X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GatoSubfan
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Sep 2013

Revell Gato build question

Im obliviously new to the rc submarine hobby and this may be a stupid question but im am going to ask it anyway, Im starting a build on the revell 1:72 gato class U-boat and i want to build it with a dry inside much like a real U-boat would be if still in service today, All the equipment and electronics still in water tight tubs but want a dry inside, My question is, Is it possible to do this or am i just a idiot for thinking i can do this to a rc submarine. Please let me know if this is possible, Thank you :)
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

A watertight cylinder inside a dry hull, very much doable. The question is why?

Read this, http://vabiz.com/d&e/wethull.html
    Last edited by redboat219; 09-29-2013, 02:27 AM.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

redboat219 (Romel) is correct in asking why? It will be tight fit in there to begin with, but maybe I am misunderstanding you. Generally there are two types of hulls, wet and dry. The wet hull will have a cylinder or box that all the equipment is kept dry in. The dry hull is sealed to prevent water from coming in.

You are using two terms here that are throwing me off. u-boats are German submarines. The Gato is a US submarine
      So if you are doing a German sub go here:

If you are building a Gato (my fav) go through this build:

Both builds are a wet hull design. There are other resources here http://support.caswellplating.com/in...x/23/rc-models
      Since this would be your first sub here is some advice I was given that helped me complete my first sub. "Crawl, Walk, Run" and finish the sub. All too often people will want to over engineer or add a bunch of accessories like torpedoes and get bogged down. Crawl first, get building, post it here, and complete your first sub. Then walk. I hope this helps.
      Welcome, glad you are here.
      Last edited by trout; 09-29-2013, 04:00 AM.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

It appears to me that you have two purposes fopr building a submarine. One to operate it as a static diver.Two, to show off the detail inside. If you do the latter, there's no way that will operate as a successful diver.
        So, why don't you do two boats, one to look at and the other to play with? That should keep you busy all winter!
        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by GatoSubfan
          Im obliviously new to the rc submarine hobby and this may be a stupid question but im am going to ask it anyway, Im starting a build on the revell 1:72 gato class U-boat and i want to build it with a dry inside much like a real U-boat would be if still in service today, All the equipment and electronics still in water tight tubs but want a dry inside, My question is, Is it possible to do this or am i just a idiot for thinking i can do this to a rc submarine. Please let me know if this is possible, Thank you :)
          It's impossible.

And you're an idiot for thinking you can do this.

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

Instead of doing a detailed interior make a diving sub with detailed deck plus a complement of 1/72 deck hands you can place onboard when the boat's on display.
            Last edited by redboat219; 09-29-2013, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• GatoSubfan
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Sep 2013

I think The reason WHY i want a dry hull is mainly cause i have a *CURSE* of wanting alot of things in my life to have a sense of reality and/or realism in them, I want my submarine to have a feeling of, I did something that satisfies my need to have it based on what a real submarine would be like, A water tight hull (dry hull).

It didn't really cross my mind of showing off how detailed the interior is, Most of who would see it in action wouldn't really care about the inside, I just wanted the water tight tubes inside to protect the equipment in case it sprung a leak. but if this is not practical i may stay away from this idea. But all in all im not really worried about the detail inside i just want a sub to have a dry hull that can dive. If its possible i want to do it that way ill make it happen lol, if not ill do it like every one else :)

Comment

• Aug 2008

Do it like everyone else does, damit!

Get cute later, after you have some run-time under your belt.

Look at Tom: he started conservatively; he got to know the ropes first. Now, he's snot-slinging crazy and doing some ground-braking work in the field.

Crawl, walk, run, sprint. Pay your dues.

M
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• GatoSubfan
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  Do it like everyone else does, damit!

Get cute later, after you have some run-time under your belt.

Look at Tom: he started conservatively; he got to know the ropes first. Now, he's snot-slinging crazy and doing some ground-braking work in the field.

Crawl, walk, run, sprint. Pay your dues.

M
                  Very true i always wanted to do a surface running uss lionfish submarine from revell would this be a good place to start?

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

Too small IMHO.

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

Very true i always wanted to do a surface running uss lionfish submarine from revell would this be a good place to start?
                      Good place to start? For making a boat, yes. Just because it is a submarine in shape the ability to dive AND rise is another feat entirely. To do that for a first boat and sticking with the Gato, Revell 1/72 scale would be the minimum. It is not the easiest build either.

Saying all that, if it was a dream to build a running USS Lionfish, then do it! We will support you. If you do not have a r/c transmitter look at the wFly radio - it is the one I use. http://www.sub-driver.com/electronic...ansmitter.html it will grow with you because you can store separate settings for the different subs (surface or diving). Because it is a not diving sub, you might have plenty of room for receiver, esc, battery, and motors. Lastly, post your build here because you may never know who else has a similar dream.
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

I think The reason WHY i want a dry hull is mainly cause i have a *CURSE* of wanting alot of things in my life to have a sense of reality and/or realism in them, I want my submarine to have a feeling of, I did something that satisfies my need to have it based on what a real submarine would be like, A water tight hull (dry hull).
                        The original was a wet hull. Just saying if you want realism. There is an outer shell (hull) and a cylinder inside that crew operated from.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Sure. Put the motor(s), battery and Mtronik ESC in the wet, bag the receiver and servos and you're good.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            It's impossible.

And you're an idiot for thinking you can do this.

M
                            What he said!
                            Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• GatoSubfan
                              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                              • Sep 2013

Do you mean too small, As in to small of model or too small of project for a beginner?
                              What do you mean exactly?

Comment

Working...