X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Recovering lost Subs

Wading in with a face mask and scuba tank as a last resort what can you recommend as a good means of locating/recovering a lost sub; marker bouy, marker dye, pinger/locator beacon etc.?
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • junglelord
    Banned
    • Jan 2009

Clear water...:p
    I would try to keep several items in mind when I take my subs out this summer.

Clear water that is not too deep
    ADF with failsafe
    Lipo protector with failsafe
    Other then that, I guess my brother and his scuba equipment.

Comment

• toppack
      Rear Admiral
      • Nov 2008

Yes, With most submarines it's very difficult to have an attached marker-buoy, that will detach and float, like you can with surface-ships. But it would be possible to have conning-tower loose, so it would float, with a string attached.
      I did that on my speed-boat that very often thought it was a submarine. :D

Of course the safest thing is build it with Positive flotation, so it has to be forced to dive, and it will always return to surface, but I guess that can't be called a true submarine. ;)
      Last edited by toppack; 03-07-2009, 11:59 AM.
      Rick L.
      --------------------------------------------
      * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
      Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by toppack
        But it would be possible to have conning-tower loose, so it would float, with a string attached.

Of course the safest thing is build it with Positive flotation, so it has to be forced to dive, and it will always return to surface, but I guess that can't be called a true submarine. ;)

Two points here. If the conning tower were able to float, surely it would effect the overall trim of the boat as soon as it let loose? Never put foam above the surfaced waterline, therefore the conning tower is out of bounds for this.

I like the idea of trimming the boat so that with ballast tank full of water, only the tip of the sail or the Snort is visible. Lets call that 'lower trim'. In that case, the boat should surface to that point if there is a failure etc. To make the boat dive, flood the ballast tank, engines on and dive planes down. Stop engines and the boat will surface to 'lower trim'. Blow the ballast and it will surface to correct waterline. Neat.
        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• toppack
          Rear Admiral
          • Nov 2008

Yes, now that I think about the loose tower would never work anyway, it would be coming off every time you got it below surface, unless you had a water soluble material holding it, that dissolved after a while, but that's getting way too complicated and maintenance-intensive. :rolleyes:
          Last edited by toppack; 03-07-2009, 04:24 PM.
          Rick L.
          --------------------------------------------
          * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
          Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Trimming for positive buoyancy won't help you if it gets stuck in weeds or springs a leak.

Experience has proven that the most reliable method of locating a sunken model submarine is by sound. Sods law says your boat goes down in a muddy stretch where you can't see bugger all.

Pingers are great.

Comment

• RAY
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Jan 2009

Hi Guys.

Only lost one boat,it was a surface vessel,I came up with the following.
              One thunder tigre neptune with a 0lux camera,length of tube attached to SB1 carrying a grapple made from three sea fishing hooks with a float attached,sliding fit in tube and a spool of twenty pound fishing line.

The camera was cheap on offer at maplins comes with a twenty metre cable power supply and minitor.

SB1 is tethered so not much chance of that getting lost.

Spent two days looking for my boat but I got it back.

Ray

Click image for larger version

Name:	x.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	56873

Name:	xx.JPG
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	56874

Name:	xxx.jpg
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	56875

Name:	m.jpg
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	56876

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

[QUOTE=RAY;2794]Hi Guys.

One thunder tigre neptune with a 0lux camera,length of tube attached to SB1 carrying a grapple made from three sea fishing hooks with a float attached,sliding fit in tube and a spool of twenty pound fishing line.

The camera was cheap on offer at maplins comes with a twenty metre cable power supply and minitor.

Ray

Now THAT is neat!

Did you use float to help buoy the coaxial cable? What was the maximum depth you could maneuver with the umbilical? And how was maneuverability overall with the umbilical?

Details, ******, I want details!

Well done, sir!

David,
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                  Trimming for positive buoyancy won't help you if it gets stuck in weeds or springs a leak.

Experience has proven that the most reliable method of locating a sunken model submarine is by sound. Sods law says your boat goes down in a muddy stretch where you can't see bugger all.

Pingers are great.
                  Andy, where from and how much?
                  J
                  John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                  Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• RAY
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Jan 2009

[quote=Merriman;2795]
                    Originally posted by RAY
                    Hi Guys.

Ray

Now THAT is neat!

Did you use float to help buoy the coaxial cable? What was the maximum depth you could maneuver with the umbilical? And how was maneuverability overall with the umbilical?

Details, ******, I want details!

Well done, sir!

David,
                    Hi David.

Details you shall have.my lost boat was in about twelve feet of water,I saw it go down but sods law they never go straight down hence two days to find it.

The SB1 has been called a toy by a number of modellers I prefer to call it a tool, the ready made virsion comes with poor radio fitted,if you buy the kit and good radio it costs about the same, and you know its going to work.

It will happily pull the coax without any floatation,it will also go down beyond ten metres.

You have to put a float on your grapple in case it comes off what you have attached it to,you dont want to be pulling the bottom of the lake up.
                    The camera and monitor will run continuous for at least four hours.
                    The spool of line is a standard spinning reel job that fits on a spigot, once you have hooked your boat (prop) or something just back off,it will unwind all the way back to you.

Just remove spool from SB1 fit to reel wind it in,spool of line and grapple ready to go again....KISS.

And I for got to add,I had as much fun recovering my boat as I would running it,if the navys can do it real time why not we do it,model subs are not cheap.

Ray

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thanks, Ray. Man, that's neat!

David,
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Slats
                        Andy, where from and how much?
                        J
                        Dave Forrest makes them. Not sure how much they are currently, but they're not expensive. You need to make a hydrophone too, if you haven't got one already. Dave used to supply kits for those, but no longer does so. Instead he supplies a CDROM with all the information on it.

Are you on Facebook?

Comment

• RAY
                          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                          • Jan 2009

You can make a simple hydrophone from a piezo buzzer,a pair of plastic discs and an "o" ring,you would need a pre amp and headphones,it isnt hard to make the net is full of ideas.

Ray

Comment

• redboat219
                            Admiral
                            • Dec 2008

Would be great if you can incorporate a hydrophone on the SB1. You can use it to home in on the sub even in murky waters. The grapple system would be sufficient on those WWII era boats with their railings and propeller guards but a bit useless on modern boats with their slick profiles. Here you can use a retractable loop that can be used to snag either the sail or prop.
                            Last edited by redboat219; 03-08-2009, 09:58 PM.
                            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by RAY
                              Hi Guys.

Ray

[ATTACH]701[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]702[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]703[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]704[/ATTACH]
                              I'm bumbing this back into the light. Ray Williams is a frig'n genius!

David,
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...