X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken_NJ
    Captain
    • Sep 2014

Skip Asay article, and other model boating articles, maybe

Back in the late 70's we formed a model boat club in the central NJ area. Skip was one of the primary members to get it kick started so I've known him since then. One of the things we did for a while during our 2-3 hour meetings was have a topic of discussion. It usually ended up being the same people rotating topics even though there were 50-100 members, typical. It was also usually the same people that were the head honchos, typical again. Each topic usually had handouts which I collected in binders, unfortunately I did not date them. I was looking for info on LED's for a talk at our next meeting for the 8 members we have left. In doing so I came across an article by Skip, see the attached PDF. Also a catalog of what he had available from Subtech, also attached. Check them out if you want. Even though I knew Skip was into submarines at the time, I didn't catch the bug. Sometime around 2000-2001 I got a Marlin kit from him. It sat in the box until 2011ish when I built the Marlin. Wish I got the bug sooner. I also knew a party boat captain that I got plans from to build a model of the party boat he operated. He was also a scuba diver. Again, I knew this but didn't get the diving bug until 10 years later. So I missed two opportunities I should have caught earlier in my years. oh well. Not fretting over it.

Hopefully attaching the PDF's worked OK. As I look though the binders I'll see if there is anything else worth scanning and posting. Done with my babble for now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0906.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	170260

Attached Files
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Good stuff, Ken.

Skip Assay, the REAL Godfather of American r/c submarining.

His commercially available devices and kits got the ball rolling for many of us back in the day.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Hopefully you can post more! Enjoy reading his stuff!
      Thanks Ken for posting.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        Rear Admiral
        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
        Each topic usually had handouts which I collected in binders, unfortunately I did not date them. I was looking for info on LED's for a talk at our next meeting for the 8 members we have left. In doing so I came across an article by Skip, see the attached PDF.
        Man I love the nostalgia associated with this! I often count my blessings I was fortunate enough to experience the "Golden Era" back then. Meeting people like Skip, Dave, Mike Dory, Ray Mason. I always felt it worthwhile we document not only the tech, but these giants who brought the hobby mainstream. As the recent loss of Skip, and Ellie too, reminds us of impermanence.

Dave, you and I met in '92 at the first ad hoc Regatta in Groton. I was 30.

Now I'm 61. Let that stew a bit.

Speaking of the date here Ken....

This particular handout must be post '93 with respect to the date. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think SubTech was formed that year, and it's listed on this handout.

I DON'T remember SubTech even being mentioned in '91 when I met both Skip and Mike at the SSMA Sayreville NJ Sub Run. Man I wish I could find THAT video for posterity. I don't recall seeing it in those handouts though much of the information is the same. Earliest mention I see of SubTech in the SCR Issue 12 Spring '93.

What great stuff!

Thanks Ken!

Speaking of nostalgia, and those who paved the way......

1993 (Winner, winner chicken dinner!!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-20 183956.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.3 KB ID:	170330
        v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Ken_NJ
          Captain
          • Sep 2014

One thing I really missed. A retired machinist friend recently passed away. He had video's of our club events. One of these was a group of members talking about model boats. It was sort of a teaser to new people getting involved. Skip was in the video, and when he made mistakes or stumbled on his words, he would curse and laugh at himself. It was a great video! Unfortunately the video's were tossed.

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

All the odd page numbers are missing in the first pdf, Ken.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
              Captain
              • Sep 2014

Right you are. Here is the full article. Scanner seems to tilt the article.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                Captain
                • Sep 2014

I don't know if I posted these pictures before or not. These are pics of Skip's Type XXIII taken at the Monmouth College indoor pool they had for swim meets. In the diving end they had an underwater view port as you can see. This happened in 1985. We arranged to put on a model show for a few winters. Ahhhh the good old days when we were younger, more ambitious and more people were interested in the hobby. Have other pics from that day but I have to scan them.

I don't know anything about Skip's model. Was this scratch built or maybe the Bronco kit? When did Bronco come out with the XXIII?

Name:	Skips XXIII_01 02-86 copy.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	175798

Name:	Skips XXIII_02 02-86 copy.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	175799

Name:	Skips XXIII_03 02-86 copy.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	175800

Comment

• goshawk823
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Oct 2010

It’s scratch built. I’m the current owner of that Type XXIII. Skip told me a long time ago that he sold it to comedian Charlie Callas, and somehow it made its way back to me.
                  Right now, it’s sitting on the floor of my hobby room/workshop Fantastic model.even after all these years. It uses a windshield washer pump to raise and lower the masts/snorkel. Independent boxes for the internals. Geared motor for the propulsion. It even came with its own wheeled cart to get it in and out of the water. I am proud to own this boat. I love the XXIII; including this one, I have 4 of them…two Bronco kits, an OTW one, and Skip’s.
                  Last edited by goshawk823; 11-17-2023, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2014

Ahhhh, I recall Skip telling me he sold something to Charlie Callas, and that he did get it back, just was not sure which one he gave him. Thanks for clarifying this boat.

Comment

• wlambing
                      Commander
                      • Nov 2020

I recall seeing a blurb in the SCR wherein Charlie was featured and quite excited to be in possession of that fine vessel.

Comment

Working...