• RAY
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jan 2009

I am surprised at the lack of interest in the recovery of our subs

Comment

• oztruck
      Commander
      • May 2010

Hay don't stop, I'am very interested. Most of the time the water I sail in is the same as white coffee. But don't taste as good.

Comment

• RonP-UK
        Lieutenant
        • Feb 2010

A while back I was a member of Bourneville model boat club and we had a number of submariners sailing around so we devised a few simple rules that helped out enormously when the unthinkable happened. If a guy was in difficulty the nearest boat to him would pull up along side and wait there while waiders were donned. If the boat started to sink the working boat would submerge along side him and wait on the bottom until help arrived, he would then surface to give a pinpoint position for rescue. I know this would be of no help in every situation but its food for thought if you have a buddy nearby.

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Details of the hydrophone circuit have been published here- http://www.theassociationofmodelsubm...es-t26.htm#260

You will need some basic electronics knowledge to make sense of it, but most people should be okay if they follow the instructions carefully.

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

I thankfully have been fortunate to only have a couple of occasions I have had to go looking for a sub in blue water conditions.
            The best practical low tech gear you can take to the lake is a snorkel, flippers, mask, and waterproof torch - all SOP gear I take everywhere.
            That said my recently departed Golden Retriever on both occasions located the sub before I did and would bark and tread water over the precise location. This mate of mine, was active at the lake right up until early this year when with all the test torpedos I fired he'd return them to my feet.
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
            Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by RonP-UK
              A while back I was a member of Bourneville model boat club and we had a number of submariners sailing around so we devised a few simple rules that helped out enormously when the unthinkable happened. If a guy was in difficulty the nearest boat to him would pull up along side and wait there while waders were donned. If the boat started to sink the working boat would submerge along side him and wait on the bottom until help arrived, he would then surface to give a pinpoint position for rescue. I know this would be of no help in every situation but its food for thought if you have a buddy nearby.
              Good grief Ron. Waders? What a bunch of wimps! Get in there and get your tackle wet for cripes sake. A bit more shrinkage due to cold water isn't going to make bit of difference at your age!
              Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Tugfan
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Nov 2010

I've heard of people who lost boats but the place they lost them were in city owned ponds. The problem was regulations would not allow them into the pond even with scuba gear because of insurance liability. Some had to sneak in after dark and risked being arrested, but what the hell, they were going after a lot of money invested.

Comment

• Tugfan
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Kazzer
                  Good grief Ron. Waders? What a bunch of wimps! Get in there and get your tackle wet for cripes sake. A bit more shrinkage due to cold water isn't going to make bit of difference at your age!
                  Has anyone besides me wondered if Caswell and Merriman are the same person? They both have the same style and manner in their posts. Hummmmmmm.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    • Aug 2008

I'm much better looking than Mr. Caswell. Nicer too.

David,
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Tugfan
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Merriman
                      I'm much better looking than Mr. Caswell. Nicer too.

David,
                      Never met him but I have you. Nicer? Holy crap. Caswell must be a demon from hell. ;)

Comment

• Kazzer
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Tugfan
                        Never met him but I have you. Nicer? Holy crap. Caswell must be a demon from hell. ;)
                        Listen pal! it's MR. Caswell to you!
                        Last edited by Kazzer; 12-01-2010, 05:25 AM.
                        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• RAY
                          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                          • Jan 2009

Well Mr Caswell, (Kazzer) The gauntlet is now being thrown down before we go off topic,Why dont you develope some recovery gismos for the Neptune,after all Mine works and I am only a Mortal

Ray

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

I'll wager that very few people would invest in a recovery system, certainly not enough to warrant the time and labour required to perfect such a system for sale to the great unwashed.

The problem with such systems has always been that it's difficult to make a 'one-size-fits-all' gadget.

As such the 'pinger' and hydrophone system is definitely damn close, and I think this would be a seller, but it needs to be made smaller.

But, bottom line- how many want one?

Comment

• Slats
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                              I'll wager that very few people would invest in a recovery system, certainly not enough to warrant the time and labour required to perfect such a system for sale to the great unwashed.

The problem with such systems has always been that it's difficult to make a 'one-size-fits-all' gadget.

As such the 'pinger' and hydrophone system is definitely damn close, and I think this would be a seller, but it needs to be made smaller.

But, bottom line- how many want one?
                              -My investment - snorkel, fins, dive mask, H20 proof torch.
                              I'll be getting another Golden Retriever in a couple of years and train that pooch up like my old boy.

Andy - can you repost the pinger / hydrophone link please? yeah I can remember it being large.
                              A friend who flies gliders has a pinger locater on board as he operates off a cliff area with vegetation everywhere below. The pinger goes off on loss of signal and helps locate the craft if it goes into the thick scrub. I am thinking this device must be small given how fanatical he is about saving weight.

J
                              John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                              Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Subculture
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

http://www.theassociationofmodelsubm...es-t26.htm#260

This is just the hydrophone and amplifier. The pinger is only available to AMS members, however I can tell you that these are relatively straightforward devices, consisting of a PIC chip (microcontroller) driving a small piezo transducer with a couple of button cells. The whole kit and caboodle is mounted inside a small watertight chamber (modified plumbing fittings) and dumped in the wet area of the boat.

It makes a little sweeping 'whoop, whoop' noise which is very distinctive.

Mask and flippers is all very well in a clear lake, but with some of the pea soups that some folk sail in, that wouldn't be much use, torch or no torch.

Comment

Working...