Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and expectations

Hello, and welcome to the forums at the Nautilus Drydocks, formerly Sub-driver.com!

We welcome anyone with a passion for submarines and a desire to learn and share knowledge about this fascinating hobby. Use of these forums indicates your intention to abide by our code of conduct:


1. No spam. All automated messages, advertisements, and links to competitor websites will be deleted immediately.

2. Please post in relevant sub-forums only. Messages posted in the wrong topic area will be removed and placed in the correct sub-forum by moderators.

3. Respect other users. No flaming or abusing fellow forum members. Users who continue to post inflammatory, abusive comments will be deleted from the forum after or without a warning.

4. No threats or harassment of other users will be tolerated. Any instance of threatening or harassing behavior is grounds for deletion from the forums.

5. No profanity or pornography is allowed. Posts containing adult material will be deleted.

6. No re-posting of copyrighted materials or other illegal content is allowed. Any posts containing illegal content or copyrighted materials will be deleted.
See more
See less

D&E Skipjack Trim

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • D&E Skipjack Trim

    In my rebuilding of my D&E Skipjack I am trying to rework the trim. I removed all the open cell foam I had used back in ‘96 that I feel was holding som water. I had the entire nose of the sub in front of the WTC filled with foam. Now with the inner hull empty I started attaching foam blocks outside the hull to set the trim. From the attached pics I am not sure I can fit all that foam I side the nose of the boat. Could I use the Spray on expand O foam to fill the nose or will that stuff melt the hull? Does the Almighty remember if the entire nose needed to be full of foam for this sub? There were 2 semi circular strips of lead that are glued to the hull for Dynamic stability. Should I remove some of that lead that was glued just up toward the front of the WTC so I don’t need so much nose foam? As can be seen from the submerged pic the boat is nose high when under water. So now I am scratching my head on how to proceed.

    Suggestions?

  • #2
    Here is a submerged trim pic

    Comment


    • #3
      Don't use that spray-in-place foam. It might split the bow open like a ripe mellon. Move the weight back a bit so you can take advantage of the available annular space between WTC and hull.

      David
      "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

      Comment


      • #4
        Any pics of the interior layout? That seems like a sh1t-ton of foam to need up front. Sumpin fishy here...

        Comment


        • #5
          Without seeing the inside, like Bob said, it seems like a ton of foam. So, I think a redistribution of weight might be necessary (if you can). Did you attach your weights with silicon?
          Last edited by trout; 06-10-2020, 08:40 AM.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

          Comment


          • #6
            Here are some pics of the inside of the upper and lower hull. You can see the curved lead weights that came with the model back in ‘96. I have removed all the foam that was in the nose section since it was more of a floral arrangement type of foam. The WTC extends up into the upper hull at least to that first lead weight. I was trying to make a large foam block out of those blue foam blocks that I could carve into a bullet nose Shape but failed miserably at that. That is when I thought of the expending foam. I bought some Loctite brand Spray foam at Home Depot and sprayed it into a styrofoam cup and it didn’t crack the cup or ever get hot while expending. I have also purchased a small purplish/pink foam project panel from HD that I can use to cut up foam pieces once I figure out how to proceed. I guess I should have left well enough alone but I thought I could make it better.
            Attached Files

            Comment


            • #7
              I took that cup of Loctite foam, cut it out of the cup and shaped it to fit in the nose of the sub. It got really close to the desired surface trim but no where near the submerged trim. Here are the resulting pics. You can see the sub sunk to the bottom of the tub whereas before I had it so the sail was about 1/2” above the surface

              Comment


              • #8
                Here is my latest iteration on trim. It looks pretty good at submerged trim and acceptable at surface trim. Now to see if I can get all that foam glued into the upper hull. I might need to cut the purple foam in half to get it inside between the hull and the WTC.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by llangston1 View Post
                  Here is my latest iteration on trim. It looks pretty good at submerged trim and acceptable at surface trim. Now to see if I can get all that foam glued into the upper hull. I might need to cut the purple foam in half to get it inside between the hull and the WTC.
                  A significant fraction of the foam goes into the annular space between cylinder and hull, from waterline down.

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0117.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	140503Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0608.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	140504
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4687.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	140506

                  David
                  Attached Files
                  "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Arrrrrrrgh! Well my experiment with the expando foam was a failure. Even though it appears closed cell it’s not and absorbs water. You can squeeze it out like a sponge. So now I am back to trying to sculpt a bullet shaped foam block out of the pieces that I have. Also the strips along the sides are going to have to be about the thickness of a styrofoam cup in order to fit between the hull and the WTC. The saga continues......

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If this **** was easy every slob would be doing it. Stick with it.

                      David
                      "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I just don’t remember it being this hard to trim out when we first got it back in ‘96. But I also didn’t trim it to keep the top if the sail above water when submerged either. I believe I epoxied those lead weights in the nose so it will be difficult to remove them to shave them down. I could grind them down with a dremel if you think I should. Another thing might be to grind down the back stop on the bottom hull to move the WTC further back in the hull. There appears to be about 1/4” left before the Drive shaft front dogbone would bottom in the motor coupler slots. The virus shutdown has given me the time to keep playing with it to get it right. Otherwise I might have put it aside for something else.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Any suggestions on how to glue foam together to make a 4” cube that I can shave down to try and make this bullet shaped nose cone filler. My last attempt with CA gel didn’t really work well. The smaller blocks started splitting apart as I shaped the larger block. Another way might be to build the nose block in layers inside the hull starting with the very front block in the tip and then adding shaped blocks behind that in multiple layers until I fill up the nose area. Any other suggestions or recommendations?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by llangston1 View Post
                            I just don’t remember it being this hard to trim out when we first got it back in ‘96. But I also didn’t trim it to keep the top if the sail above water when submerged either. I believe I epoxied those lead weights in the nose so it will be difficult to remove them to shave them down. I could grind them down with a dremel if you think I should. Another thing might be to grind down the back stop on the bottom hull to move the WTC further back in the hull. There appears to be about 1/4” left before the Drive shaft front dogbone would bottom in the motor coupler slots. The virus shutdown has given me the time to keep playing with it to get it right. Otherwise I might have put it aside for something else.
                            You can pop those weights off the epoxy adhesive by shoving a screw driver under them.

                            David
                            "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by llangston1 View Post
                              Any suggestions on how to glue foam together to make a 4” cube that I can shave down to try and make this bullet shaped nose cone filler. My last attempt with CA gel didn’t really work well. The smaller blocks started splitting apart as I shaped the larger block. Another way might be to build the nose block in layers inside the hull starting with the very front block in the tip and then adding shaped blocks behind that in multiple layers until I fill up the nose area. Any other suggestions or recommendations?
                              Epoxy pieces of foam together till you have a blank you can cut to 'bullet' shape. This ain't rocket science. But first, pop those nose weights and move them farther aft so you won't need so much frig'n foam in the bow.

                              David
                              "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X