X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Another ARKMODEL VII Build Blog

I have purchased my ARKMODEL 1:48 scale type VII model kit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ARKMODEL VII SUBMARINE KIT.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	159811

I purchased the kit and also the 80 mm WTC that I will use on this boat from Nautilus Drydocks (Bob Martin)

Name:	ARKMODEL TYPE VII 1.jpg
Views:	713
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	159812

I am very impressed with the quality of the kit. And I know the quality of the 80 mm WTC because I used the 70 mm WTC on my 3D printed 1:96 Alfa build, and it worked out great. With that in mine I am looking forward to this type VII build!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

This will be my second try to post on my build blog! Have had a couple of issues and not sure why!? But here we go!!

I have received advice from Nick (Monahan Steam Models) Bob Martin (Nautilus Drydocks) and the MASTER himself David Merriman III! As most of you are aware, Nick is building the same ARKMODEL Type VII that I am. So, I will be going to his build blog many times I am sure to get advice from him. I will also be using the YouTube videos that Bob Martin has posted showing a complete build of the ARKMODEL Type VII.

Name:	ARKMODEL SCRUB.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	159850Click image for larger version

Name:	ARKMODEL SCRUB 2.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	159851

The advice that I got was to make sure that I scrubbed ALL the plastic parts on this kit using soap and a scrub pad! (Photos Posted) This is to make sure that any residue from the manufacturing process is removed. This residue could hamper the gluing, fillers, and the final finish work from adhering to the plastic. Very good advice!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

I just found out that there is another person out there building the ARKMODEL 1:48 Scale Type VII also!

His name is Bill (cgbillb) If you are reading this, are you going to put up a build blog on your build as well? We both have the same kit and the same 80 mm WTC that we purchased from Bob Martin (Nautilus Drydocks)

Rob
      Last edited by rwtdiver; 03-10-2022, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• neitosub
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Nov 2021

Great start Rob! Will you be cutting the hull open at the waterline or using the kit’s original hull separation?

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by neitosub
          Great start Rob! Will you be cutting the hull open at the waterline or using the kit’s original hull separation?
          Thank you neitosub!

No, I will not be cutting the hull! For the type WTC that I will be using plus I will not be doing any extra add on features, just the basic simple running sub. Just the top removable deck will give me the required access that I will need to get into the interior. I am just going to keep it basic simple!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

Today I removed two bulkheads from the center section of the hull at the forward end of the center section!

Name:	ARKMODEL BULKHEAD REMOVED 1.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	159915Click image for larger version

Name:	ARKMODEL BULKHEAD REMOVED.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	159916

This was done so that the 80 mm WTC would fit in the hull itself. The center of the ballast tank on the WTC is in exact center line of the hull.

Name:	ARKMODE CENTER LINE.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	159917Click image for larger version

Name:	ARKMODEL BULK HEAD.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	159918

Now that I have the 80 mm WTC compartment in its designated position in the hull, we can start on the hull build up!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Today I started on the forward dive plains.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ARKMODEL D P 7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.8 KB ID:	159961

As you can see by the photo, the control rod is square, and the control arm has a round brass bushing! Well, needless to say that is not going to fly. These are parts that came with the kit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ARKMODEL D P 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.1 KB ID:	159962Click image for larger version  Name:	ARKMODEL D P 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.1 KB ID:	159963

Click image for larger version  Name:	ARKMODEL D P 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.5 KB ID:	159964Click image for larger version  Name:	ARKMODEL D P 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.4 KB ID:	159965

Click image for larger version  Name:	ARKMODEL D P %.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.2 KB ID:	159966Click image for larger version  Name:	ARKMODEL D P 6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.4 KB ID:	159967

So, I fabricated a brass control horn and soldered a 1/8" brass rod for the control rod. I also installed 1/8" brass sleeves into the hull to accommodate the new 1/8" brass rod (control) and the new brass control horn. This turned out to work very well. My next concern will be the rudder control system!

Rob
              Last edited by rwtdiver; 03-14-2022, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

Today I removed the two bulkheads from the stern (aft) section of the hull to accommodate the 80 mm WTC.

Name:	ARKMODEL AFT B H 1.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	160023Click image for larger version

Name:	ARKMODEL AFT B H 2.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	160024

Name:	ARKMODEL AFT B H 3.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	160026Click image for larger version

Name:	ARKMODEL AFT B H 4.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	160027

Name:	ARKMODEL AFT B H 5.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	160028Click image for larger version

Name:	ARKMODEL AFT B H 6.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	160029

After removing the bulkheads using razor and nippers, I sanded the areas, cleaned them with denatured alcohol and the two coats of water base acrylic paint and then two coats of matt finish clear coat.

This finishes up the required bulkhead removal in order for the WTC to fit into the hull!

Rob

Attached Files

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

With all the required bulk head removal completed, the WTC fit in very well. Quite pleased with how it runed out!

Name:	ARKMODEL WTC FIT 1.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	160032Click image for larger version

Name:	ARKMODEL WTC FIT 2.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	160033

The motor shafts will require universal joints (no problem) and the stern dive planes, and the rudder linkages are also very close as well! With this fabrication completed to this point, I would say that the 80 mm WTC that I purchased from Nautilus drydocks is a really good fit for the Arkmodel Type VII boat!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Today I started more work in the stern section. As you are aware the Type VII sub has dual rudders. After a trial fir of the rudder horns, I am not satisfied with the horns themselves!

Name:	ARKMODEL RUDDERS 1.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	160063Click image for larger version

Name:	ARKMODEL RUDDERS 2.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	160064

Therefore I decided to manufacture two new horns from brass, these will give me a more secure base to install the rest of the rudder linkages.

Rob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                      Welcome to my underwater realm!
                      • Aug 2009

The rudders are a big let down in that kit. Like the cylinders they produce, Arkmodel's products were put out by engineers, not builders. A new rudder linkage layout is needed.

What Dwayne Hill did in his 48 scale boat was actually use gears. Here is a quick sketch I did of the arrangement. Note that by using a large central gear and two smaller on the rudder shafts, you get 2:1 or more of gearing, reducing required throw from the servos.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by SubHuman
                        The rudders are a big let down in that kit. Like the cylinders they produce, Arkmodel's products were put out by engineers, not builders. A new rudder linkage layout is needed.

What Dwayne Hill did in his 48 scale boat was actually use gears. Here is a quick sketch I did of the arrangement. Note that by using a large central gear and two smaller on the rudder shafts, you get 2:1 or more of gearing, reducing required throw from the servos.
                        Interesting concept Bob! That looks like it could work and allow for more throw on the rudders!

Thanks for sharing that sketch.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

Well after spending the afternoon digging through all my old LEGO blocks and gears I came up with a possible rudder application!

Click image for larger version  Name:	ARKMODEL LEGO 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.4 KB ID:	160097

The design works, and it really gives a lot more rudder throw than the ARKMODEL linkage design. It's designed so that if I ever need to change out one of the gears the rudders themself can be removed and the entire gear assembly can be removed for repairs! I still need to clean up installation and add the control horn, then it's good to go!

Thanks for the idea Bob!!

Rob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                            Welcome to my underwater realm!
                            • Aug 2009

Looking awesome, Rob! Well done!

Bob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

Looking awesome, Rob! Well done!

Bob
                              Thanks Bob,

Still in design process, but I think it will do the job!

Rob

Comment

Working...