X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Rob,

What do you have in mind for the seals for the linkage rods? With the servos so close to them, you'll have to watch for binding. Something like a bellows seal has a lot of "slop", but will take the side to side movement of the rod as it swings through its arc.

Bob

Comment

• Albacore 569
      Commander
      • Sep 2020

Thank you Rob. The files are 1/96 scale. The WTC for the boat is 2.5 inches in diameter you mention in the beginning correct? Is the model printed in 1/96 or 1/32? (or other). The wtc would be 3 times too big for a 1/96 scale model. Looks good but a little confused.

Steve.

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
        Rob,

What do you have in mind for the seals for the linkage rods? With the servos so close to them, you'll have to watch for binding. Something like a bellows seal has a lot of "slop", but will take the side to side movement of the rod as it swings through its arc.

Bob
        Hi Bob,

The brass sleeves will have bellows attached to them, just had not got to the installing them yet.

Rob
        "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Albacore 569
          Thank you Rob. The files are 1/96 scale. The WTC for the boat is 2.5 inches in diameter you mention in the beginning correct? Is the model printed in 1/96 or 1/32? (or other). The wtc would be 3 times too big for a 1/96 scale model. Looks good but a little confused.

Steve.
          Steve,

Not totally understanding how scale this boat because I built it somewhat different than the actual model itself. The total length in inch's is 35" the beam is 3.5". A lot of my builds are not to a certain scale because I make changes along the way to adapt to my printers. It seems you have done the math and 1/32 would be a possible scale!? I can see where 1/96 scale could really be confusing. With my building scale is in the eye of the beholder! :-)) Sorry for confusing you, that's just the way I build! That also goes for propulsion motor sizing, if I have a motor that fits and might work that is what I go with. Nothing is standardized with my building; I just go with what I think might work! "Experimentation" that's what I like to do!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

Today I located and installed all the electronic components onto the mounting trays.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 34.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	166448

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 49.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	166449

I also installed all the wiring and soldered up all the required connections to complete a total control circuit! Here to report everything is working!! As you can see this is my work bench and it is a meaningful organized workstation and has served me well!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Tonight, I completed all mounting of the electronics and connected and soldered all the control wiring!

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 51.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	166518Click image for larger version

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 50.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	166519

I also mounted digital voltage monitors at the battery only and at the on/off remote only! Overkill, might be, but I like to know what my operating voltages are, plus it looks good!

All I have left to do is run my prop shaft and run the rudder and stern dive plane linkages. I will be using 1/16' brass rod and using bellows to seal the linkages.

Rob
              "Firemen can stand the heat

Comment

• Albacore 569
                Commander
                • Sep 2020

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Steve,

Not totally understanding how scale this boat because I built it somewhat different than the actual model itself. The total length in inch's is 35" the beam is 3.5". A lot of my builds are not to a certain scale because I make changes along the way to adapt to my printers. It seems you have done the math and 1/32 would be a possible scale!? I can see where 1/96 scale could really be confusing. With my building scale is in the eye of the beholder! :-)) Sorry for confusing you, that's just the way I build! That also goes for propulsion motor sizing, if I have a motor that fits and might work that is what I go with. Nothing is standardized with my building; I just go with what I think might work! "Experimentation" that's what I like to do!

Rob
                Thank you Rob. The model is 35 inches long. The actual sub is 111.5 feet long. My calculation is its roughly 1/38.4 scale The scale isnt important, I was just appreciating its general size & also it is useful in seeing the size of your WTC related for it.

I like the early boats more and more. That period in history you dived and never were sure you come up again. In their boat as in our models', the fun and challenge of this hobby to me is in the thoroughness in your work and conscientiousness to see your boat does surface safely again. Its no different today with Nuclear boats. I like small submarine subjects built in larger scales like you have. Its works for you. I think your project is great. The size reminds me of the early Aurora model plane kits. Remember? The scales of the kit was determined by the size of the box! A ME-109 with red fuselages, and door knob size rivets. We scale our subs often not to a carboard box, but the size of our car's trunk.

Steve
                Last edited by Albacore 569; 11-09-2022, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

"HAPPY VETERANS DAY"

Today I worked on the control surface linkages.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SMUC 5 U-BOAT 56.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.2 KB ID:	166688

SM UC 5 U BOAT 1 - YouTube

https://youtu.be/CZe7EFBKK0g​​

Rob
                  "Firemen can stand the heat
                  Last edited by rwtdiver; 11-11-2022, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Today I fabricated the brass WTC horizontal hold down brackets!

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 56.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	166928Click image for larger version

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 57.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	166929

These brackets are installed towards the bow and the stern of the bottom hull! They will hold the WTC from moving horizontally in the hull!

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 58.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	166930Click image for larger version

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 55.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	166931

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

The SM UC 5 U-BOAT is complete!

Click image for larger version  Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT FINAL 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.0 KB ID:	167711
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT FINAL 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.1 KB ID:	167712
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT FINAL 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.7 KB ID:	167713

Still needs some final touch up paint work and final clear coat. Other than that, this project is complete!

Rob
                      Last edited by rwtdiver; 12-11-2022, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

I took some last photos of the SM UC 5 to show it with the Holland!

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT FINAL 7.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	167723Click image for larger version

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT FINAL 6.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	167724

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT FINAL 4.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	167725

I am really like to build these pre-world war ll (1800's/ early 1900's) I especially like studying the concepts and history of these boats! I have a gentleman that goes by Karlou on CGTrader that is working with me to do up some more STL files of this type of boat! Thats it for this boat, onward to the ICTINEO build!

Rob

Comment

• cgbillb
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • May 2018

Rob
                          Great build love it.
                          I just ordered a UC-5 from Bob, will be here Friday can't wait to build her.
                          She is a 3d model from Karlou on CGTrader.

Name:	20230426_064922_resized.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	170760

Name:	20230426_064917_resized.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	170761
                          I like to chat with you about building her, Onces I get started on her.

Bill
                          Athens Ga.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Hi Bill,

Thank you, I do appreciate the compliment! Yes, when you get going with your project just post up some photos and if I can help you with anything on your build just post it up!

Rob
                            "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• cgbillb
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • May 2018

ok will do thanks.

Comment

• cgbillb
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • May 2018

Rob