Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Scott T
    I have only spent a few minutes on the controls of a borrowed sub. So let these
    coments go if they are not worth anything.
    Could you adjust your trim sliders on your radio at critical speed to give the
    dive plane some rise to compensate for the diving? Like trim wheel controls on an airplane.

Drop a fishing weight in the stern to make it tail heavy to start with and see if there
    is any change.

And just for fun maybe its like a B-52 bomber and flys nose low-tail high.
    :pop
    Tell me what your experience was with that boat you drove ... I assume it was a 32nd Parallel Type-23? How easy/hard was it to drive when submerged?

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ffr2608
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Oct 2009

Mine ran great using the bow planes for control and the stern with an angle keeper with no override control.

D

Comment

• Scott T
        Commander
        • May 2009

No experience driving a Type-23 so I will respecfully keep quiet.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by ffr2608
          Mine ran great using the bow planes for control and the stern with an angle keeper with no override control.

D
          Thanks. I'm doing something horribly wrong here. Just gotta find it.

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Scott T
            No experience driving a Type-23 so I will respecfully keep quiet.
            No, no. You're a good hand. Your input is always appreciated, Scott.

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• goshawk823
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Oct 2010

David- have you tried adding some weight to the bow area where your torpedo system would go, and seeing how it behaves with that extra (approximate) weight in the bow?
              -Sam

Comment

• Aug 2008

Currently there is a ridiculous amount of weight forward to get the c.g. a bit forward of the hulls half-way point. So, yes. I've done that. To no good effect. Keep swinging, Sam. The answer's out there!

M
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Since the leveller has been replaced (assuming with a known good one) and you have played with weights, what else is there? Wiring, electrical short? Surging power? Signal getting lost and fail safe kicking in? Front plans are not aligned with aft planes?
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                    Since the leveller has been replaced (assuming with a known good one) and you have played with weights, what else is there? Wiring, electrical short? Surging power? Signal getting lost and fail safe kicking in? Front plans are not aligned with aft planes?
                    Beats me, pal. I've put it away to get to the production work again -- many unfilled PO's and parts I have to get out to long waiting customers.

M
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                      Detail Nut of the First Order
                      • Sep 2010

David,

I think Tom has a point about loosing signal underwater, you can do a simple range test, get her submerged and leave her hanging neutral at the scope, then walk away with the transmittor, leave a observer or yourself behind to see what happens with your divingplanes.
                      Or program your divingplanes to stay neutral when having signal loss, the sternplanes won't be the problem because your adf will always profide a signal, i wonder what happens with your bowplanes.

Manfred.
                      I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Nope. The boat is getting the signal at all times. Checked that first. Something els, something weird, is going on I have not figured out yet.

M
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Warpatroller
                          Lieutenant
                          • Dec 2012

Wow, still having issues with the Bronco! It can't be the hull design (I would be shocked if that was the cause). It sounds now like it is going into an uncontrollable dive once it reaches a certain velocity, as opposed to your earlier reported porpoising action. Is this critical velocity, which causes the dive, considerably faster than a correct scale velocity for the model?

I have that infamous 32nd P 23 kit. Unfortunately mine is not assembled and I've therefore never had it in the water. I've just been told many times over by people who have had stick time with them in the water, how well that model is supposed to run. Simon included two large metal ballast weights to be installed on the bottom of the hull (on the exterior of the hull bottom).

I have got the torpedo door mechanism schematics scanned (finally got around to it). I have a lot on my plate right now and have had to put RC sub stuff on the back burner. I will get the scans posted in the not-too-distant future. Looks like the tube door stuff is premature at this time anyway. The auto crash dive condition needs to be rectified first.

If it were my boat, I would disconnect that pitch controller. Lock both stern and bow planes. Trim the boat so it's level when submerged. Then run the thing from zero to the desired max velocity and observe the hull's attitude. If it still nose dived, I would deflect the stern planes with their trailing edges facing upward, incrementing their pitch until the nose stops dipping down. If the deflection required to level the boat is extreme, then there is something seriously wrong somewhere that is disrupting the flow of water over the hull or a problem with fore-aft weight distribution. But what do I know? Nothing compared to David really. But I still try to help out.

Another stab in the dark might be to try a different propeller. A standard three-bladed prop maybe that you have laying around that's known to work well. Maybe there is something weird about that propeller's thrust after attempting to make it more scale like in appearance.

The additional fins forward of the planes (front & rear) were simply plane guards on the real boat. They were not stabilizers. My 32P plane guards are not perfectly straight.. Their surface area is relatively small, also, as David mentioned.

David, I never did receive any fittings kit from you in the mail. Hopefully you just haven't sent it out yet. Just keep it there at your shop until you get all this worked out with the Bronco. I am in no hurry to receive the fittings kit, so it is obviously not a priority in the least.

Steve
                          "Wir kommen ihnen unbekannt."

Comment

• GNuge
                            Ensign
                            • Jan 2012

Sir,
                            Is it possible that the water ingested by the open shutter doors is being expelled out of the stern free flood holes on the bottom of the boat thus causing the stern to rise when at full speed?

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

That is an excellent thought in my mind.
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• goshawk823
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Oct 2010

Easy enough for David to test. Slap some masking tape over the shutter door openings and try it again...sam

Comment

Working...