X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Davidh
    Captain
    • Nov 2010

Hi Scott,

Been out of the loop for a while, I've been watching this build, which is happening at 3 times speed of my work, and I've been accused of going fast! Completely re tooling resolution but am finding that even out of the moulds the hulls still needs lots of work. You are doing great, going to have to catch up sometime..

Dave h
    Attached Files

Comment

• HardRock
      Vice Admiral
      • Mar 2013

Hi Dave. A catch up would be good. I'm in scribing hell at the moment. Its taking me four of five goes to get anywhere near reasonable. I guess that practice is the only answer. Today's efforts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010297.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	114752

Comment

• bwi 971
        Captain
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Davidh
        which is happening at 3 times speed of my work
        Dave h
        Yeah what you say Dave....compared to Scott I'm feeling like a snale....living in an other dimension......leaving a trace of drool behind me watching his work.

Grtz,
        Captain slow
        Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
        "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• HardRock
          Vice Admiral
          • Mar 2013

New plan for the rear hatches et al.. I'm going to scribe them rather than inlay brass. Its soooo much easier to do and the end result looks better, (once its done right). So, herewith todays efforts. I've closed the gaps in the hull and begun the railings.

Name:	P1010298.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	114775Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010299.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	114776

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

OK, Hardrock.

You've learned your lesson with this project: Crap in, crap out. In other words, if the master is not perfect, you will be compelled to make corrections on each and every copy produced from the tools. A lesson DavidH is all too familiar with. He's fighting the same battle as you are.

Get the master right, and the produced parts will come out right.

I'm here to instruct. I'm a vital resource. Use me!

Do we have to go back to model-building 101 here? I'm game. Tell me your weaknesses in this game and I will instruct you on how to overcome those weaknesses.

M
            The Horrible

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
              Vice Admiral
              • Mar 2013

Keep talking...voice activated tracking has been enabled and a small (ish) shaped charge tipped missile is heading your way as an indication of my high regard for your timing. Could you have told me this BEFORE I started? I'm going to start again. This thing is giving me the ****s - its not just the scribing its the subtle variances in symetry that I keep finding.

Comment

• bwi 971
                Captain
                • Jan 2015

I had the same with mine......had to correct the stern it was oval instead of round due to finishing the masters halves separately instead of assembled together.

Not a big deal when it a one ping only model…........but you are in trouble when somebody asks you to make a copy for them….........that’s why I always say the Akula is not good enough for reproduction.

We learn and don’t make mistakes twice. We post our mistakes here openly so others can learn.

But be aware that HWSNBN will ask you to make a copy of your work….........you know you can’t give what he what’s because it’s not flawless as it should be…….........but then on the other hand you want to because he ALWAYS helps you out.

The result is that you feel really bad about it…….........and it pushes you to make your next model as close to perfection as you can.
                Well that’s the effect that it has on me.

Grtz,
                Bart
                Last edited by bwi 971; 06-13-2016, 11:51 AM.
                Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
                  Keep talking...voice activated tracking has been enabled and a small (ish) shaped charge tipped missile is heading your way as an indication of my high regard for your timing. Could you have told me this BEFORE I started? I'm going to start again. This thing is giving me the ****s - its not just the scribing its the subtle variances in symetry that I keep finding.
                  Don't you just hate unsolicited 'after-the-incident' critiques!

Yeah, too late to tell you now, but you fell down the rabbit hole during the lay-out process -- the job of translating two-dimensional documents (plans) to the three-dimensional blanks that will be formed into your finished master. And that's where I'll start: 'lay-out'. Your problem of symmetry and accuracy of part/engraved line/ transfer from drawing to work will be addressed. I'll get to it this week. May I post it to this thread?

I've engaged all anti-missile batteries, all outfitted with depleted cream-pie warheads (denser than U-238), all fused for direct hit. Game on, pal!

M
                  The Horrible

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Mar 2013

Oh no, not the cream pies! Post away.

Comment

• HardRock
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Mar 2013

Although I am not happy with the molding process (and with the many faults that I later discovered and had to fix), the end result in a "one off" submarine is really quite satisfying. I started this thing with a drawing, some foam and razor saw. Have a look at it now! Its a wonderful thing to learn new and interesting stuff.

Name:	P1010303.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	114792Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010302.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	114793

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

Wish it wasn't a one off, it is a very cool sub. You did amazing job of building this up.
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• HardRock
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Mar 2013

I can't quite believe it but she is here, sitting on my desk finished - except for the SD which I will start work on shortly. This has been instructive, but the most sage advice that I have received thus far is "garbage in, garbage out". As a "one off" she is, well, one of a kind. I remember the old line from boot camp that went, "This is my rife, there are many like it but this one is MINE". And this sub is mine; warts and all. Once I've figured out how to configure an SD that works I'm going to start again with a new (and more accurate) plug. There will be a new Piranha and you won't have to virtually rebuild the thing to make a decent sub from the hull that I supply - eventually.

Name:	P1010308.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	114835

Comment

• HardRock
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Mar 2013

Name:	P1010308.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	114837I can't quite believe it but she is here, sitting on my desk finished - except for the SD which I will start work on shortly. This has been instructive, but the most sage advice that I have received thus far is "garbage in, garbage out". As a "one off" she is, well, one of a kind. I remember the old line from boot camp that went, "This is my rife, there are many like it but this one is MINE". And this sub is mine; warts and all. Once I've figured out how to configure an SD that works I'm going to start again with a new (and more accurate) plug. There will be a new Piranha and you won't have to virtually rebuild the thing to make a decent sub from the hull that I supply - eventually.

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

What a cute baby.
                              Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• HardRock
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Mar 2013

Yep. The photograph actually doesn't do it justice. I'm really happy with the way it came out.

Comment

Working...