem.

Just a thought: did your solder extend to the cap wires wrapped around the motor terminals? If one or both of the cap wires were loose on the terminals they might have vibrated on-off to the cap resulting into a vibration induced motorstutter. What do you think?

Good stuff you're doing Bruce. Keep at it, pal -- you're taking me back to school.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HvyCGN9
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jan 2013

For more drama I don't think it was the motor! bench testing with my 540 motor worked fine....after a couple of goes blowing ballast and pumping out and engaging throttle the gremlin returned!! Could it be a BEC issue... at this point I have no idea.......

On a positive note I luckily realised I have set the ADF2 failsafe ass backwards....in the event of signal loss USS Shark will presently DIVE....easy fix!

Tomora night I will try a different BEC or plug the ESC bec back in to test...

Bruce

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HvyCGN9
        For more drama I don't think it was the motor! bench testing with my 540 motor worked fine....after a couple of goes blowing ballast and pumping out and engaging throttle the gremlin returned!! Could it be a BEC issue... at this point I have no idea.......

On a positive note I luckily realised I have set the ADF2 failsafe ass backwards....in the event of signal loss USS Shark will presently DIVE....easy fix!

Tomora night I will try a different BEC or plug the ESC bec back in to test...

Bruce
        Good man! If this was eazy every fool would be driving r/c subs. Keep plugging away. Yeah, switch power-supplies. I need to know what's going on here.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HvyCGN9
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jan 2013

After some mucking around trying a different Rx which yielded no change in the problem I extracted the 5A/5volt Bec (a Hobbyking purchase) and swapped in a 3A/5 or 6volt BEC HektronikClick image for larger version

Name:	HXTUBEC2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	91245, I have used these before in USS Long Beach and USS California (I have several spares for new projects as these ones can take an input voltage between 6 to 23Volts) So far on Bench testing the ESC sutter and servo crazies seem to have stopped! I will re tidy the wiring arrangement and try a test tank run to see how it does in H2o.....

I am leaning toward the BEC brown out theory.....the 555 motor is off the hook!

Cheers Bruce
          Last edited by HvyCGN9; 04-30-2014, 04:10 AM. Reason: added stuff

Comment

• Aug 2008

Good stuff, Bruce. Keep at it, pal.

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HvyCGN9
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Jan 2013

Thanks Dave,

Last nights testing was cancelled due to flat Tx battery !! It rudely demanded recharging just as I was getting ready for a test tank run! Just before that I had a small scare when I couldn't get the SAS pump or ballast servo to work (thought I had killed it....) turned out to be a loose y lead plug....phew!!

Now off to fill the test tank for Rd3 or 4 of testing!!

Cheers Bruce

Comment

• HvyCGN9
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Jan 2013

All seems to be working now!! Yahoo! Now need to get back to ballasting....

Bruce

Comment

• Aug 2008

Excellent. So, what was it, Bruce?

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HvyCGN9
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    Excellent. So, what was it, Bruce?

M
                    I reckon it was a BEC problem.....probably the 5A BEC I was using isn't really capable of 5A! dodgy cheap POS..... seems to be running fine with the more expensive (By $2...) 3A BEC currently in there.

Bruce

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Bruce, heres the one Caswell sells and it works great. Ive got five of them.http://www.sub-driver.com/battery-el...r-circuit.html
                      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thanks, Bruce. Very glad to see you got this thing licked.

M
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HvyCGN9
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          Thanks, Bruce. Very glad to see you got this thing licked.

M
                          Now I just have to work out how to ballast it!!

Here are some pix of the disassembled 555 just before I put it back together...
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0672a1.jpg
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	91266
                          end plate of 555 sitting on the helo deck of USS Long Beach(freshly re done with Hawkgraphics USN flight deck markings)
                          Note the unmarked brushes and factory Caps....probably a good idea to run these 555s in before final install in the SD

Name:	DSC_0673a1.jpg
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	91267
                          nice clean commutator..

Name:	DSC_0674a1.jpg
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	91268
                          re assembled just before I put it back into the motor can. Which is a fiddly job because the magnets try to snatch the coil part of the motor there by disengaging the brushes! I used a bit of 1/8th styrene rod thru the front bush of the motor (against the motor shaft) to stop the armature jumping fwd, the carefully pushed the end back on folded the tabs over and then tested it on a 12v battery....screams nicely!!

This is the motor I have put in...

Name:	DSC_0671a1.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	91269
                          Now back to build log!!

Bruce
                          Last edited by HvyCGN9; 05-01-2014, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thanks, Bruce. Love the PC board attached to the back of that motor with the SM'ed cap's -- slick!

Hey, Kevin: Can you work up something like that to fit the ass-end of our 250 and 380 motors? Give us a price for 500 of 'em if you get a moment.

M
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• KevinMc
                              Commander
                              • Feb 2009

Absolutely can!
                              Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
                              KMc Designs

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Kevin, check your KMC Designs page for a posting by me. Thanks
                                IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

Working...