Name:	239502938_1726685620856506_2595785453999740614_n.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	152517
    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”
  • JHapprich
    Captain
    • Oct 2017

Wow! Impressive! Followed the several youtube videos about the restauration.really interesting!

Comment

• Ken_NJ
      Captain
      • Sep 2014

Refit all done, back to base...

Comment

• wlambing
        Commander
        • Nov 2020

Except for the red paint that they never carried in service. It is nice to see a museum ship painted in a fairly proper camo job on the topsides! So many are painted up without regard as to being correct for the period. Example: USS Silversides, USS Torsk, USS Marlin, etc.
        Last edited by wlambing; 08-21-2021, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• Das Boot
          Rear Admiral
          • Dec 2019

Originally posted by wlambing
          Except for the red paint that they never carried in service. It is nice to see a museum ship painted in a fairly proper camo job on the topsides! So many are painted up without regard as to being correct for the period. Example: USS Silversides, USS Torsk, USS Marlin, etc.
          Could be the anti-foul red was added because the boat is going back into the water for decades. Besides, it won't be seen after she's berthed.
          Last edited by Das Boot; 08-21-2021, 04:43 PM.

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

I think that is exactly what was done. They painted black far enough down that from dockside you will not see it. My fear is people will use that as a reference to add red to their Gato/Balao subs.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Das Boot
              Rear Admiral
              • Dec 2019

Originally posted by trout
              I think that is exactly what was done. They painted black far enough down that from dockside you will not see it. My fear is people will use that as a reference to add red to their Gato/Balao subs.
              I don't think there is one RC sub that is exactly perfect. However, all RC Gatos's I've seen were black from the waterline down.

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

I have seen at least one and I believe another in Europe. While I think it is fine for someone to paint they boat any way they want, I would ant someone to do it because they just like the red bottom and not trying to be authentic. You know what I mean? I am not condemning painting red, just want people informed. There are things I did not do on my Gato that, had I known, I would have put the work in to fix it. I am speaking more to those that want to be relatively accurate, not being snobbish.
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

How in the world can striving for perfection be snobbish?!!

The world (and some of us) are bending to the wants and needs of Wok's. Absolutes know no social niceties or dictates of the moment. Things are as they are. Things don't give a **** what you or I think.

We model builders are not bothered by long-time immersion in water. Museum boats, sitting at a pier for a decade or so, are. Model builders are not burdened with the practical effects of environment, so we should not trouble ourselves with the measures taken by museum Curator's to conserve their display. As has been pointed out, The COD anti-foul red is way out of eye-sight when the boats in the water.

Now, call me a raging ass-hole if you wish, but if I see a period GATO/BALAO model with red anti-foul, I'll be the first guy screaming publicly for that author's authority to do so.

In the realm of scale modeling I don't subscribe to this, 'do whatever you want, it's your model' horse-****. If you endeavor to assemble a scale model -- a model representing a real-life prototype -- then you had better do everything you can to be faithful to the look and function of the real thing, as it existed in a fixed period of time. If this demand makes me a mean old snobbish SOB, so be it!

Do your scale models right or suffer my wrath.

Scale modeling works to standards. Observe them!

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• wlambing
                    Commander
                    • Nov 2020

Oooohhh! After viewing the video; And the BS yellow marker buoys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The curator should be horse-flogged, with a real horse!!!! And, get rid of the Cold War numbers on the sail!!!!! WWII units had plain white numbers, without black shading, if/when the numbers were painted on. The shaded numbers are 1950's!!!!!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by wlambing
                      Oooohhh! After viewing the video; And the BS yellow marker buoys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The curator should be horse-flogged, with a real horse!!!! And, get rid of the Cold War numbers on the sail!!!!! WWII units had plain white numbers, without black shading, if/when the numbers were painted on. The shaded numbers are 1950's!!!!!
                      Heads must roll! (no good deed goes unpunished). I understand and appreciate the need for the extensive use of zincs, anti-foul paint, and removal of the brass propellers -- all done to preserve the hull for the long-haul.

Buoy's and markings can easily be re-painted correctly. No excuse for not getting the paint job and markings right -- just put one of the many anal-retentive arm-chair Admirals (like any one of us 'Elites' at this forum), who excel at period research, in charge of color, font, and markings position and we could have that boat more in line with the reality of the period represented than the current painting-marking scheme.

I too am at a loss why American museum boats get such bad paint-work. Not a shot at the COD restoration team, they did the best of any museum boats I know (with the exception of NAUTILUS, which is as perfect as they could make it -- for once tax-payer money used well).

Make the changes Bill identified and the COD paint and marking scheme will be 'good enough' in my book.

David
                      Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 08-23-2021, 10:17 AM.
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Scott T
                        Commander
                        • May 2009

I think I will just call this the Museum Fleet Boat Paint Scheme Circ. 2021 !

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Scott T
                          I think I will just call this the Museum Fleet Boat Paint Scheme Circ. 2021 !
                          Yeah! Almost makes me want to purchase another kit and deck it out as the above. And it would AUTHENTIC and faithful to prototype. Just a different shade of wrong.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• BWRIGHT
                            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                            • Aug 2020

paint it pink

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by BWRIGHT
                              paint it pink