X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

If that doesnt do it we will try a SAITO gas turbine!:biggrin:
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

OK, the new engine is here along with an alluminum spinner and a 4 blade prop. I dont believe that the 11-6 prop that I ordered will do the trick so I am ordering a 11-9 4 blade prop on Friday.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 462.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	66678Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 463.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	66679Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 464.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	66680 Under that blue valve cover are the rocker arms and the two tubes on the front of the engine are the valve pushrod covers. A little FYI for those who didnt know.

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Now for my next trick......we are going to install this 4 cycle motor on our Swamp Buggy. I have taken the liberty to remove the .74 2 cycle engine. The first problem is that the 2 cycle engine had a front mounted carburator, thus the vertical control arm that you see in the pictures. The new engine has a rear mounted carburator, so we will be modifying that control rod.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 491.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	66681Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 492.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	66682

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Also the fuel tank that went behind the engine will now have to be slid further back because of the space that the carburator on the rear of the engine takes up. That vertical red painted wood strip was the retainer for the fuel tank. It will be removed and repositioned. You can see areas on top of the engine tower where there is no paint. Thats the engine mounting lug location. I trimmed those down so that a forward angle could be put on the engine so that it wouldnt have as much of a tendancy to FLY. In so doing we used up the extra space between the prop and the deck. That means we cant put a bigger prop diameter on this boat unless we modify again, which we can do if it becomes necessary. To get the thrust that im looking for we may have to go up to a 12" or 13" dia. prop. This engine is reported to be able to turn a 14"-6 prop as a matter of routine. I will start out with 10% nitro and after its broken in go to my usual car and boat fuel of 20% nitro and 20% caster oil. Oh, you can see parts of the UFO Skydiver in the background. Thats all for today FOLKS!
          Last edited by greenman407; 02-28-2012, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

HEY MIKE. The decal on the side of my Swamp Buggy reminds me of the artwork on the sail of HMS Sybil!

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

The DADBLAMED carburators control arm reqs. a 1mm allen wrench to adjust it around to a usable position. Well guess what? All the sets that I own and all the sets at the job only go down to 1.5mm. Been searching the internet for a while and nobody has one! If I cant get one then Ill have to use a cable to work the carburator. Anybody know where I can get a 1mm allen wrench??!!

Comment

• Reckless
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Jan 2012

I know you said in an earlier thread that you bought a kit off Ebay... but I picked up a lil kit from canadian tire or walmart that had a crap load of little bits in it ... included were 1.5, 1.3, 1.0 .. .9 .7 etc...

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Thanks Reckless. I was just guessing on the 1 mm. Im sure that the 1.3 or.9 will fit it. Ill get it in a couple of days and then we will see. If I can I will drill out and retape for a size bigger. The smaller the set screw the more fragile it is .

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

The funniest thing. I recieved the metric allen wrench set last night. My 1.5mm allen wrenches would not fit in the offending screw. The new sets 1.5mm does however. WEIRD! I guess "Its the same, only different" I guess it depends on the flavor. At any rate I can now move ahead on it.

Comment

• Reckless
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Jan 2012

I've had to take one of my needle files to a small allen key before to get it to fit properly .. sometimes just the oxidization or paint coating on different allen keys is enough to mess you up.

Comment

• Kazzer
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Reckless
                        I've had to take one of my needle files to a small allen key before to get it to fit properly .. sometimes just the oxidization or paint coating on different allen keys is enough to mess you up.
                        That's puzzling why they don't fit. Allen keys are usually treated with Black Oxide. This is a 'stain' rather than a paint coating, so it does not effect the overall thickness.
                        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

I think that its just like everything else these days........LACK OF QUALITY CONTROL. In my line of work , I cannot tell you how many brand new parts that we purchase are BAD right out of the box. Then there are those parts that last just barely the warranty period(90 Days) and then fail. We stay away from "rebuilt" because they are almost guarantied to fail. Today, manufacturers secret moto is "Get it out the door.....we will worry about it later".

Comment

• redboat219
                            Admiral
                            • Dec 2008

More like, "let the costumer worry about it later."
                            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Kazzer
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
                              I think that its just like everything else these days........LACK OF QUALITY CONTROL. In my line of work , I cannot tell you how many brand new parts that we purchase are BAD right out of the box. Then there are those parts that last just barely the warranty period(90 Days) and then fail. We stay away from "rebuilt" because they are almost guarantied to fail. Today, manufacturers secret moto is "Get it out the door.....we will worry about it later".

I think I know the culprit. Turn the product over and look at the small print at the bottom of the part. It usually says MADE IN CHINA

There's the problem! Their policy is, "We get their money up front, and the American retailer can worry about 'returns' because we know our government make it velly difficult to send stuff back!" They don't pay taxes here, we don't charge import duties (like most other sensible countries do) and they have no infrastructure to support. Now they have all our jobs and we sit here and talk rubbish about free trade.

I could go on - for hours -and hours -and hours - and hours. He's on his favorite Give him a soapbox!
                              Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Nicely put Mike!

Comment

Working...