X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Balancing WTC

Was watching this Korean guy building a WTC intended for a 1/144 Kilo. In the video he adjust the "locations" of the weights on the outside of the WTC to make it go down level.

Aren't you suppose to do trimming/ballasting with the WTC INSIDE the hull?
    Last edited by redboat219; 04-26-2022, 07:29 AM.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • neitosub
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Nov 2021

It could be that he wanted to show the WTC diving and surfacing by itself for the purpose of the video.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Could also be he is thinking that if the cylinder is perfectly balanced, it makes balacing the sub as a whole easier?

My guts says option 1...

Comment

• Bob Gato
        Captain
        • Feb 2019

Also...It could be that he doesn't have a hull for it yet- now he's got to go out and find a 1/144 Kilo..
        Last edited by Bob Gato; 04-27-2022, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• TuptubBuilder
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Sep 2020

Here's a solution to tiver's leaking piston balast: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:125529 (no more threads to seal)

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by TuptubBuilder
            Here's a solution to tiver's leaking piston balast: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:125529 (no more threads to seal)
            Wow.. that is cool, but I have reservations about applicability in a piston tank. The pressure against the face of the piston is pretty massive. That setup would need to be insanely tight-fitting to get adequate grip on that shaft, and constant use will wear both the bearings and shaft to the point that you'll get slippage eventually.

Comment

• TuptubBuilder
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Sep 2020

I agree that this is not the most practical solution. I think the Europeans have the best ballast system for this size cylinder (Peristaltic/bladder).Having said that, Amacoil make a commercial linear drive. The RS3-10-4 would fit inside a 2” diameter cylinder. The maximum thrust of the RS-10-4 is 22.48 lb. That would be 7.16 psi ignoring the shaft diameter. Water pressure at 10’ is 4.33 psi. So it’s doable but not worth the effort

Comment

• TuptubBuilder
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Sep 2020

Bob, after some more number crunching I completely get your point and stand corrected. Not to induce yawning but I found that the max pressure limit of a 60 ml syringe is at least 100 psi. Using a 4mm threaded rod and gear motor producing at least 5.5 oz-in, a conventionally configured piston tank could operate at a maximum depth of 50'. This is much greater than what the threadless lead screw could achieve.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by TuptubBuilder
                  Bob, after some more number crunching I completely get your point and stand corrected. Not to induce yawning but I found that the max pressure limit of a 60 ml syringe is at least 100 psi. Using a 4mm threaded rod and gear motor producing at least 5.5 oz-in, a conventionally configured piston tank could operate at a maximum depth of 50'. This is much greater than what the threadless lead screw could achieve.
                  Even I am bound to get some things right sometimes! :)

Bob

Comment

Working...