Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and expectations

Hello, and welcome to the forums at the Nautilus Drydocks, formerly Sub-driver.com!

We welcome anyone with a passion for submarines and a desire to learn and share knowledge about this fascinating hobby. Use of these forums indicates your intention to abide by our code of conduct:


1. No spam. All automated messages, advertisements, and links to competitor websites will be deleted immediately.

2. Please post in relevant sub-forums only. Messages posted in the wrong topic area will be removed and placed in the correct sub-forum by moderators.

3. Respect other users. No flaming or abusing fellow forum members. Users who continue to post inflammatory, abusive comments will be deleted from the forum after or without a warning.

4. No threats or harassment of other users will be tolerated. Any instance of threatening or harassing behavior is grounds for deletion from the forums.

5. No profanity or pornography is allowed. Posts containing adult material will be deleted.

6. No re-posting of copyrighted materials or other illegal content is allowed. Any posts containing illegal content or copyrighted materials will be deleted.
See more
See less

Revell Gato build question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Revell Gato build question

    Im obliviously new to the rc submarine hobby and this may be a stupid question but im am going to ask it anyway, Im starting a build on the revell 1:72 gato class U-boat and i want to build it with a dry inside much like a real U-boat would be if still in service today, All the equipment and electronics still in water tight tubs but want a dry inside, My question is, Is it possible to do this or am i just a idiot for thinking i can do this to a rc submarine. Please let me know if this is possible, Thank you :)

  • #2
    A watertight cylinder inside a dry hull, very much doable. The question is why?

    Read this, http://vabiz.com/d&e/wethull.html
    Last edited by redboat219; 09-29-2013, 02:27 AM.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

    Comment


    • #3
      redboat219 (Romel) is correct in asking why? It will be tight fit in there to begin with, but maybe I am misunderstanding you. Generally there are two types of hulls, wet and dry. The wet hull will have a cylinder or box that all the equipment is kept dry in. The dry hull is sealed to prevent water from coming in.

      You are using two terms here that are throwing me off. u-boats are German submarines. The Gato is a US submarine
      So if you are doing a German sub go here:
      http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...40-revell-VIIc

      If you are building a Gato (my fav) go through this build:
      http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...vell-1-72-Gato
      Both builds are a wet hull design. There are other resources here http://support.caswellplating.com/in...x/23/rc-models
      Since this would be your first sub here is some advice I was given that helped me complete my first sub. "Crawl, Walk, Run" and finish the sub. All too often people will want to over engineer or add a bunch of accessories like torpedoes and get bogged down. Crawl first, get building, post it here, and complete your first sub. Then walk. I hope this helps.
      Welcome, glad you are here.
      Last edited by trout; 09-29-2013, 04:00 AM.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

      Comment


      • #4
        It appears to me that you have two purposes fopr building a submarine. One to operate it as a static diver.Two, to show off the detail inside. If you do the latter, there's no way that will operate as a successful diver.
        So, why don't you do two boats, one to look at and the other to play with? That should keep you busy all winter!
        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GatoSubfan View Post
          Im obliviously new to the rc submarine hobby and this may be a stupid question but im am going to ask it anyway, Im starting a build on the revell 1:72 gato class U-boat and i want to build it with a dry inside much like a real U-boat would be if still in service today, All the equipment and electronics still in water tight tubs but want a dry inside, My question is, Is it possible to do this or am i just a idiot for thinking i can do this to a rc submarine. Please let me know if this is possible, Thank you :)
          It's impossible.

          And you're an idiot for thinking you can do this.

          M
          "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

          Comment


          • #6
            Instead of doing a detailed interior make a diving sub with detailed deck plus a complement of 1/72 deck hands you can place onboard when the boat's on display.
            Last edited by redboat219; 09-29-2013, 10:50 AM.
            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

            Comment


            • #7
              I think The reason WHY i want a dry hull is mainly cause i have a *CURSE* of wanting alot of things in my life to have a sense of reality and/or realism in them, I want my submarine to have a feeling of, I did something that satisfies my need to have it based on what a real submarine would be like, A water tight hull (dry hull).

              It didn't really cross my mind of showing off how detailed the interior is, Most of who would see it in action wouldn't really care about the inside, I just wanted the water tight tubes inside to protect the equipment in case it sprung a leak. but if this is not practical i may stay away from this idea. But all in all im not really worried about the detail inside i just want a sub to have a dry hull that can dive. If its possible i want to do it that way ill make it happen lol, if not ill do it like every one else :)

              Comment


              • #8
                Do it like everyone else does, damit!

                Get cute later, after you have some run-time under your belt.

                Look at Tom: he started conservatively; he got to know the ropes first. Now, he's snot-slinging crazy and doing some ground-braking work in the field.

                Crawl, walk, run, sprint. Pay your dues.

                M
                "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named View Post
                  Do it like everyone else does, damit!

                  Get cute later, after you have some run-time under your belt.

                  Look at Tom: he started conservatively; he got to know the ropes first. Now, he's snot-slinging crazy and doing some ground-braking work in the field.

                  Crawl, walk, run, sprint. Pay your dues.

                  M
                  Very true i always wanted to do a surface running uss lionfish submarine from revell would this be a good place to start?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Too small IMHO.
                    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by GatoSubfan View Post
                      Very true i always wanted to do a surface running uss lionfish submarine from revell would this be a good place to start?
                      Good place to start? For making a boat, yes. Just because it is a submarine in shape the ability to dive AND rise is another feat entirely. To do that for a first boat and sticking with the Gato, Revell 1/72 scale would be the minimum. It is not the easiest build either.

                      Saying all that, if it was a dream to build a running USS Lionfish, then do it! We will support you. If you do not have a r/c transmitter look at the wFly radio - it is the one I use. http://www.sub-driver.com/electronic...ansmitter.html it will grow with you because you can store separate settings for the different subs (surface or diving). Because it is a not diving sub, you might have plenty of room for receiver, esc, battery, and motors. Lastly, post your build here because you may never know who else has a similar dream.
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by GatoSubfan View Post
                        I think The reason WHY i want a dry hull is mainly cause i have a *CURSE* of wanting alot of things in my life to have a sense of reality and/or realism in them, I want my submarine to have a feeling of, I did something that satisfies my need to have it based on what a real submarine would be like, A water tight hull (dry hull).
                        The original was a wet hull. Just saying if you want realism. There is an outer shell (hull) and a cylinder inside that crew operated from.
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by GatoSubfan View Post
                          Very true i always wanted to do a surface running uss lionfish submarine from revell would this be a good place to start?
                          Sure. Put the motor(s), battery and Mtronik ESC in the wet, bag the receiver and servos and you're good.

                          David
                          "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named View Post
                            It's impossible.

                            And you're an idiot for thinking you can do this.

                            M
                            What he said!
                            Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Do you mean too small, As in to small of model or too small of project for a beginner?
                              What do you mean exactly?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X