Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

"you nasty old kit-assembler you", Old? who you calling old.....oh wait I am, depression sets in.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• H2Ohaze
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
      I tried my own BEC and no change. Swapped back and forth between 'your' and 'mine' receivers. Mine works, you're is glitching like crazy. I'll try the battery trick, Tom -- good call, you nasty old kit-assembler you.

I'm trying to think of anything different about this receiver...I use an identical one in my Holland.

There is only one thing I can think of: when I first plugged in the shadow programmer first time to set channel, I noticed the female connector on the board was a little resistant. I thought it was that the outer paper shell was a little high, making the plugging in harder, since female was a bit more recessed than on my Holland receiver.

But after that first time or two, no prob.

I'm really grasping at straws here, the resistance only happened momentarily, and I didn't have to force it at all. ?????

I used to test connectors as part of my job, and I didn't think it was overly strange at the time, like it was within limits.
      Last edited by H2Ohaze; 01-30-2013, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• H2Ohaze
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Jul 2011

Any progress on the assembly?

Comment

• H2Ohaze
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jul 2011

Any news at all, hello?

Comment

• H2Ohaze
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Jul 2011

David, what's going on with my VIIC engine room?

Comment

• H2Ohaze
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Jul 2011

Any update on my tray?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

I have been unable to get the tremor out of the ballast sub-system servo. I have Kevin McLoed coming over in a week or so and we'll see if he can trace the problem out. Very sorry for the delay and lack of communication -- I've had my head up my derriere with other work.
                Last edited by Kazzer; 03-06-2013, 06:39 AM. Reason: learning French
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• H2Ohaze
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Jul 2011

Anything happening on my problem yet?

Comment

• Anuci
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2008

H20haze,

I know it's not much consolation, but for what it is worth, I appreciate and commend you for your patience and perseverance, but more so your persistence to find a resolve to the particular issue you've encountered. I for one have become just as curious to learn what may have been at the root of this particular malfunction or electrical interference which may be causing the problem affecting your equipment.
                    However, you may simply find it best to work thru the problem yourself, replacing various components with other name brand parts to see what works and what does not at this point. Just a suggestion and food for thought, this knowing how busy things can get for Dave from time to time there at his workshop. In any regard, once you get some answers you may hopefully post your findings to the Sub-Pository category of the forum board for others to review and refer to when addressing there own such concerns.

Best of luck with all your efforts on this,
                    Al,
                    Last edited by Anuci; 04-06-2013, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• H2Ohaze
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Anuci
                      H20haze, However, you may simply find it best to work thru the problem yourself, replacing various components with other name brand parts to see what works and what does not at this point. Just a suggestion and food for thought, this knowing how busy things can get for Dave from time to time there at his workshop. Best of luck with all your efforts on this, Al,
                      Been there, done that. Read this thread and the previous one on this problem. David had me send it in after I had reached the endgame of swapping things and many many experiments, only to be checkmated. I can't do things like change circuits on the ADF2 for example.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by H2Ohaze
                        Anything happening on my problem yet?
                        Yes, I've taken it as far as I can -- swapped out everything. The best I've achieved is to get the ballast servo to a quiver, i.e. I've reduced the stutter, but have not entirely eleminated it. Had Kevin McLeod over and he did what he could. I'll box it all up and will send it your way tomorrow.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• H2Ohaze
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Jul 2011

All I can think of trying is if you happen to have a 50 Mhz version of the SL-8 receiver, is to try that. You'd also need a Tx module for 50 Mhz Ham band.

They do make an 8 channel 50 Mhz version of their receiver. But it's a lot more money than the 75 Mhz one. There are also Futaba 50 Mhz modules that pop into the back of Tx.

Running the signals on the lower frequency is a long shot, but I can't think of anything else. If you don't have a Tx module I could try it, because I have one for my Futaba 9C Tx. But not the receiver...didn't want to spend the upwards of $90. Do you have one lying around your place I could borrow if you don't have the Tx module?

I'm legal for Ham, so no prob there.

Comment

• Aug 2008

No, sorry, I'm unlicensed in that activity. I've taken it as far as I can. Sorry its not a complete fix, but it's better than when it arrived. And my sincerest apologize for the long delay in getting your gear back to you.

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• H2Ohaze
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Jul 2011

Okay, thank you for your time on it. Did you ever get the two motors to spin at approx same speed? That was also an issue, where the starboard motor was slower/less torque.

And I sent in the 180 degree fitting the the LPB that gets glued over the rudder rod exiting out the rear bulkhead...I had been wondering if you could glue that on since it is so close to the control rod seals, didn't want to get them mucked up with excess RTV.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by H2Ohaze
                                Okay, thank you for your time on it. Did you ever get the two motors to spin at approx same speed? That was also an issue, where the starboard motor was slower/less torque.

And I sent in the 180 degree fitting the the LPB that gets glued over the rudder rod exiting out the rear bulkhead...I had been wondering if you could glue that on since it is so close to the control rod seals, didn't want to get them mucked up with excess RTV.
                                The motor speed seemed to be consistant -- however, I also enclosed a 'spare' two-motor 2" motor-bulkhead for you to use.

If you smear the RTV at the base of the two SAS nipples and slide the manifold down till it butts up against the face of the motor-bulkhead, there's no way you'll get RTV adhesive into the lines.

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...