X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

SubTech Albacore - PDF Instructions?

I have a customer who got a hold of one of Skip's old Albacore kits. Does anyone happen to have a scan of the instructions I could pass along to him?
  • Albacore 569
    Commander
    • Sep 2020

Hi Bob,

I will look in my files in the shop. I did the original basswood hull master for the kit ages ago & shipped it all to Skip Asay. I think he built me a turn key model as payment for the masters & I detailed mine to look as the Phase II configuration..

Only regret is the hull master dimensions failed to allow for the thickness of the vacu-formed plastic as he used as a pattern. It was as Skip requested to 1/60 scale, but it tuned out a tiny bit larger to the molded plastic used.

Also thought the ballast tank size skip used was a little too small and I made a master for a new ballast tank pattern (two hemispheres). you glued together I used in my model and it operated & looked better in surface trim . I still have the ballast tank mold pattern for that. Your welcome to have Bob if any use to you. The ballast tank is molded the same as the hull was. I have mine in the shop an shes a good boat.

Thank you Skip, rest in peace.

Steven
    Last edited by Albacore 569; 06-26-2023, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      • Aug 2009

Thanks, all! I'm all hooked up and ready to go. Appreciate the help.

Comment

• Das Boot
        Rear Admiral
        • Dec 2019

This could help.
        Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Recommend never using the kit supplied, vacuformed WTC (or, as I dubbed it ... to Skip's horror... the Sink-o'-Matic). Put a proper SubDriver in there, Bob!
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
            Rear Admiral
            • Dec 2019

Originally posted by dikorr
            The patientnotebook offers patients the opportunity to manage their healthcare records and payments by receiving electronic communications and statements.
            Spammer be gone.
            Last edited by Das Boot; 08-03-2023, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Das Boot

What in the hell are you talking’s about? This is your second post that makes no sense.
              Spam. I gave him a spanking. Bob will likely boot him.
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
                Rear Admiral
                • Dec 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Spam. I gave him a spanking. Bob will likely boot him.
                I figured as much.

Comment

• Albacore 569
                  Commander
                  • Sep 2020

Sorry Bob, No instructions found.

Comment

• Albacore 569
                    Commander
                    • Sep 2020

Click image for larger version  Name:	S8PeEDv.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.0 KB ID:	171913
                    Recommend never using the kit supplied, vacuformed WTC (or, as I dubbed it ... to Skip's horror... the Sink-o'-Matic). Put a proper SubDriver in there, Bob!
                    I
                    I agree with Dave. I used Skip's system since he provided the boat as a turn key. And it worked adequately after I lengthened the Kits Ballast tank by a 1/2in providing the needed internal volume. But I think ideally a WTC is best way in my inexperienced humble opinion. I will say I never had a casualty operating the model using skips set up, But a WTC is the best way.

I like to someday convert her to a WTC and to a contra rotating prop Phase IV. arrangement.

Steven
                    Last edited by Albacore 569; 06-28-2023, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• redboat219
                      Admiral
                      • Dec 2008

Steven, do you have a photo of the spherical ballast tank you mentioned?
                      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                        • Aug 2009

I'd never go with the original components. This is for a customer who has no email, no computer, and corresponds via phone and (gasp!) paper letters! He got one of these kits at a swap sale and has no idea how it is supposed to work. Grabbing these instructions as a favor to him.

Bob

Comment

• subcom117
                          Ensign
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
                          I have a customer who got a hold of one of Skip's old Albacore kits. Does anyone happen to have a scan of the instructions I could pass along to him?
                          Bob, I have sent to you via email a scanned copy of the Albacore Kit Instructions. The forum software says the file is too large to post here in the forum.
                          Tim

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

The only Subtech boat I’ve seen here in the UK, was a Marlin. It had the standard equipment, which seemed to work just fine, although the owner didn’t visit the deep end of the pool he was sailing it in. I’m guessing the main issue would have been with the large equatorial seal and perhaps some flexing of the joint if operating deep, or some questionable construction quality by various owners.

Comment

• Das Boot
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Dec 2019

I ran Skips Marlin in Carmel many moons ago. It had the original ballast tank, and it ran flawlessly. Skip even gave my young kids the stick and walked away. Don’t know if it was modified or not, but it couldn’t be any worse than the Type XXIII I built from 32nd Parallel. You almost had to blast to remove and replace that leak prone junker.

Comment

Working...