• Show
Clear All
  • tifosi12
    Commander
    • Jul 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Because it ain't scale.

David
    You're saying just making everything bigger wouldn't work because the down suction is limited in its force? Just making that part bigger wouldn't pull down a bigger boat, is that the rationale?

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

I think what David meant by "not scale" is the Nikko submarine is NOT a scale representation of a real life boat. Look at all the model subs being built here, you got your Skipjack, Seawolf, Akula, Alfa, Uniform, Kilo, Sierra, Type VII, XXI,XXIII etc. With the exception of Capt. Nemo's Nautitlus and USOS Seaview, most are based from real life boats.

How about using a vertical thruster in the docking collar of a scale DSRV? Click image for larger version  Name:	images (22).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	57.9 KB ID:	153183
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by tifosi12

You're saying just making everything bigger wouldn't work because the down suction is limited in its force? Just making that part bigger wouldn't pull down a bigger boat, is that the rationale?

I never produced a 'hobby grade' r/c submarine because I, me, personally, deep in my soul, am not at all interested in any r/c submarine that is not based on a 'real' prototype -- be it factual or fictional.

The Niko sub is a successful exercise in pragmatism. A toy for the masses. And it worked, and if cared for gave good service for years. Good enough for those who don't care for the history of underwater vehicles, their look and operation. It's a near perfect pool-toy.

However, Skip Asay came very close to producing attractive, scale r/c submarines for the beginners. Had his equatorially split, vacuformed, flimsy WTC not been such a failure as an air-tight containment he would have changed the face of the hobby with his vacuformed ALBACORE and MARLIN kits -- But, his effort was to be only a small influencer. Most of those sold were never successfully made operational. What would have drawn more people into the hobby was doomed from the start by poor design.

There have been successful 'cheap' well running beginner submarines offered by Ron Perrott and Norbert Bruggen, and others. You just have to look for them. Not to mention the many, many toy submarines one can get for under $50.00.

We're not hurting for toy submarines.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• tifosi12
          Commander
          • Jul 2020

Originally posted by redboat219
          How about using a vertical thruster in the docking collar of a scale DSRV? Click image for larger version Name:	images (22).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	57.9 KB ID:	153183
          Brilliant!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

I think what David meant by "not scale" is the Nikko submarine is NOT a scale representation of a real life boat. Look at all the model subs being built here, you got your Skipjack, Seawolf, Akula, Alfa, Uniform, Kilo, Sierra, Type VII, XXI,XXIII etc. With the exception of Capt. Nemo's Nautitlus and USOS Seaview, most are based from real life boats.

How about using a vertical thruster in the docking collar of a scale DSRV? Click image for larger version Name:	images (22).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	57.9 KB ID:	153183
            The SEAVIEW and the Disney NAUTILUS are real-life effects miniatures representing submarines. They qualify as real-life prototypes in my book, and worthy of duplication in model form. If you want to dance on the head of the pin you can point out that none of the above effects miniatures were 'practical'. But that, to me anyway, is the challenge: to make an r/c version of such a vehicle practical. Not toy-like.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• tifosi12
              Commander
              • Jul 2020

The SEAVIEW and the Disney NAUTILUS are real-life effects miniatures representing submarines. They qualify as real-life prototypes in my book, and worthy of duplication in model form. If you want to dance on the head of the pin you can point out that none of the above effects miniatures were 'practical'. But that, to me anyway, is the challenge: to make an r/c version of such a vehicle practical. Not toy-like.

David
              I hear you. Personally I prefer RC subs based on real ones as well or based on fantasy ships as you define them. For me that's the mighty Skydiver all the way. I suppose it is what you grew up with as a kid that you saw on TV or in the movies.

As for the Nikko, yes it is a brilliant exercise in pragmatism. And in my book it is a working RC sub. One that actually performs very nicely, so I wouldn't be so fast to diss it as a toy. And it is easy to prepare for launch and small enough to travel in a suitcase. Checks many boxes in my book. Drawback is that I didn't build it (which is why it performs so nicely....) so that aspect is lost. I don't see it as an either/or but rather as a worthy addition to my growing fleet of subs.

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

David
                How about Jerry Anderson's boats?

Comment

• tifosi12
                  Commander
                  • Jul 2020

How about Jerry Anderson's boats?
                  Well, as I said, my ultimate dream is to build a working RC Skydiver. All I'm learning while building other boats will (hopefully) go towards that goal at some point. I have the Skydiver as a 3d model for a display but that's a far cry from having it for a printable and working sub. A very much long term project. Sadly I missed the kits when they were available like 10 years ago from the UK and then Australia. At least I got like the last kit of a SHADO Mobile, which I successfully converted into a running RC tank. So at some point the sub should join the tank in the hunt. Oh yes, I also have a model of a UFO from the series. :)

Comment

• tifosi12
                    Commander
                    • Jul 2020

Originally posted by tifosi12

Well, as I said, my ultimate dream is to build a working RC Skydiver. All I'm learning while building other boats will (hopefully) go towards that goal at some point. I have the Skydiver as a 3d model for a display but that's a far cry from having it for a printable and working sub. A very much long term project. Sadly I missed the kits when they were available like 10 years ago from the UK and then Australia. At least I got like the last kit of a SHADO Mobile, which I successfully converted into a running RC tank. So at some point the sub should join the tank in the hunt. Oh yes, I also have a model of a UFO from the series. :)
                    Of course a post like that is pointless without pictures. Click image for larger version

Name:	UFO.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	153209
                    Attached Files

Comment

• tifosi12
                      Commander
                      • Jul 2020

Just received a second Niko Seawolf from Ebay. This one looks like it was never run, but just purchased in 2003 and then stored without ever having seen water. Mint condition and operating on a different frequency from my first Seawolf. So first thing will be to remove all the silly decals and give it a new paint job.

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

Is there enough space the bow compartment to install a video recorder?

Comment

• tifosi12
                          Commander
                          • Jul 2020

Is there enough space the bow compartment to install a video recorder?
                          Are you reading my mind?

That's precisely the reason I got a second Seawolf. Well, plus to have a backup of the first boat as this is truly a great performing RC sub for little money.

To answer your question (like an engineer): It depends. :)
                          It depends on what camcorder we are talking about. So a GoPro Hero would not fit, nor of course anything bigger. But: There are now "cube" camcorders small enough to install there. I got one of those that comes already made with its UW case and it records "forever" onto a TF card. Shoots in color with a 150 degree wide angle. So far I tested the cube by itself and it works great. Slightly positive buoyant, but not too bad. So I'll have to mod the front cabin to make room for it and adjust the overall balance, but so far it looks doable.

Comment

• redboat219
                            Admiral
                            • Dec 2008

SQ12 mini camera
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	images (9).jpeg
Views:	216
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	153343

View from camera attached outside.

Comment

• tifosi12
                              Commander
                              • Jul 2020

Yup, that's precisely what I bought. And dirt cheap.

Comment

• tifosi12
                                Commander
                                • Jul 2020

SQ12 mini camera
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	images (9).jpeg
Views:	216
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	153343

View from camera attached outside.
                                Interesting video attached. I came up with the idea on my own, but here somebody else had a similar one. Obviously they mounted the camera up on top, pretty much on the CG of the boat. Gives them a nice foreground. But I hate the sound. I will likely dubb my video with some music anyway. And as discussed I want to mount the camera into the forward "crew" compartment.

Comment

Working...