X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver

Thanks for checking in David.

If I understand you correctly the system in the photo below using 2 micro switches and servo connected to the pump to pump water in and then reverse the pump to pump water out.!?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Drive system 2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	156793

This was the system I used on the piston ballast system! So instead of a piston, I would be using a pump to move water in or out!?

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
    If what you have there is a gear type pump (which is reversable), and the switches are for polarity swapping, then that's all you need (and the fixed vent, of course).

David

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Gonna have to be a gear-pump if you want it to move water both ways.

Or a one-way pump that leaks during the 'flood' cycle, which means a centrifugal type pump. You'll have to provide a servo/solenoid actuated vent valve, and a 'pinch-valve' to keep water from back-flooding the tank through the pump when on the surface.

Welcome back to the Dark Side, Rob.

David
    Thanks for checking in David.

If I understand you correctly the system in the photo below using 2 micro switches and servo connected to the pump to pump water in and then reverse the pump to pump water out.!?

Views:	245
ID:	156793

This was the system I used on the piston ballast system! So instead of a piston, I would be using a pump to move water in or out!?

Rob

Leave a comment:

replied
    I am going to re-open my Russian Alfa boat design and re-build again! As per the last results with my Piston Tank design that would not fit into the 1:72 scale hull design, I am going to try utilizing a "Vented (low pressure) Ballast System"

Click image for larger version Name:	Ballast System.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.5 KB ID:	156779

I have laid up a drawing based somewhat on the design in "Bob Martins" new book! This system will be going into a new 1:72 Scale Alfa 3D printed boat. This will be my own scratch built WTC and ballast system design.

The design is somewhat basic at this point. I have listed above 4 possible pumps that may or may not work for this design. With this in mind, I would really like some input as to my principal design and function!
    Also in looking at the pumps I have, which one might work the best for this design!

Thank you all for your help!

Rob

PS: I am done with building "Target Boats" sort of boring for me! Another lesson learned again!!!
    Gonna have to be a gear-pump if you want it to move water both ways.

Or a one-way pump that leaks during the 'flood' cycle, which means a centrifugal type pump. You'll have to provide a servo/solenoid actuated vent valve, and a 'pinch-valve' to keep water from back-flooding the tank through the pump when on the surface.

Welcome back to the Dark Side, Rob.

David
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 12-12-2021, 10:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Check out Nate He's Blueback.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    I am going to re-open my Russian Alfa boat design and re-build again! As per the last results with my Piston Tank design that would not fit into the 1:72 scale hull design, I am going to try utilizing a "Vented (low pressure) Ballast System"

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ballast System.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.5 KB ID:	156779

I have laid up a drawing based somewhat on the design in "Bob Martins" new book! This system will be going into a new 1:72 Scale Alfa 3D printed boat. This will be my own scratch built WTC and ballast system design.

The design is somewhat basic at this point. I have listed above 4 possible pumps that may or may not work for this design. With this in mind, I would really like some input as to my principal design and function!
    Also in looking at the pumps I have, which one might work the best for this design!

Thank you all for your help!

Rob

PS: I am done with building "Target Boats" sort of boring for me! Another lesson learned again!!!
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 12-12-2021, 08:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    The Russian Alfa is finished! I used one of my custom built cylinders for the propulsion system!

Name:	Alfa Finished.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	154848Click image for larger version

Name:	P5260004.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	154849

Hope you all enjoyed the build blog, and I thank you all for your input!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Moving this experiment over to my Russian Borei build blog!

Name:	Borei 955.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	154096

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Excellent presentation, Rob.

David
    Thank you very much David! Who knows where it goes from here! Keep learning, keep trudging along!!!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by redboat219
    Rob,

Any problems with air or water leaking through those 3D printed endcaps?
    This set up was not designed for the water at this point! The end caps where more for design than operational. I now have a working ballast system design, so now can formulate a hull design that it will work in! Not sure what boat design I will use! All experimental at this point! (But at least I am learning along the way)

Rob

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Rob,

Any problems with air or water leaking through those 3D printed endcaps?

Leave a comment:

replied

Randy,

Back at it, and I am back to what this project started out to be! Experimentation! Designing and building a Piston type ballast tank system! Trying to make it fit into the Alfa boats was not going to work because of the size of the system itself!

At this point the piston system is built and in full operation!

Name:	Drive system 1.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	154060Click image for larger version

Views:	352
ID:	154061

Name:	Drive system 4.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	154062Click image for larger version

Name:	Drive system 5.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	154063

I do have a video showing the operation of this system! I am in hopes of designing this system into a BOAT! Now that I have it built and it does work!

Rob
    Excellent presentation, Rob.

David

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Here is the second video that I have!

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by RCJetDude
    Good to see you back at it Rob. Consider printing a boat a little bigger such that it will fit in it.
    I hear you Steve! I will find something! Here are two videos of the piston system at work! Exactly right redboat219, bigger boat!!
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 10-06-2021, 02:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    In the words of Chief Brody...
    The perfect Jaws Bigger Boat Need A Bigger Boat Animated GIF for your conversation. Discover and Share the best GIFs on Tenor.

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    Good to see you back at it Rob. Consider printing a boat a little bigger such that it will fit in it.

Leave a comment:

Working...