Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Why not buy a built pontoon, decorate it with a bamboo deck, and add your motor.
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

You lot are nuts!

(And my missus thought I was crazy!) Talk about working a problem to death when there is none.

On the Le River ( out of Yangshou) there are hundreds of these plastic pipe rafts, plying thousands of tourists up and down the river every day. If bamboo was cheaper, ( and there was TONS of it all along the river banks - all free) they'd be hacking it down and building their rafts from it.

They aren't using bamboo! Now whatever the 'edge' plastic has over bamboo, the Chinese have figured it out, and are making money (lots) from it.

I didn't see any rafts falling apart, people drowning by the dozen, **** happening, or any other problems. My money is on The Chinese! You lot can pontificate all you like, but I'm going with plastic pipes and a longtail motor! Now bugger off and leave me alone! :biggrin:
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Ding!

And the round gos to the mob.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• alad61
          Commander
          • Jan 2012

I'd go the plastic pipe as it is much easier to work with than bamboo. And there are uv stabilised product out there in the stuff. Also if you prime it with a 2 pack epoxy and then a recoatable 2 pack polyurethane, like what's used in the gas n oil industries you'll have a light durable uv resistant multi functional utilty raft...The Titanic

Just a thought...
          Last edited by alad61; 01-10-2013, 01:22 AM.
          Cheers,
          Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
          But to dream is a reality

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

Why not use 55 gallon plastic barrels. Make a platform out of 2 x 4s and lash some barrels underneath.
            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• herrmill
              Commander
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Kazzer
              You lot are nuts!

On the Le River ( out of Yangshou)
              In putanghua, the 'i" is pronounced "e" so the correct spelling would be Li River or in pinyin, Lí Jiāng, or more even appropriately, 漓江.

Originally posted by Kazzer
              ... there are hundreds of these plastic pipe rafts, plying thousands of tourists up and down the river every day. If bamboo was cheaper, ( and there was TONS of it all along the river banks - all free) they'd be hacking it down and building their rafts from it.
              Wow, my how the times have changed. It was bamboo all the way when I was last down there a few years ago- never saw a plastic pipe raft. This place really is turning to ****e!

Comment

• herrmill
                Commander
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
                Why not use 55 gallon plastic barrels. Make a platform out of 2 x 4s and lash some barrels underneath.
                Mike's not making some redneck raft from the Philippines... Jeeze! This is gonna be an honest-to-goodness, genuine red commie Chinese plastic bambooesque raft with a Thai-style longboat drive strapped on the back of it.

I still think that solar powered lolly cooler would look perfect on the bow. Sort of like a figurehead.

And don't forget your coolie hat, cormorant & lantern!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mike on the Lijiang.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	75726
                Last edited by herrmill; 01-10-2013, 03:19 AM.

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

and decorate it with pink flamingos! your neighbors will LOVE you!
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Slats
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    Ding!

And the round gos to the mob.
                    Personally I'm just in this thread for the purposes of getting material.
                    John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Aug 2008

Mike is right boys - plastic rafts

J
                      John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Aug 2008

In fact here is Mike's trip

Mike and Carol Caswell did their world tour of a lifetime to China with the aid of The Marco Polo Company and this river raft trip was one of the highlights....

Mike you could always go the Top Gear way - see 2.00mins on.
                        Part two of two. Clarkson, May and Hammond are challenged to convert their hard working motorbikes into amphibious machines, and find a bar in the middle of ...

J
                        Last edited by Slats; 01-10-2013, 07:28 AM.
                        John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• herrmill
                          Commander
                          • Dec 2008

Never doubted they were plastic & after seeing that their raft trip was the motorized group tourist segment on the main river & not one of the more scenic tributaries, I'm not surprised. If you went on the smaller river beside Yangzhou, you'd be on bamboo rafts with a pole, not motor, running the rapids like this.

Name:	Lijiang 2.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	75727

Name:	Lijiang.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	75728

Comment

• Kazzer
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Slats

Mike you could always go the Top Gear way - see 2.00mins on.
                            Part two of two. Clarkson, May and Hammond are challenged to convert their hard working motorbikes into amphibious machines, and find a bar in the middle of ...

J

Wonderful!

I love the paddle steamer conversion! The swan thing was a bit much for the Erie Canal!

Comment

• Kazzer
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
                              That is So working class! Barrels indeed! We need culture here in Upstate NY!

Comment

• Kazzer
                                • Aug 2008

Oh! Dear!

I couldn't help it!

Comment

Working...