X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jphatton
    Lieutenant
    • Jan 2021

K-129 wreck model used in planning of project Azorian in CIA museum

The BBC has an interesting article on a visit to the CIA headquarters museum, which is normally only accessible to staff and official visitors. There is a section on project Azorian, the CIA operation which attempted recovery of the wreck of the Soviet K-129 submarine from 16,000ft depth using the Glomar Challenger in 1974.

One of the photo's in the article includes a very detailed model of the K-129 wreck which was apparently made in the planning of the operation. The article and photo can be found at the following link;

It's filled with artefacts that have shaped history - but its doors are firmly shut to the public.
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• CC Clarke
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Aug 2020

First heard about this operation when Jack Anderson published some of the story while I was in HS in the 70's. I thought it was technically pretty cool, but it wasn't until I entered the Ocean Engineering world that I learned just how difficult something like this is. Oh, and lift it from 17,500 feet! Un-freaking-believeable to reflect upon, as I look back on four decades of a facinating career and count my lucky stars at the stories I've witnessed and people I've had the absolute pleasure of being associated with.

When the US puts it's back, (and brains) into something, ANYTHING is achieveable! (And this is just the stuff that gets to the public, and there's much more to the story waiting to be told!!

I've been puttering on and off on a 3D model of the Glomar for years using official blueprints. It's a beast. The Capture Vehicle (CV) was pretty easy to build and will be printed in resin one of hese days. Here are a few renders of what it looks like:

​

​

​

​

​

​

Comment

• Scott T
        Commander
        • May 2009

Click image for larger version

Name:	_126839873_34d7429e-4131-4829-beb7-37bc435e228a.jpg.webp
Views:	3611
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	165049
        CIA model K-129 wreck

Comment

• CC Clarke
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Aug 2020

My previous post is awaiting moderation. Should I resubmit?

Comment

• CC Clarke
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Aug 2020

Click image for larger version

Name:	CV - Clay Render (1).jpg
Views:	908
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	166392Click image for larger version

Name:	CV - Clay Render (4).jpg
Views:	958
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	166393 Got PM'd for the pics that never made it to the previous post. Here are a few of the CV:

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Hi CC Clark,

Are you going to make this a functioning model or a static display model, either way it will be an impressive build!

Rob
              "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• CC Clarke
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Aug 2020

It's just one segment of a much larger project I've been working on for awhile. The Glomar Explorer is something I work on when I'm not busy, but it's a large project. It was meant for some high-res renders of the CONOP.

CCC

Comment

• AntoineL
                  Ensign
                  • Nov 2022

Thanks for the photos CC.
                  Your 3D model was designed on the very few material available online and it is really a good work. Congrats.
                  Last edited by AntoineL; 11-04-2022, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Working...