• Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
    OK..........so whats the deal here?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]30963[/ATTACH]
    Large Tesrickles?
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
      So...ye want to be a sailor do'ye.... bend over this barrel.... Arrrh..wi'a curse. (spoken in the voice of Long John Silver, with a glint in the eye and bulge elsewhere). Makes me very glad that I was in the ARMY!
      ROTFLMAO

****ing Ground-Pounder!

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
        Rear Admiral
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Kazzer
        Large Tesrickles?
        Regulus missile hangers on the Greyback on the way to be sunk in the PI after second decommissioning.

Comment

• Von Hilde
          Rear Admiral
          • Oct 2011

So...ye want to be a sailor do'ye.... bend over this barrel.... Arrrh..wi'a curse. (spoken in the voice of Long John Silver, with a glint in the eye and bulge elsewhere). Makes me very glad that I was in the ARMY!
          Only Wallace Beary talked like he thought pirates spoke. Real pirates speek like you and me. I should know since I am a registered pirate. Only in Key West is leagalised piracy still on the books. That probe on the sub's bow is a magnetic annomile detector boom. Fiberglass pole, same as on a P3 or S3 antisub aircraft.

Comment

• Von Hilde
            Rear Admiral
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
            ROTFLMAO

****ing Ground-Pounder!

M
            Thats an Army tug pulling the old Greyback. MSTS, you can tell by the yellow and blue stripes on the stack. Owend by the Navy run by the Army Corp of Engineers. bit of trivia

Comment

• HardRock
              Vice Admiral
              • Mar 2013

Floating soldiers? Sounds like the work of the devil. If God had wanted soldiers to sail he would have painted the ocean khaki

Comment

• Von Hilde
                Rear Admiral
                • Oct 2011

Floating soldiers? Sounds like the work of the devil. If God had wanted soldiers to sail he would have painted the ocean khaki
                Army spent a couple bucks on this yacht, to take all the officers fishing. I supposeClick image for larger version

Name:	TSV1X.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	98199

Here's another Army SNAFU "flying soldiers" they spent a ton of money playing with
                Click image for larger version

Name:	VZ-1.jpg
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	98200

Then one old grunt said "A movin' foxhole attracts the eye" Pop up targets, like a shooting gallery. They dropped that idea like a Prom dress. When they let the test pilot fire a M-1 from the standing position the recoil kept the guys weight on his rear foot and the machine would drift all around. From what my Dad told me (Col.US Army ret. 1942-1972 Ranger) during the live fire tests in 57, a stray round ended up in the reviewing stand.

Project CNX Several years later Bell's Jet pac came along and the Army almost jumped on the flying soldier idea again but "Shot down", as it were. With only a few minutes fuel, limited range, hands on operation It would serve only as a observation tool. Army Submarines? Hmmmm! Somewhere there is at least one, that I know of. What is being done with it, I cant really say, but its a rather large one, that I know.
                Last edited by Kazzer; 04-17-2015, 04:37 AM.

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

Actually, I have to admit to being a flying soldier - at least a retired soldier who is flying. My current steed. She's beautiful, but dangerous!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	1723507_1420565554852583_1832463049_n.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	98201

Comment

• Peter W
                    Captain
                    • May 2011

Why were the rectal thermometers in the army smaller than that one. Ha ha ha

Peter

P.S. Nice steed!
                    Last edited by Peter W; 04-14-2015, 04:01 PM. Reason: I am an idiot

Comment

• HardRock
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Mar 2013

"Never leave your mate's behind" Old Navy saying.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Oct 2011

I have a few hours dual in a 206. Most of my rotor time, in my friends R22 flying the box and hover. Fun to fly the jet ranger. First cross country was from San Luis Obispo Ca to Las Vegas to LAX and back to SLO. My instructor was " Doc" Holliday. You an A&P? Maintainance must be a PIA, and or wallet. Dangerous? lots of people survive the crash

Comment

• HardRock
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Mar 2013

Come and visit. Always a spare seat for an old fish head. She's an ex-Canadian CH-136 (a Kiowa by any other name) so her maintenance schedule is less onerous than a civil machine. Parts are a bit cheaper as well. Much easier to fly than an R-22 and the high inertia rotor makes for easy autos (and a MUCH easier recovery from tail rotor failure, stuck pedal etc). She is only dangerous in the sense that everything is manual. Overtemp the engine and you die, get the attitude screwed up - mast bump and you die, overpitch and you die, pull collective on a slope and you die, etc etc. I fly her when I can and when I can't I retreat into the bunker and fiddle with submarines. Not a bad life really!

Comment

• Von Hilde
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Oct 2011

Come and visit. Always a spare seat for an old fish head. She's an ex-Canadian CH-136 (a Kiowa by any other name) so her maintenance schedule is less onerous than a civil machine. Parts are a bit cheaper as well. Much easier to fly than an R-22 and the high inertia rotor makes for easy autos (and a MUCH easier recovery from tail rotor failure, stuck pedal etc). She is only dangerous in the sense that everything is manual. Overtemp the engine and you die, get the attitude screwed up - mast bump and you die, overpitch and you die, pull collective on a slope and you die, etc etc. I fly her when I can and when I can't I retreat into the bunker and fiddle with submarines. Not a bad life really!
                            Life is dangerous till YOU DIE! so ya better kick life in the kiester every day till it comes. No sence putty footin around. At my age Im still trying to get 3 days out of one just to stay active. I have been to New Zed, and loved every minuite they let me stay. We stopped for 5 days of R&R on the way back from "Deep Freeze 64" down at the Ross shelf at the Pole.

Comment

• bwi 971
                              Captain
                              • Jan 2015

I stumble upon this one….seems she has some damage to her sail. Don’t know her class…LA?
                              Grtz,
                              Bart

Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                              "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Looks like a Improved Los Angelos, hence no sail planes. The damaged area is ,I believe, the sonar emitter designed to read ice. The first 688I was the San Juan
                                IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

Working...