X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

FrSky basic X20S Software updates

Care and feeding of the FrSky TANDEM X20S Radio. (Or how to keep the radio's Firmware up to date)

Easy 5 minute maintenance.

Good to do quarterly, when backing up new Model settings or installing new scripts.
    Maybe it's just a dark winter's night, you have "boat head", and it's too cold in the shop.

X20S TX Health Check
    1. Verify TX is in agreement with Latest Firmware, Bootloader, Module, SD card, Flash via ETHOS Suite
      1. Plug in USB cable from the PC to your TX
      2. Select ETHOS Suite on TX
      3. Launch ETHOS Suite on PC
    2. Backup (ALWAY's Backup!!)
      1. Select Radio X20S-Model Manager-Backup
        1. Select all but Audio, System Bitmaps, Screenshots
        2. Add Remark and select Backup button
      2. Verify Backup Zip file (IE, C:\…..\FrSky\Backups\X20S\ETHOS_YYYYMMDD-TIME.zip)
    3. Update TX to Latest Stable Release
      1. Select Radio X20S-ETHOS
        1. Select Write Outdated Components
    4. Verify TX is in Agreement with latest RF Module Firmware
      1. Ref: Updating the internal RF module firmware using ETHOS
      2. On TX, System-Info, locate and verify TD-IRSM Version. (Note: TX must have a model selected that has the RF System turned on)
      3. If not in agreement:
        1. Visit FrSky TX Download Page for the Tandem X20S and Download latest RF FIRMWARE - TD-ISRM
        2. Energize TX in Bootloader Mode (Turn on while pressing ENTER button)
        3. Attach USB Cable, load contents of TD-IRSM Zip file into SD Card x:\Firmware\TX\X20S ISRM (TD-ISRM_x.x.x.frsk and readme.txt) Note: If this directory doesn't exist, create it using File Explorer at the root of the SD card alongside AUDIO, BItMAPS, MODELS, etc.
        4. Remove cable and reboot
        5. On the TX, open System-File Explorer and search for Firmware\TX\X20S ISRM TD-ISRM_x.x.x.frsk. Select with Enter button and then select Flash Internal Module.
        6. Success! Locate and verify TD-IRSM Version in System-Info

Good to go!
    Last edited by QuarterMaster; 01-19-2024, 08:40 PM.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Hi Ed,

I have a question about the FrSKY Tandem X-18 Duel Frequency Transmitter with the TD-R10 Receiver.!

During operation and running on the surface is the receiver operating at 2.4, and then if you submerge it will switch over to the 900 system? With all your expertise, would you say the 900 system would operate any better in chlorinated water than our old standard 72 or 75 radio system?

I am considering this new 900 radio system, but have these questions. I am pretty sure Bob could answer these questions, but you are the original breakthrough guy on this system.

Thanks Ed,

Rob
    Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015

Yes, they work in Tandem, hence the name. When submerged the 900Mhz takes precedence as the RX only sees that signal. It's ALL relative regarding mineral content of the water.

We saw 4 ft at Bob's pool when it was heavily Chlorinated. My saltwater pool gets 1 foot'ish with 75Mhz.

This is your pool right? That's your primary environment if I remember correctly. You might as well stick with 75Mhz, and even 72 Mhz if you want as well since you're not out in the wild to mess with others and therefore entail low risk of being busted by the Frequency Po-po.

Yes you lose in all the flavor rich features, but you're in a pool, not like me a 100 yards away in Texas Mud with an eye on pitch, roll and the other on a distant twig's wake.

With 900Mhz taking off, those Receivers may be readily available had as the older crowd become worm food anyway. The next generation will never know the joys of begging for an available frequency flag.
      Last edited by QuarterMaster; 02-05-2024, 07:58 PM.
      v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by QuarterMaster
        Yes, they work in Tandem, hence the name. When submerged the 900Mhz takes precedence as the RX only sees that signal. It's ALL relative regarding mineral content of the water.

We saw 4 ft at Bob's pool when it was heavily Chlorinated. My saltwater pool gets 1 foot'ish with 75Mhz.

This is your pool right? That's your primary environment if I remember correctly. You might as well stick with 75Mhz, and even 72 Mhz if you want as well since you're not out in the wild to mess with others and therefore entail low risk of being busted by the Frequency Po-po.

Yes you lose in all the flavor rich features, but you're in a pool, not like me a 100 yards away in Texas Mud with an eye on pitch, roll and the other on a distant twig's wake.

With 900Mhz taking off, those Receivers may be readily available had as the older crowd become worm food anyway. The next generation will never know the joys of begging for an available frequency flag.
        Thanks Ed,

Yes, the pool is my only sub running water. I see your point about the 72 Mhz and 75 Mhz really being good enough for my submarine operations. Seeing all the operating systems you have set up on your Transmitter is so cool, I still may invest in it just to learn it, and have some fun with it.

Thank you for your honest opinion and expertise Ed!

Rob
        "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• QuarterMaster
          Rear Admiral
          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Thank you for your honest opinion and expertise Ed!
          Rob,

After I'm gone, if the only legacy I have left here amongst my shipmates is "Know your requirements (aka needs).", then I'll have served my purpose.

One does not need anymore, or any less than what they need to enjoy this peculiar hobby.

Knowing that honestly and fully will guarantee the following regardless if your just a builder, and operator, or both (like me!):

1-You don't spend more than you need to.
          2-You don't spend so little you get crap.
          3-Don't take on so much you overwhelm yourself and walk away.
          4-Take on so little you get bored and walk away.

It's those needs, YOUR needs, that count. How you build and operate YOUR boat in YOUR environment. Whether it's every other week in Texas mud, or once a year at pristine Cohutta or random jitter Groton.

Not MY needs, Not Bob's needs, not even HWMNBN needs...well maybe his.

All kidding aside, 72/75 appears to suite you just fine, the CHOICE to use anything else is just that, a desire to expand knowledge as opposed to getting something accomplished. This is a choice and not necessary to enjoy the sport.

Some other choices are...
          To fully submerge.

THAT is a choice, not (as many folk say) are requirement to enjoying the sport, which it is not. PD is an acceptable form of submergence and often the only available choice in most US environments. To say that is not an RC Submarine is an opinion, as is MY opinion that those who say it are an uniformed f***ing idiot. I have mine, they have theirs, isn't life wonderful WE ALL THINK differently!

There are times when that's a need, like sitting by your pool! Enjoying a boat sitting on the bottom 'cuz that "Floats YOUR boat". Maybe it's an ALVIN or other DSRV that I would lose site of in the mud of my environment, but in a pool at 8ft down I can test my retrieval skills with manipulator arms! Then fight for those 75Mhz Radios!! Don't settle on 900 because of what you hear, or everyone else does! Do YOU!.

2.4Ghz is not acceptable for RC Submarine operations.
          See "To fully submerge."

To hand craft or 3D build...another choice. Neither is right or wrong and anyone who says so is afraid of it, like a certain red blooded American population freaking out over Taylor Swift! Imaginer that, giving something enough creed through fear it becomes REAL lol! I laugh at the superior intellect!

BTW, 3D or hand craft, they're processes! They don't give a flying **** what you think of them.

One final example of needs and wants, Gas Torpedo's. I had plans to install them in each 1:48 Scale boat I have. Now I'm on the fence if I'm going to install them on any boat other than SHARK. Why? Because like anything else we discover after we lay late at night in bed fantasizing about all these gadgets we'll add and then take time to build, they are simply not WORTH the care and feeding of (TO ME!) to add them to the rest of my fleet.
          Your opinion may be different.

Hey I thrive on innovation, but again, it needs to be cautioned by, "Will it serve me?"

Then we have Frank Salerno to do that for us lol!

Wow, what an opinionated soapbox I can be!

I'm around if you need help with the FrSky Radios.
          Last edited by QuarterMaster; 02-06-2024, 01:06 PM.
          v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

Ed,

Your opinionated soapbox is full of wisdom and commonsense! And I for one appreciate all of it! As you and Bob have stated, I really do not need the 900 Mhz system for how I operate my submarines in a swimming pool, and I rarely use more that 5 to 6 channels and when I get right down to it 4 channels is more like it.

But I would still like to learn this new TechKnowledge and apply it to one of my boats.

Thanks again Ed! You have given me and (some others on this forum) some great food for thought.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Ed,

I have another question, and then I will stop pestering you! If I decide to purchase the 900 Mhz. system, would setting it up to use just standard 6 channel functions at first be a fairly simple process? And then as I learn more about the system get into more complicated controlling?

I am sure Bob is seeing this, so he might chime in as well.

Thanks for the information Ed!

Rob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                Welcome to my underwater realm!
                • Aug 2009

Rob,

I have a video posted on my channel showing the setup. It's not exactly simple, but it's straightforward and once you get the hang of it... kinda fun.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Sep 2015

Originally posted by rwtdiver
                  Ed,

I have another question, and then I will stop pestering you! If I decide to purchase the 900 Mhz. system, would setting it up to use just standard 6 channel functions at first be a fairly simple process? And then as I learn more about the system get into more complicated controlling?

I am sure Bob is seeing this, so he might chime in as well.

Thanks for the information Ed!

Rob
                  I just remembered you're building a Mandroid that can probably serve espresso or walk a dog and you're concerned about tech? lol!!

Teasing!

The short answer is YES.

For 6Ch 900Mhz only, have Bob quote you this.....

R9 SX

BTW, you'll do fine here. Less than a year ago Bob and I knew next to nothing about 900Mhz much less this product line. Now I'm tripping the light fantastic on this stuff. YouTube definitely is your friend. Watch those links I drop here. You'll be installing freakin' lasers on sharks in no time!

These things while daunting at first, are really easy and fun to work with, especially if you don't mind making mistakes to learn.
                  v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Ed,

Click image for larger version  Name:	R9SX 6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.7 KB ID:	178231

Not sure how familiar you are with 6 channel FrSky R9SX receiver, but I have a question about the antenna system. It shows it has two antennas. I am assuming these antennas remain INSIDE the cylinder, and do not have to be installed outside?

Rob

SPECIAL NOTE:

Ed,

I Just emailed Bob, and he confirmed that the receiver and antenna are inside the cylinder. So, I just purchased the FrSky X-18 Transmitter and the R9SX 6 channel receiver from Bob. WOW! Looking forward to this new technology! Thanks again for all you help Ed!

Rob

Last edited by rwtdiver; 02-13-2024, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Working...