• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by neitosub
    Hi Rob,

Out of curiosity, is the brass tube glued to the antenna? I wonder what its purpose is.

Nate

Nate,

The antenna wire itself is soldered to the brass tube right at the top and that is it. Romel (redboat219) has link that is very interesting. I also checked in with David M. and he said to just do the coaxial cable the way he has the photo laid out, and that is the way i will do mine.

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by neitosub
      Hi Rob,

Out of curiosity, is the brass tube glued to the antenna? I wonder what its purpose is.

Nate

Folks,

I hate to sound like one of those bleeding deacon know it all's, but I've been doing it for 6 years now.

IF you don't have an IPx connector on your RX, you're going to want to pig tail the RX side with a male/female SMB connector.

It's not a matter of if, but when the antenna gets damaged and needs replacement. The skin on that RG178 is THIN.

Unless of course you LIKE soldering to your receiver board on occasion!

I took a hit in the Antenna mast that was hidden in an Aluminum tube from a careless driver which bent said tube perforating the skin. Capillary action and water ingress into the dry hull ended the day.

Don't reinvent the wheel.

Read my article here, which was meant as an addition to Dave's original article that gave us 2.4ghz.

2.4GHz for the RC Submariner….the next step.

Ed
      v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

Folks,

I hate to sound like one of those bleeding deacon know it all's, but I've been doing it for 6 years now.

IF you don't have an IPx connector on your RX, you're going to want to pig tail the RX side with a male/female SMB connector.

It's not a matter of if, but when the antenna gets damaged and needs replacement. The skin on that RG178 is THIN.

Unless of course you LIKE soldering to your receiver board on occasion!

I took a hit in the Antenna mast that was hidden in an Aluminum tube from a careless driver which bent said tube perforating the skin. Capillary action and water ingress into the dry hull ended the day.

Don't reinvent the wheel.

Read my article here, which was meant as an addition to Dave's original article that gave us 2.4ghz.

2.4GHz for the RC Submariner….the next step.

Ed
        Ed,

Thank you very much for your input and knowledge on this subject matter. Especially your link! Very interesting reading.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

Last night I spent time soldering my new RG178 Coazial Cable to my Fly Sky FS-R6B 2.4 MHz Receiver.

I am here to say that everything seems to have gone well!

https://youtu.be/JDlndXIAv3I

My video show the system in operation with a servo attached.

Rob

​​​​​​​

Comment

Working...