New guy, mid life crisis, time for a submarine…

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scrappy
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jun 2023

New guy, mid life crisis, time for a submarine…

Hey everyone, new to the forum. Long time radio control hobbyist. I have always admired the effort and details that go into a submarine build. It is time to try it for myself!
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Scrappy
    Hey everyone, new to the forum. Long time radio control hobbyist. I have always admired the effort and details that go into a submarine build. It is time to try it for myself!
    Better to have an affair with 3 different, very jealous lovers. Less stress. (But not as rewarding)

Welcome to RC Submarine School.

"Sub" Ed
    Last edited by QuarterMaster; 06-25-2023, 09:42 AM.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

Welcome aboard.

Where are you at in this journey? Have you identified the subject of your boat?

Comment

• Scrappy
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Jun 2023

I really would like to build a submersible like Alvin.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

I really would like to build a submersible like Alvin.
          Marc Dantonio is your man.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	386
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	171839

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Scrappy
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Jun 2023

I reached out to FX models, but they don’t have any kits available at this time.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I reached out to FX models, but they don’t have any kits available at this time.
              Time to break out the tool kit and make your own then.

Noth'n to it!

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Scrappy
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Jun 2023

That is the plan, I will make a foam model and fiberglass it if I can’t find a kit

Comment

• Aug 2008

That is the plan, I will make a foam model and fiberglass it if I can’t find a kit
                  Good man. We're here as required.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Scrappy
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Jun 2023

I would like it to be static diving. I have been looking into water tight compartments and what not. Is there a preferred buoyancy method? Battery type? Brushless or brushed motors? Also what is the common radio type? All my ground vehicles are spektrum and my air models are Jeti Duplex.

Comment

• redboat219
                      Admiral
                      • Dec 2008

Explore the deep with your very own ALVIN deep sea exploration vehicle thanks to these files done in conjunction with Randy Sanders. At this scale, the hulll will print out to an assebled 455mm/18" in length (not including lights or appendages), and with a 180mm/7" beam. Due to the short nature of the hull, standard watertight cylinders are not suitable for conversion of the kit to RC control, though doing so is very doable with some creativity in the use of watertight boxes or compartments. For the most part, everything goes together very intuitively and the fit is very good. You shouldn’t have any problems with getting the hull together. Please use the supplied reference screen captures to identify part placements.The boat is steered through the use of a swiveling propeller assembly. As you’ll see when you print the rearmost hull section, there is a slot for the driveshaft to move within. The entire rear shroud, prop and rudder all swivel together, so a universal joint with its pivot placed at the rudder swivel point is necessary.The hatch of the Alvin in this configuration was made from clear acrylic, and you’ll need to source some of the appropriate thickness in order to create that part.If you’d like to see a completed ALVIN model for RC in a larger scale, please feel free to check out my YouTube video where you can see how the boat is laid out, where everything goes, and how that one was converted to RC use (NOTE that this was a much larger boat and the components are not suitable for this smaller model. I reference the video simply to inspire, not instruct)

https://www.rc-submarine.com/single-post/2017/03/15/my-good-buddy-alvin

https://youtu.be/fLj8GDf-ynU
                      Last edited by redboat219; 06-26-2023, 01:52 AM.
                      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Alvin too advanced for the beginner to subs, best left for two or three sub models in.

Go for something that you can easily transport, with a single screw and simple functions, but handles well in the water. Don't discount dynamic diving, they give you nine tenths of the fun for one tenth of the headaches and maintenance.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                          Alvin too advanced for the beginner to subs, best left for two or three sub models in.

Go for something that you can easily transport, with a single screw and simple functions, but handles well in the water. Don't discount dynamic diving, they give you nine tenths of the fun for one tenth of the headaches and maintenance.
                          All good points there.

Start with an r/c conversion of the 1/72 SKIPJACK kit and one of Bob's cylinders is my recommendation.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Scrappy
                            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                            • Jun 2023

I can appreciate the advice, but I am really stubborn.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I can appreciate the advice, but I am really stubborn.
                              Well, you've got the chops to make a scratch-built ALVIN a reality. What's you next move? We'll help if required.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...