Dumas Big Swamp Buggy

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

When fat, lazy, no-talent, overpaid, self-entitled American's finally get off their collective asses, only then, will the jobs come back here.

Nobody's worth $60 an hour!!!!

No middle-class working American should expect the same pay and respect as a rocket-scientist or brain-surgeon. No such thing as a classless society -- only fools who think there is. You want the big bucks, stay in school, keep your nose clean, work long and hard, and don't screw around.

Compete!

What happened to working hard, working long, and working smart? If you're not pulling down 60 hours a week, you're not trying!

Until we start working like the Chinese (long and hard, and with a grateful smile), they will continue to eat our collective lunches. Wake up, America!

We're the problem: cry-baby, spoilt American's who demand the same later-in-life rewards our fathers (through blood, sweat, and tears) secured for themselves through directed, disciplined, achievements. The Chinese are not the problem ... they're the model. Simply put, the Chinese want the good life more than we do, but unlike us, they know they have to work for it.

Get the government out of our hair: open up the sweat-shops, abolish the minimum wage laws, screw child-labor restrictions, and get this Machine that was once America back in gear. Set up trade-schools, reinstate the apprentice-journeyman-master rankings in the trades, and abolish all unions. Let the market-place set standards, prices, and wages.

Get rid of ALL welfare programs. Those idiots who won't fend for themselves, and who the local charities have given up on, let 'em die -- collect these government-cheese munching parasites bodies in the morning sweep and dump 'em in the local land-fill.

Darwinism works in the animal world. And it works within the human collective as well -- if you let it.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
      When fat, lazy, no-talent, overpaid, self-entitled American's finally get off their collective asses, only then, will the jobs come back here.

Nobody's worth $60 an hour!!!!

No middle-class working American should expect the same pay and respect as a rocket-scientist or brain-surgeon. No such thing as a classless society -- only fools who think there is. You want the big bucks, stay in school, keep your nose clean, work long and hard, and don't screw around.

Compete!
      Blah--------blah-----blah -etc etc
      Darwinism works in the animal world. And it works within the human collective as well -- if you let it.

Give him a soapbox!
      David
      Good grief! How did he get out?

ROSE!!!!!! Did he steal the cave key?

I'm a little confused as to how no one is worth $60 and hour, and then we all have to compete to get to the top of this pile. Seems like a contradiction of philosophies here.:wink:
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Here we go with a little progress. Here we see the new motor mounted and the different throttle linkage setup. Next we will mount the 4 blade prop and spinner and the fuel tank. Then itll be time for engine break in. And then...........................WATER!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	67106Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 010.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	67107Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 011.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	67108
        IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Looking at the available space, there is not enough room behind the engine now for the same fuel tank configuration. This being caused by the rear mounted carburator. As you can see in the picture , Im going to shave off the wood blocks that the tank used to sit on and turn the tank sideways and let it sit down in the recess.

Name:	Transfer 012.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	67138

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

After those mods. ,here we have what we ave mates! The big 4 blade alluminum spinner didnt come with a "adapter". Now that I know that , Ive got one of those on the way too. In the mean time , here she is mounted up with fuel tank straped down.

Name:	Transfer 018.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	67148Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 019.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	67149

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Sorry Guys! I just cant resist. If the 4 blade prop is not big enough for this engine.................I will resort to this. Two props on one propshaft. I tried it before with great success. Just depends on if we have enough power. If it works we will have an eight blade prop. Ill do it by drilling and pinning the props together. That is, of course after its broken in and I see the possibility of success.

Name:	Transfer 020.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	67160Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 021.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	67161

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Shes now ready for engine break in. At this point it appears that the prop shaft is too short to put two props on her, unless..............................

Name:	Transfer 001.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	67231Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 002.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	67232

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Breaking in the engine. A four cycle model airplane engine with a ring on the piston, instead of ABC construction(alluminum, brass, chrome, signifying a tapered piston sleeve fit) requires a break in period to seat the ring to the cylinder. This is noted by turning over the engine by hand and feeling no compression. One thing that I noted during the break in is the amount of fuel used. They said to set it so rich that the exhaust smokes. Well the first tank of fuel lasted four minutes at half throttle. WOW! I leaned it out some after that.

Name:	Transfer 003.jpg
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	67290Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 005.jpg
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	67291Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 006.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	67292Wow! Stop action photography. You can see the propellor here.

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Today was the day. I took her down to the backup submarine pond and let her go. WONDERFUL! She has more power than before for sure. Put her down on the grass and it moves along real good. In the water, just idling she moves along pretty good. A full speed run and she almost blew over. Im going to make a removable weight for the front end to keep her from blowing over but removable for maximum dry land capability. Because of wear and tear on the bottom corners of the sponsons , I limit dry land usage to grass.
                    The 11x9 prop seems a little too much for her. Shell be happier with the 11x6 prop. I changed it tonight.

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Tested her again after the prop change in my back yard. She revs more authoritatively, for sure. Gotta get the weight on so we can do some high speed runs. At the same time Im gonna show you something cool.

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Cut and installed the weight. A piece of Stainless Steel flat bar. 1/4" thick. It weighs 11 ozs. If its too much ill shorten it. It comes off with two wood screws. Ill remove it when running on land.

Name:	Transfer 359.jpg
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	76815Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 360.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	76816Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 361.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	76817

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Ok , that weight was too much for it, so I pulled it off completely, for now. The motor seems to be down on power since I ran it last. Hmmmm, I guess I should have bought the OS and not the economy engine.

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Ofcourse, it was very hot and sticky that day, causing lower possible power outputs. Cooler air is denser causing higher oxygen percentages in the fuel air mixtures. In 3 or 4 months it will moderate temperature wise.
                            Last edited by greenman407; 07-23-2014, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

What if?......................What if, I took that bottom hole and filled it up? You know......the hole ...or space on the bottom of the engine tower structure. You can see it in this picture. Down , close to the deck, that space is 3" across and 2&1/2" in height. What if I filled it up with something useful.........................like another power unit that would work along with the 4 cycle engine to produce more thrust?Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 020.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	91793

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

What if we jammed one of these in there...............just for the heck of it? Why do we need more thrust? Because, this boat does not have a flat bottom like most airboats. It is a tunnel or Catamaran as some boats are known. It therefore has a lot of drag when its on grass. All the weight of the boat is "point loaded" on to the ground on two points, whereas a flat bottom would distribute the weight over a large area, thus reducing ground pressure and drag. Conversely, when its on the water it has less drag than a flat bottom boat because the tunnel shape of the bottom of the hull will allow air under it and lift the boat up.Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan unit 2.JPG
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	91794Click image for larger version

Name:	ducted fan 1.JPG
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	91795Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	91796

Comment

Working...