Nikko Seawolf - blast from the past

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tifosi12
    replied
    Got my Nikko submarine out of hibernation and did a quick test run in the fountain. Turns out a pair of ducks are now claiming it as their personal pool. That didn't deter my sub captain from a stealth reconnaissance lap underneath them. Figured you might get a kick out of it. I sure did. Once the sub approached, they took off.

Leave a comment:

• tifosi12
    replied
    Originally posted by redboat219
    Nice impression of the USS Connecticut.
    LOL

Yeah, it's tight in that fountain. The Nikko turns on a dime but there is not much room between the concrete pillars and the wall. Plus the skipper is very new at this...

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Nice impression of the USS Connecticut.

Leave a comment:

• tifosi12
    replied
    Too short!
    Succumbing to peer pressure I finally had a chance to make a longer version. Here are two minutes of it until the boat gets caught by the deadly sea weed. Nah, was easily retrieved, but did wrap itself around the vertical prop, which prevented any further dives until I had all the bits and pieces removed.

The technical issues I had originally were due to a different format of the cube camera compared to the gopro. My video editor software got all confused. Once I made all the footage the same resolution, it was smooth sailing putting it together.

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by tifosi12

Thanks, I know you would. Sadly I won't be there. Too far a distance. Hopefully next year in Indy or in Georgia if air travel normalizes (read no masks).
    I hear you. No masks, no jabs, no government sanctioned bull-**** of any kind.

For that day, my friend.

David

Leave a comment:

• tifosi12
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

You going to be there next week? I'll give you a show.

David
    Thanks, I know you would. Sadly I won't be there. Too far a distance. Hopefully next year in Indy or in Georgia if air travel normalizes (read no masks).

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by tifosi12

I know. Actually run into a bit of a technical glitch: The two cameras use slightly different formats (same resolution but different number of frames and compression) and then my computer puked. It could be fixed but I'm running out of time as I got other things to do. It's not a show stopper, I know how to fix it, just not enough time right now.

It's also interesting from a sound perspective: The outside Hero camera recorded barely any sound whereas the onboard camera did. So that sound could be used, slightly lowered in volume.

Anyhow this was merely a test to see whether this worked and it did. What I really envision to do with this sub is take it to a subfest event and shoot UW videos of the other submarines. I bet that'd look awesome.
    You going to be there next week? I'll give you a show.

David

Leave a comment:

• tifosi12
    replied
    Too short!
    I know. Actually run into a bit of a technical glitch: The two cameras use slightly different formats (same resolution but different number of frames and compression) and then my computer puked. It could be fixed but I'm running out of time as I got other things to do. It's not a show stopper, I know how to fix it, just not enough time right now.

It's also interesting from a sound perspective: The outside Hero camera recorded barely any sound whereas the onboard camera did. So that sound could be used, slightly lowered in volume.

Anyhow this was merely a test to see whether this worked and it did. What I really envision to do with this sub is take it to a subfest event and shoot UW videos of the other submarines. I bet that'd look awesome.

Leave a comment:

• tifosi12
    replied
    Originally posted by trout
    Nice! Good use of two cameras!
    Thanks!

Yeah, first I wanted to just cut back and forth and then I remembered that my video editing software does pic in pic, which I thought was good in this case.

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Too short!

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Nice! Good use of two cameras!

Leave a comment:

• tifosi12
    replied
    Here is a brief video that shows some of the footage from the fountain, onboard camera as well as exterior view:

Leave a comment:

• tifosi12
    replied
    Just back from the local fountain. That was not just great fun but real success: After some initial adjustment the camera was spot on shooting nice UW video. The Seawolf behaved nicely although I do need to add a bit of forward weight to trim out the camera housing. But still managed to nicely dive and move swiftly around the narrow fountain. The Seawolf steers on a dime, which helps. Until I hit the area of seaweed where some got into its downward propeller. That stopped the diving action. First I thought it was dying batteries but it was just some seaweed. Lesson learned: Next time bring some pliers to get that stuff out. Nonetheless here a still image from the movie. I also had a UW Hero on a tripod so now I have the pleasure of editing some UW mini film together.

At any rate the Seawolf and cube camera are a perfect combo for little money.

Click image for larger version

Name:	still.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	153516

Leave a comment:

• tifosi12
    replied
    Next stop the local fountain. :)

Leave a comment:

• tifosi12
    replied
    Did another tank dive. This time I set the trim balance just right: She dives now perfectly on command and with no input resurfaces being positively buoyant. More importantly I also wanted to see what the night vision capabilities of the camera are: So I turned off all my usual lights illuminating the tank. If I take a Gopro Hero picture at this point, you'd see nothing but darkness. Instead the camera switched automatically to its IR illuminators and came up with this grainy but visible picture. This goes a long way to take footage in a swamp. Again, this is only a freeze frame from the HD movie it captured. Needless to say I'm really pleased with this dirt cheap camera. Highly recommend it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IR.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	153418

Leave a comment:

Working...