Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Gene Berger's 1/32 Japanese Type-A

​Gene Berger is the guy responsible for me getting into the r/c submarine game. He is a true master model-builder. Do a dive into the Internet and look his stuff over. Here's a tease: PHOTO-ETCHING – SHIP MODELS by GENE BERGER (geneberger-models.com)

Presented below is a 1/32 Japanese Type-A he scratch-built. The Craft personified!

I'm digging up lots of old gems like this as I go about getting the house in order -- a DVD hid behind some files in a very dusty box stuck up on a closet shelf. What other wonders await?

David

Who is John Galt?
  • type7
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Apr 2009

Very nice! All scratch built?

Comment

• biggsgolf
      Captain
      • Jan 2020

Very cool!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by type7
        Very nice! All scratch built?
        Yup!................................
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

WOW! David! His work is incredible! But I do see an awful lot of you in him! If he was your inspiration and teacher, you learned well my friend!!

Rob
          "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
            WOW! David! His work is incredible! But I do see an awful lot of you in him! If he was your inspiration and teacher, you learned well my friend!!

Rob
            "Firemen can stand the heat"
            I was already a master at the static industrial display miniature making game before Ellie and I met Gene. However, in the late 80's it was Gene Berger who taught me how to hook a bystander into the game:

What you do is wait for an interested party/victim. Answer his dumb-ass, stupid, unbelievable questions with a tolerant smile and friendly nod of the head; show him what on the transmitter does what -- doing this while the model is in the water, about fifty-feet away, and submerged; point out where the periscope feather is; and the instant he nods yes, jam your transmitter into his hands and walk away quicker than he can follow. First fright, followed by a (hopefully successful) command to get the damned thing back to the surface, then after a bit of running the thing: pure joy! (sometimes requiring a change of under ware).

That's how Gene sucked me into this game.

And that's pretty much how I indoctrinate strangers today. But, with this twist, if I can work it: https://youtu.be/fUmxaEBFInA

David
            Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 06-05-2021, 05:26 PM.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• JHapprich
              Captain
              • Oct 2017

Personally i am impressed of his outstanding BALAO. Turning the not-to-scale kit into his own model... there are some pictures i had to look at really sharp to make for the difference between original and replica!

Jörg

Comment

• RanSan
                Lieutenant
                • May 2020

My version 1/24 scale. Not detailed, sanded or painted yet but I am happy with the way it is turning out so far. I plan to make the torpedos removable.

Randy

Click image for larger version

Name:	MyMidget1.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	150582

Comment

• Groot689
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Mar 2016

Its a simple but really cool looking vessel. The bow torpedo tubes are wild.

Comment

Working...