Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

I think Skip's personal models featured custom built lexan wtc's with piston tanks.

Comment

• MattCAD
      Ensign
      • Mar 2013

from the Archives- Skip's personal boats (Albacore & Marlin) shared a WTC. From the 2012 Carmel Run as I recall

Comment

• Das Boot
        Rear Admiral
        • Dec 2019

Guess I stand corrected. I could have sworn they had the original ballast. Wish I could find the pictures I took. I met Dave Merriman for the first time there. I think it was 2000. I brought a Thor Permit that I had built. Ended up selling it.
        Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• MattCAD
          Ensign
          • Mar 2013

Nope, your memory is better than mine. 2005, 1st Carmel shindig, Marlin has kit-supplied guts.
          Ribbon of Shame stapled to my forehead.

Comment

• Das Boot
            Rear Admiral
            • Dec 2019

Well, I was off on the date.
            Last edited by Das Boot; 08-04-2023, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• Albacore 569
              Commander
              • Sep 2020

Originally posted by RCSubGuy

I'd never go with the original components. This is for a customer who has no email, no computer, and corresponds via phone and (gasp!) paper letters! He got one of these kits at a swap sale and has no idea how it is supposed to work. Grabbing these instructions as a favor to him.

Bob
              Paper letters? I know...I hear ya. As Scotty might say 'a keyboard? How quaint...lol'

In my old Albacore, I vacuformed a slightly modified (increased volume) of Ballast tank way back then. With the original tank, the boat rode too low in the water at surface trim. I have the hard dental stone pattern master for it in my shop still. You vaculform and glue together the two hemispheres and use the slightly longer one...about 1/4 inch longer. But this is all really just academic. I urge you to replace Skip Asay's systems with a much more current WTC from Nauitus Drydocks instead. The Asay design worked reliably I admit (knock on wood) so never had a casualty, but things have evolved a lot better since.

It was a good handling model (mine was in the later phase 2 configuration (Skipjack style cruciform stern planes - no bow planes the defult config of this kit). With its hull of revolution shape how could it not handle well. So its a good newbee 'training sub. Bow planes could be made for the model but at te expense of sone weight and perhaps a even slightly larger ballast tank to maintain trim ..But the bow planes are very unnecessary.

These planes where unique like the sub was. The bow planes were are on the ends of 45 degree canted arms. they rotated up in folded position with the trailing edge of the bow planes forward! They rotated around to rig out with the 45 degree bend in folded out position out horizontally and leading edge of bow planes in mormal leading edge in front position. to move the planes operationally, the planes man operator slightly varied the fold function a little forward ot back in effect for up or down forces..

After tests in Phase 1 and the first half of the Phase 2 regime, they were decarded - really were so unnecessary.. The model is better without them and with a new more modern WTC system.
              Last edited by Albacore 569; 08-05-2023, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                Welcome to my underwater realm!
                • Aug 2009

I'll have two Subtech Albacores for sale soon if anyone is interested.

Comment

• Das Boot
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Dec 2019

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
                  I'll have two Subtech Albacores for sale soon if anyone is interested.
                  Save them for the Subfest.

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230806_123441_Chrome.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	172756

External power cables?
                    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

Originally posted by redboat219
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230806_123441_Chrome.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	172756

External power cables?
                      Before the idea of a tube for cables inside the cylinder.

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Wouldn’t be able to run any cables internally with a piston tank sized to the wtc

Comment

• Das Boot
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Dec 2019

Read what I said.
                          Last edited by Das Boot; 08-06-2023, 08:55 PM.

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

I did, but I don't understand it.

Comment

Working...