X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Finding time

This query is not for Bob Martin or David Merriman who's line of work is RC submarines and the rest who are retired but for those still working.

How do you find time to build your submarine?
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • coryhenry
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jul 2020

I try to focus on one thing at a time and do a half hour stint when I can. Sometimes I get a whole day but that is rare.

Comment

• secrtwpn
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Feb 2012

I find the time when I can find the time!

Comment

• Scott T
        Commander
        • May 2009

It may not be finding the time but the motivation. We all have a fascination with submarines and it is easy to take a break to drop in and read the webpage here.
        Maybe you need a model building buddy. Someone you check in with and they ask you about your progress. Also scheduling time might work.

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Most people have an hour or more free time per day, if not you might want to look at your work life balance.

If you spend an hour a day that amounts to roughly a full days work over a week, and few will operate productively if working continuously for seven hours. So you'll get quite a bit done.

I'd say spending less time reading forum posts and posting questions will free up quite a bit of time.

So less TV, internet and xbox equals more time on the tools.

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Subculture

So less TV, internet and xbox equals more time on the tools.

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

It's a hobby, for most of us anyway, so how you choose to spend your time in it is your choice. It's a craft though, and the only way you can progress in a craft is by practising it.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                Welcome to my underwater realm!
                • Aug 2009

Before I went at this full-time, I simply made priorities:

High Priority:
                Family
                Main job
                Subs

Take away zero value add activities like watching TV and you'll be amazed at how much extra time you get out of life. When you have priority on things, you find the time to do them.

Comment

• CC Clarke
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Aug 2020

Yours is a great question and there are many good pieces of advice put out here.

My simple answer is:

1) Prioritize: Too many things compete for our finite amount of time. Ruthlessly eliminate everything that isn't part of what's truly important to you, as you would like the junk mail you throw out without a second glance. If it doesn't affect you or your family directly, what's the point of letting it consume a second of your time? Those seconds add up. If you want to get really good at something, devote the time to learning about it, then practice, practice, practice. And when you think you're good, pass that knowledge on - you'll be amazed how much more you learn.

2) Focus: Eliminate time-consuming distractions that have no tangible benefits to goals. Make a list of how you spend an average day and you might be surprised how much time is truly wasted with nothing to show for it. Your time is the most precious thing in your life that you have control over and it's a finite resource.

3) Completion: Follow through and do what you say, you're going to do -whether to yourself or someone else. Make a conscious effort to set realistic deadlines and do everything possible to complete a task on time. If you aren't hitting deadlines, throttle your expectations or promises back a little.

These three simple words guide all the things I do, and not just for this hobby. It took me many years to learn them.

I promise, the older you get, the more time will take on an increasing significance to you.

Savor it. Jealously guard it. Spend it wisely.

Comment

• Slats
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Aug 2008

Prioritise - I walked away for 5 years - I won a scholarship opportunity for my Doctorate that included tuition - had to grab that - and make time for kids and family. Subs and ships got shelved as did the occasional golf game, movies and TV. How bad you want your sub will be weighed up against all activities but life will always be bigger.
                    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

Working...