X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Das Boot
    Rear Admiral
    • Dec 2019

Hey Bob

If Georgia happens again next year, recruit someone to give a lecture and on site demo of 3D printing. I’m so behind the learning curve on this, it makes Morse code look like child’s play, and I know code.
    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Das Boot
    If Georgia happens again next year, recruit someone to give a lecture and on site demo of 3D printing. I’m so behind the learning curve on this, it makes Morse code look like child’s play, and I know code.
    Casey,

Have you purchased a printer yet? And if so what did you buy?

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• Das Boot
      Rear Admiral
      • Dec 2019

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Casey,

Have you purchased a printer yet? And if so what did you buy?

Rob
      Not yet. I can’t find one with decent ratings.

Comment

• biggsgolf
        Captain
        • Jan 2020

Prusa is amazing, close to 50 prints, zero issues!

Comment

• biggsgolf
          Captain
          • Jan 2020

and their slicer is gravy!

Comment

• bwi 971
            Captain
            • Jan 2015

I can confirm the prusa is a plug and play printer....insert the SD card and your off.....no worries about bed leveling and failing components.
            Specialy the updated version of the slicer is crazy good with amaizing possibilities.
            Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
            "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Das Boot
              Rear Admiral
              • Dec 2019

What’s the model number? The one I see on Amazon is 2100 bucks. Meh.

Comment

• biggsgolf
                Captain
                • Jan 2020

Go to their website

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Casey,

I have built over 20 3D printed submarines. I have the Dremel 3D40 PLA model (1,400.00 dollar range) I know Bob Martin has the Dremel 3D45 (more money) his has a heated bed for using ABS and other types filaments. My boats and other printing work is all PLA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA BOAT FINISHED 2.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	174565 Click image for larger version

Name:	Alfa Boats.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	174566

Other works below.

Name:	INMOOV 49.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	174567 Click image for larger version

Name:	INMOOV 99.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	174568

I use simplify 3D and SD cards. The Dremel is a piece of cake to use..

Rob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                    Welcome to my underwater realm!
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Das Boot
                    Absolutely, but you want to wait a year to learn!?

Comment

• TuptubBuilder
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Sep 2020

I don't know your location but may I suggest attending a 3D Printer Expo. Or possibly a group could be organized.

Comment

• Albacore 569
                        Commander
                        • Sep 2020

Does this Dremel printer work with a Wi Fi wireless connection? Can I design and program in office upstairs an send the instructions and work to the printer down in the garage? I read the amazon description of the Dremel 3D45 and it doesnt mention any WiFi. Or being 'digital dunce' is the Wi FI just a given and all have? ****es me off they tell you everything but what you need ot know, Not Intuitive. Like my cell phone gives me useless stuff like the weather on Mars, but how do I edit an address in my phones contact list. You know important stuff!

The size of the parts seem very small. The table seems tiny. You print all the parts small then and glue it all together?

Thank you for any answers. I have several very cool small sub designs I'd love ot print up. But not sure its worth the cost to buy just for one or two small models. Unless another could print for me.

Steve
                        Last edited by Albacore 569; 10-05-2023, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• Marylandradiosailor
                          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                          • Nov 2021

Would certainly recommend you consider:

Name:	image.png
Views:	135
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	174589

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Albacore 569
                            Does this Dremel printer work with a Wi Fi wireless connection? Can I design and program in office upstairs an send the instructions and work to the printer down in the garage? I read the amazon description of the Dremel 3D45 and it doesnt mention any WiFi. Or being 'digital dunce' is the Wi FI just a given and all have? ****es me off they tell you everything but what you need ot know, Not Intuitive. Like my cell phone gives me useless stuff like the weather on Mars, but how do I edit an address in my phones contact list. You know important stuff!

The size of the parts seem very small. The table seems tiny. You print all the parts small then and glue it all together?

Thank you for any answers. I have several very cool small sub designs I'd love ot print up. But not sure its worth the cost to buy just for one or two small models. Unless another could print for me.

Steve
                            Steve,

Here is a little information on the new Dremel Digilab 3D40 as per Wi Fi operation.

Connecting to Wifi | Dremel

As far as it's capabilities to size of submarines it can build, it depends on the STL files. 90% of my builds have come from Nautilus Drydocks files. Anytime I have wanted anything larger I just have to keep in mind the bed size. The slicer I use is Simplify 3D and it has the capability to slice parts into two pieces if need be. All my subs are in the 1:92 to 1:72 Scale. It does everything I need or want a printer to do.

Name:	INMOOV 42.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	174591 Click image for larger version

Name:	INMOOV 105.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	174592
                            (This is the Robot, but not me in the photo)

I have taken on the building of a FULL scale humanoid robot with over 800 separate parts with my 3D40 Dremel, and it's doing great.. All I can say is the Dremel I have has worked flawlessly for years, and is very simple to use. The market today is full of new machines that may or may not be more capable than the Dremel line, and in some cases much less money.

I also have the new smaller "FlashForge" printer ($400.00) another great printer, and it is fully capable of using WIFI if that is your preference. It looks to me that you have a lot of research to do Steve! :-)

Rob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                              Welcome to my underwater realm!
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Albacore 569

Steve
                              I'm running two 3D45 units. They're absolutely bulletproof, designed for commercial printing. You can slice and upload all files from the Dremel online dashboard. I can queue up prints from across the globe and have them start back home, watching progress on the integrated video cameras. Highly recommended, but not cheap.

Comment

Working...